Salmon Idaho

nvbones

Drew a late season elk tag in this area, just wondering how the snow pack and weather is down there right now. Any info would be great, thanks.

Bring snow boots, gaiters and even snow shoes. We got lots of snow in Elk Bend 20 miles south of Salmon.

The positive outlook would be the snow is pushing the Elk down from the high country into the pastures and river bottoms.
PB

As far as size of bull what is realistic? I would love to shoot a 330 class bull but would probably take a 300 if it stepped out. Is that unrealistic?

300 might be a stretch too....Lots of 5x5's, rag horns and spikes to be found (if you know where to look). By this time of year the rut is over and the big bulls have gone into hiding. I've watched them in deep snow stay up high in bachelor groups and not come down until late December. Good luck, hope you get one.
PB

Without specifics...you might want to hunt where you are in the vicinity of pastures. Elk will feed in them at night since the deep mountain snow makes grazing difficult. In the early am hours they will head to steep slopes away from people. That would be my strategy for a late season hunt.
PB

Awsome i know the unit pretty well as far as e-scouting goes, I appreciate the intel. I will report back when it all goes down. Jumping in the truck at 3-4AM to hit the road. Ill try to send a couple updates but we are hotelling it and i hate using a phone to type. Thanks again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom