San Carlos Javelina

T

tiptoeuphill

A family member and I have purchased Javelina tags for the San Carlos Indian Reservation for the first part of February. I was hoping that someone out there would be kind enough to share some of their wisdom about this area or this particular hunt with me???? I am traveling from quite a distance to go on this hunt. I was planning on using my 30-30 rifle, is that an appropriate gun for this hunt? Any information is greatly appreciated!!!

JJ

What zone are your tags for? I have hunted zones A and B and there are plenty of pigs in both. I have been there 3 times and saw some every time. Just find some decent areas and glass. Might be worth your time to get a lion tag also.

Last time I hunted the San Carlos was about 15 years ago. At that time if you looked like you were hunting many people asked how your hunt was going. The first time on the unit I hired a gentleman that said he knew where the javelina were. Paid him $100 for the first group of pigs and $50 for every group after that. Cost me $200 but over a number of years we took about 15 pigs out of the areas he showed us. Taking him with us that first day really jumpstarted our trip after never seeing the area before.

My hunts were all archery, but any gun that is legal and you can shoot will do fine.

The roads on the reservation can get nasty very quick. Flashfloods occur very often and can strand or swamp you if your not careful. If it starts to rain or you have snow and the temps. start to raise, watch yourself, and make sure your on the right side of any "dry" creek beds. Make sure you go ready for bad weather. It maybe arizona but the reservation is higher elevation and gets cold and wet.

We looked for prickly pear, in hilly rocky areas, with hardwoods in the bottoms of the canyons. When we found that combination we usually found pigs.

Can't give you any specific information, but hope it helps and have a great time.

You got me interested in the lion tag suggestion. The price of the tags is not very much either. What are the chances of seeing one? I don't have dogs or anything and the purpose of our trip is pigs. Thanks again for all the info!!

JJ

Last spring they were giving cat tags away when you showed up with a spring turkey tag at the office. I was lucky enough to see one, then return the next day and call and kill him. He was about 125 lbs. The taxi says he is about 5 years old. He was in an area near some cows with real young calves. The wardens said they had seen him in that area several times, and they were real happy that I killed him.

That reservation is supposed to be loaded with mountain lions. I'll be back up there this April!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom