San Juan Deer Tag

sniper14

I would love to see some deer from this unit if anyone has any. I have no idea what I have gotten myself into with this tag.

You've drawn a wonderful tag and will have a great time down there. It is beautiful country and has some amazing bucks. PM me if you'd like.

That’s the limited entry deer tag I applied for, how many points did you draw with and are you nr or res?

That’s the limited entry deer tag I applied for, how many points did you draw with and are you nr or res?
I'm a resident. I drew the tag 30 years ago with my dad and the deer and the unit won the war. We had no idea how to hunt it as we could never find a place to get out and glass. We drove the roads for a few days with his job that's all the time he had off, and my dad ended up shooting a small 4 point and I ended up with a big two point. He is 75 and I'm going to drag him out there this year to see if we can get some redemption.

Here are a couple bucks my dad and his friend got last year.

D deer.jpg

de deer.jpg

P deer.jpg

That helps and explains alot.

Great bucks. Lately on elk hunts see 2 or 3 good ones, but not like 20 plus years ago.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

I and my son hunted it last year. He found some great bucks preseason. But we never could turn any of them up when season opened. They get pushed pretty hard archery muzzle loader. They move off in the thick sh.

If you want to see what is there, check out that unit in late summer, just before the archery hunt. The velvet bucks are really visible that time of year.
But rutnbuck is dead nuts about finding them during the rifle season. There is a ton of P-J country just off the top of Elk Ridge and it's a great place for big bucks to get lost!
Best of luck

I actually just got back Sunday. The scouting has been okay. I've seen a few bucks but nothing I would say is a monster. I tried to find areas to hunt rather than specific bucks and I've realized it is just as thick as I remember. I tried to find open areas where I could glass and found it much harder then I anticipated. I had multiple areas found on Google maps and it's funny how things look a lot more accessible and open on the computer than in real life. I'm going back one more time for sure before the hunt and will try and find some bucks as the hunt gets closer. It is a beautiful area and I'm enjoying my time out there.

believe or not a nice thick piece of plywood on top of a pickup lumber rack will sometime get you high enough to see some good area's that you don't see standing on the ground.

There were about a dozen or so outfitters there on Sat after the one buck that everyone in Utah and around the US via internet knew about. He got whacked by the guide I would have put my money on.

I Was Down there When the Show Began!

There are several good bucks on SJ but only 1 that was in the area 99 percent of all hunters hunt.

The hunt is getting closer, and the wait is killing me. Those of you that know the area well and have been up there several times this year, how would you say the antler growth is this year compared to other years?

I spent 6 weekends on elk and the Blue mnts hunting bears this summer. Acorns in lots of places. Everything I saw looked fat and happy. The La Sal mnts are another story as it’s much much drier and less feed. But still saw a monster bull up there. Bucks and bulls on the SJ looked great. Best of luck to ya. Hope we all get to drool over the pics in a week or two!!!!!!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom