San Rafael North Antelope

woodruffhunter

Long Time Member
Have any of you hunted this unit lately? My son has (should) enough points to draw this tag and I wanted to check to see if any of you could offer your take on this unit, such as buck numbers and the quality of your hunt.

We had always planned to hunt the Cache Rich unit as I live here and know it well. However, with the 2 two-tag hunts a few years back and the current winter up here, it is a unit that we do not want to hunt. Maybe this is the case with San Rafael??

It seems as if this unit (San Rafael) has some trophy potential but in reality, my son is just looking for a good hunt with the possibility of a good buck.

Thanks!

There has been some studs taken on The NSR. They are not easy to find and there aren't many. I had the tag a few years ago and spent a ton of time on every part of the unit over the summer. put over 2500 miles on my truck and I found 3 bucks that I felt would go mid to upper 80's. one was killed on the archery hunt. The others were killed on the rifle hunt. I was able to get one on the 3rd day.

I know this year they have proposed to decreased permits. That must mean they aren't doing as good as the DWR want.

It would definitely provide a good hunt with the possibility of a good buck for your son. But so would several other units.

The other thing is there are lots of guides on the NSR. If there is a good buck there will be people on it.

Interesting info about the guides. Thank you for the info.
Going back in time to early ‘90’s, there used to be some dandy bucks there ! I spent over a week pre scouting before season, found a dandy mid 80’s buck there for my wife- covered the unit
like a blanket- very tough too, there weren’t many antelope overall . Then the pro guides found out about that area, cleaned them out, I’ve never gone back ! Super disgusting ?!
The genetics are there still , but the unit has been severely damaged for most hunters ! Sorry to report this. Super trip- one time. My wife then is gone -died. But I look at that antelope every
day & remember it all. What a thriller ! Also pulled off same thing south of Walden , Colorado, 10 years after that hunt. Not a super area, but you never know , it just takes one & some luck ?. Have fun ?!
Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado ?

Well, my son drew and we are looking forward to giving it a good effort. I have some time before the hunt to make some scouting trips down there. Hopefully, we can find a good buck.

My son is more about the experience of the hunt and will not stress out about shooting a giant buck. Looking forward to it...

There has been some studs taken on The NSR. They are not easy to find and there aren't many. I had the tag a few years ago and spent a ton of time on every part of the unit over the summer. put over 2500 miles on my truck and I found 3 bucks that I felt would go mid to upper 80's. one was killed on the archery hunt. The others were killed on the rifle hunt. I was able to get one on the 3rd day.

I know this year they have proposed to decreased permits. That must mean they aren't doing as good as the DWR want.

It would definitely provide a good hunt with the possibility of a good buck for your son. But so would several other units.

The other thing is there are lots of guides on the NSR. If there is a good buck there will be people on it.
One thing I recall about that antelope hunt- look for a huge body on a really big buck- saw 3 bucks in different areas that had much larger bodies & also mid 80’s type horns with long prongs & heavy massed horns too- look over the Hadden Hills Area to start with, they like that area as I recall. Long time ago- but great genetics there. Ivory tips too. Best of luck ? & happy hunting ! ?
We stayed in a motel in Castle Dale.
Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado ?

Well, my son drew and we are looking forward to giving it a good effort. I have some time before the hunt to make some scouting trips down there. Hopefully, we can find a good buck.

My son is more about the experience of the hunt and will not stress out about shooting a giant buck. Looking forward to it...
Good luck to you guys and maybe I will run into you out there, I will be driving a white Ram 2500, or a red Polaris,

I went out Saturday and Sunday this week and the number of animals / buck quality seemed incredibly poor to me. Went home without firing a shot. Was there a lot of winter kill in this area or has it been on the decline for awhile? I know the hunt planner is showing the population is under objective.

I went out Saturday and Sunday this week and the number of animals / buck quality seemed incredibly poor to me. Went home without firing a shot. Was there a lot of winter kill in this area or has it been on the decline for awhile? I know the hunt planner is showing the population is under objective.
I've seen several pictures of exceptional buck that were taken recently.
I was out and about Saturday and saw 2 bucks that were Mid 70's.

Sorry you're having troubles, but there are plenty of nice ones out there.

My son with the tag has had mandatory overtime for the past several months and unfortunately he was required to work the opener. Me and my dad took a quick trip to scout the unit. We saw one exceptional buck that was on a section of private but look as if it moved over to a public section. We then saw two small bucks. Later on , we did see a couple of nice bucks within a mile of each other. My son would have likely taken one of them.

Me and my sons are headed down Thursday night and will try to get it done.

Today was pretty good. I’d guess, we saw well over 100 antelope. Unfortunately, there were not any really large bucks. He put a stalk on a buck that was on the other side of the mountain from us. It was not dumb and soon left the area.

Tomorrow is the last day he will hunt. As this is his first hunt, he will likely take one of the better buck that we saw today.

It has been great, as always, to be out hunting with my sons. Antelope hunting is fun as it’s laid back and there is not a lot of pressure.

My son ended up getting a buck on the last few hours of the hunt. It was not the biggest one he saw as we did see quite a few bucks (mostly small to average). However, he was happy and everyone had a great time.
It is always a good time have friends and family on the hunt.
Great attitude and the way hunting should be.

Howdy woodruffhunter & Sons!

Thanks For The Invite To What Was An Awesome Day Spent With You & Your 3 Sons!

You Guys Are Probably Still Wondering What Good The Old Beat Up Blind Guy Could Be!

We Seen A Fair Number Of Antelope The Day I Was With You Guys!

The Thing I Noticed The Most Was The Lack Of This Years Fawns!

We Seen Approx 125 Antelope That Day Give Or Take That Day Trying Not To Count Anything Twice,Maybe Even 150?

And 1 Fawn From This Year,SAD!

I Was In Great Company That Day & We Pounded It From Daylight Till Dark Thirty!

woodruff Kept Me DEWED Up!:D

woodruff's Sons Are Top Notch & I Never Heard Any of Them Argue about anything The Entire Day!

Glad Your Son Got His Buck The Following Day!

Nice Job Bryce!

To Me It's All About The Younger Hunters From Here On Out!

If I Never Take Another Animal I'm Gonna Be Just Fine With It!

Best Of Luck On The Rest Of Your Hunts & Thanks!

Thank you Bess! It is always a pleasure having you on our hunts. I still feel guilty from when I about froze you to death, back in 2010 (yeah it's been that long ago)!

For a blind man, you can see antelope better than any of us! My kids mentioned that, the next day, when we were on our own!

I am like you Bess, I would rather my kids shoot a buck than myself. It is harder and harder getting everyone together and it sure is a good time.

By the way, I checked that 12-pack of Dew yester day. My two sons don't like it, I might of choked down one or two.... That tells me you and Bryce knocked down about 10 :ROFLMAO:

Thanks again!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom