San Rafael deer?

iowacity

Hello, I know I’m jumping the gun here, but I’ll likely have a deer tag in pocket for the Manti/San Rafael unit. I’m planning a scouting trip to check out the desert portion of this unit this summer. I know there are deer in the mountains, but I’m looking for a starting point to check out down in the desert. I figure there has to be some deer not getting much attention out along the Price, San Rafael, or maybe even towards the Canyonlands. It looks like interesting country to hunt to say the least.

I’m from NV and trying to pick a few spots to focus on. I can trade for information for lots of NV units and species. As well as some limited info on deer and Turkey in the Escelante area.

After hunting sheep on the devil 10 plus years ago I would like to try to get one in the desert just for a different experience.

The drought over the last 10 years or so has decimated what few deer are in the desert. There are deer out there, but they are very few and far between. Not uncommon to hunt for a week without seeing any deer. If you hunt that area, you’re hoping to luck into a big one.

That’s sort of the idea, see if I can find a big one while hunting some unique country. Are what few deer that live out there confide along the river corridors, or are there a few out in the deeper part of the desert around springs?

That’s sort of the idea, see if I can find a big one while hunting some unique country. Are what few deer that live out there confide along the river corridors, or are there a few out in the deeper part of the desert around springs?
I would think both. Those desert river bottoms are usually filled with thick brush. Mainly tamarisk.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom