San Rafael dirty devil sheep

CATMAN

To say I'm excited would be an understatement. Anyone wanting to share information would be greatly appreciated. Figure it isn't what it once was as I've heard the numbers are down from years past, but I'll put on some boot wear and see what happens. Anyone else on here had this tag in the past or currently?

I have also been applying down there. I hope you find and kill a good ram. It’s some rugged, beautiful country. Keep us posted as to how it ends up. Good Luck!!!!!!!

Congratulations on drawing the tag. ANY desert sheep tag is as good as it gets IMHO.

I hunted there a few short years ago when my oldest adult daughter drew. We made 3 scouting trips and 3 hunting trips but got it done on a fantastic ram.

My cousin drew this year so I feel the need to concentrate my efforts with him.

Luck and success to all,
Zeke

Congratulations on drawing the tag. ANY desert sheep tag is as good as it gets IMHO.

I hunted there a few short years ago when my oldest adult daughter drew. We made 3 scouting trips and 3 hunting trips but got it done on a fantastic ram.

My cousin drew this year so I feel the need to concentrate my efforts with him.

Luck and success to all,
Zeke
Zeke
You have a picture of your daughters ram you'd share pard?

I do have pics and I'll drag some up and post when I get back from camping in the cold over the Holiday. (I posted several a few years ago on here)

The wife and grand kids must be tougher than me but shooting with grandsons and son-in-law will make it worth braving the chilly weather.

By the way, the oldest daughter who hunted DD just drew for Wyo bull elk! She and I have had some awesome adventures for bear, Dall sheep, big elk and deer. Yep, she's a hunter!

Zeke

04’ 2nd year unit was open drew with 1 pt

06’ best buddy ever drew with 3 pts

07’ another good friend drew with 6 pts

We all killed our sheep within a 1/2 mile of each other in the sam’s Mesa box canyon. 03’ first hunter killed his ram in sam’s Mesa box canyon.

I would start looking in sam’s Mesa!

Broomer

Here are those 3 sheep from sam’s Mesa box
68A384A3-08EC-4A5E-B233-E15B7131F3B0.jpeg
547CABB4-B7B6-4A6B-A3D1-52E053E4CAF1.jpeg

FA90197F-38C4-4C5B-9AFE-7CEC91B14764.jpeg

Congrats Catman,
Desert sheep hunts are awesome, but they can be extremely tough. My son also got his ram on that unit in 2009 the same year as Zeke's daughter, but we hunted way more days and almost came home empty handed. I'm pretty sure Jessica's ram is the biggest ram to come from that unit since then, so be careful not to get too caught up in old pictures. We have been down there many times since then and in my opinion, any mature ram on the Devil is a shooter, unless you have unlimited time to hunt or you are booking with a really good outfitter.
It's incredible country and I hope you have the time of your life.
Keep us posted.

Congrats Catman,
Desert sheep hunts are awesome, but they can be extremely tough. My son also got his ram on that unit in 2009 the same year as Zeke's daughter, but we hunted way more days and almost came home empty handed. I'm pretty sure Jessica's ram is the biggest ram to come from that unit since then, so be careful not to get too caught up in old pictures. We have been down there many times since then and in my opinion, any mature ram on the Devil is a shooter, unless you have unlimited time to hunt or you are booking with a really good outfitter.
It's incredible country and I hope you have the time of your life.
Keep us posted.
Littlebighorn,
Thanks for the information. I'm not caught up on score....Just want a mature ram if possible. I never figured I'd draw a sheep tag in my lifetime so I feel very fortunate to get this opportunity.
I appreciate all the help that's been given, and the advise from all.
I will indeed keep you posted on the outcome...success or not

Littlebighorn,
Thanks for the information. I'm not caught up on score....Just want a mature ram if possible. I never figured I'd draw a sheep tag in my lifetime so I feel very fortunate to get this opportunity.
I appreciate all the help that's been given, and the advise from all.
I will indeed keep you posted on the outcome...success or not
My son Steve drew a Devil tag. I drew a DD tag in 07 and shot a very respectable ram. I spent a lot of time on the desert prior to the hunt learning the country. I completed my Grand Slam in 2008. Steve and I are Taxidermists from Price. If you would like we can share information and we might be able to help each other out. Her’s a picture of my ram.

46D29454-EA37-4653-A8A4-1CF896E1A5AD.jpeg

Thats a stud ram. Congrats on a great Desert Ram. Do you happen to know Kurt McFarlane? He's a good friend of mine, and yes I'd share info fer sure

Made a scouting trip to the Dirty Devil. Sh'es hotter than a pistol right now. Did manage to see a couple rams. Its a big country, Thanks for the help from those who have messaged me. I will try to keep you posted as things continue. Good luck to all this hunting season.

Made a scouting trip to the Dirty Devil. Sh'es hotter than a pistol right now. Did manage to see a couple rams. Its a big country, Thanks for the help from those who have messaged me. I will try to keep you posted as things continue. Good luck to all this hunting season.
Cman,
I Hope the bugs didn't eat you alive. They can be nasty!
Here are a couple of my thoughts:
If you are planning to hunt early in the season, before the rut, sometimes you can find a ram band hanging in a particular area. They will often not wander too far, so early in the hunt you might be able to keep track of a particular group of rams.
But once rams get ewes on their mind, keeping track of them is like trying to grab soap on the shower floor! Slippery and always on the move.
Late in the hunt you might catch a Ram with a hot ewe, so keep track of ewe groups, and check them often to see if a Ram has joined up.

Catman, sorry I didn’t get back to you, my son told me the two of you talked. We are heading down next Thursday for the opening weekend. The last three weeks of the hunt are definitely the best time to hunt but you never know when you might bump into that class four ram. We will give you a call while we are down there with a progress report. There are 5 of us going, so we can split up and glass as much country as possible.

Great rams everyone. Would everyone be willing to add some scoring info to the picture to help in judging skills? Score, bases, horn length and age.
Thanks

My son shot his Dirty Devil ram on October 23. The ram is an excellent ram for the DD. He shot the ram on the 20th day of hunting. We watched and filmed two mature rams posturing and head butting for over an hour before ending a fantastic hunt. Steve’s ram completed his 3/4 Slam. I also completed my 3/4 Slam on the same unit in 2007.

439AD2CD-6F0C-49FB-89DD-83C50F4DF5D3.jpeg

Congratulations Steve,
That is an awesome DD ram!
You and your dad obviously got your money's worth, hunting 20 days, but sometimes that's what it takes to find Desert Sheep success. I knew you guys would get it done.
Well done man!

I hope the other tag holders are also finding rams.

Catman , We need a hunt report, inquiring minds want to know. By the way, have you seen your brother? Seems there are people worried about him. I’m not one of them, I know he can take care of his self. Really want to know how your hunt went.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom