San Juan bear summer tag questions

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
So I drew this tag. I most likely will have to do my scouting from home. However, once the season comes I'll be able to spend quite a few days down there up to 10 if I need to. Probably do a 6-day trip and then if I don't get it done another 4-day trip. I am going to try to pick a couple bait sites by scouting on Google Earth and talking to biologists and others. I was wondering if there is anyone here that knows the area that would be willing to tell me what you think about my bait site locations. I was thinking of picking four or five different places (Gps coordinates) and then running them by somebody who knows the area just to see what they think. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to help me out in this way?

I would be willing to help you out in some way. My brother and neighbor have the same tag as you. I assume that my son will as well. Don't know yet because Cabelas is so slow to update credit card info. I am sure that we will run multiple baits. I have family and friends with spring tags as well, so we will be out quite a bit.

If you come down a couple times, you are welcome to leave trailers/atvs or whatever in my side yard, so you don't have to leave them on the mountain or pull them back and forth, if that helps. I am in Blanding by the way.

It's not like you will struggle to get bears coming in down here. They are plentiful.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-18 AT 08:50PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-18 AT 08:48?PM (MST)

Wow Utah450 I really appreciate it! Maybe I will p.m. you some locations if that is cool. Have you baited Bears before? Did you think it was necessary to have a tree stand or ground blind? I will be taking my bow and rifle down. I may have to take you up on leaving the four-wheelers. I will send you a p.m. and I will be in touch!

Howdy Terry!

>I would be willing to help
>you out in some way.
>My brother and neighbor have
>the same tag as you.
>I assume that my son
>will as well. Don't know
>yet because Cabelas is so
>slow to update credit card
>info. I am sure that
>we will run multiple baits.
>I have family and friends
>with spring tags as well,
>so we will be out
>quite a bit.
>
>If you come down a couple
>times, you are welcome to
>leave trailers/atvs or whatever in
>my side yard, so you
>don't have to leave them
>on the mountain or pull
>them back and forth, if
>that helps. I am in
>Blanding by the way.
>
>It's not like you will struggle
>to get bears coming in
>down here. They are plentiful.
>

That pretty dang Nice, I don't know Terry But a bunch of my friends know him they said he a standup guy.
I agree lots of Bears In SJ and the Blues.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

We had this tag last year and had multiple bears hitting our baits very consistently. Probably one of the funnest hunts we have had. couple things to think of, 1- you can't bait early now and the hunt starts 1 week earlier than you are legally allowed bait, so I don't know if that will play into when you are going to hunt, 2- where you bait can/will determine on what you bait with. We have some ideas after our success last year and willing to help out if needed. I agree with utah450 in that you should not have too much difficulty finding bears and the same offer that utah450 put out there I 2nd that as we live a few houses apart from each other. Get ready for a fun hunt.

Call and talk with the local DFG and see how many bears was taking in town last year, I heard it was a bunch,

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I just returned from the spring hunt there with my good friend Utah450. The bears are SKINNY and will definitely be hitting bait. Still lots of bears, just not as fat and fluffy as you would like to see. If Utah450 offers help, take his advice seriously. He knows that area and will put you on bears. Best of luck and post pics when you are successful.

Wanted to tell everyone who helped me out, thank you! We hunted 6 days hard, before the sun was up until visibility was lost to darkness. We saw 2 bears spot and stalk style. One was good, but couldn't get on him. Had one small sow we saw on the bait. We didn't have 1 other bear hit the bait during day light hours. Although I didn't get a bear for some reason I am not upset. I got to see some cool country and spend time with my dad. I also remembered all the things about my family and that i need to make the time I have with them count. My kids are getting older. Being away from them for 6 days will remind you what the most precious things in life are. Thanks again!

Great attitude grizz!
Sorry you didn't connect, but Bear hunting is no slam dunk, even in a good unit. Unless you have mega time to really bate, or inside information it's even tougher. They are elusive nocturnal critters. I'm hearing it's been a tough year for everyone.
If it helps any, we still have our tag in pocket as well. :)

Sorry to hear you ate the tag, but glad to hear you had a great time and made some memories.

Looks like I was somewhat right when I said how hard it was this year. But there's always gonna be those guys who just know everything about every unit or hunt

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-18 AT 06:11PM (MST)[p]Yeah thanks man, everybody down there said it was the worst year they had ever seen. I knew it was going to be a tough hunt from reports I had got from the spring hunt. We gave it a good shot, I guess that's all you can do.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom