San Rafael South Desert Sheep

HighDesert

So I am thinking of going down to Utah here in the Next few weeks to do some scouting and get my bearings on this Hunt unit. I drew the tag hard part is done. Now the Physical part start where in the unit would you start looking and exploring.

Thanks in Advance

When I drew my tag, I had already gathered data before, so I had a good start point. My 1st trip was early June.

I would spend my time learning the WHOLE unit, check the harvest stats and hit all harvest locations. Dont worry about finding rams until you get closer to the hunt. Sheep are SPREAD out so no big groups. Learn areas, then find rams closer to the season.

So I am thinking of going down to Utah here in the Next few weeks to do some scouting and get my bearings on this Hunt unit. I drew the tag hard part is done. Now the Physical part start where in the unit would you start looking and exploring.

Thanks in Advance
HighDesert,

Congrats on your tag!

I would spend as much time in the unit scouting as your time/schedule allows. I'd also try to glass as many rams as you can during this time because judging them isn't easy and takes some time to digest what you're looking at with a particular ram, especially once they get some age on them.

One of the things I prefer to do these days is to take video of animals when using a spotting scope and a phone scope adapter. This will allow you to take still pictures of the animal. If you're allowed the opportunity to take video from all angles, then you can get a good idea of quality.

Congrats again on your tag! And, good luck finding a great ram!!

High desert
One thing you have to remember is that this is not a Rocky or California hunt where you can just go out and video rams all summer from the road like you can in some rocky-cali units. Anybody who has hunted these rugged Ut desert units can attest to the differences. If you can get video that is a plus. So many nooks and crannies that hide the rams in the summer heat.
SAM_0063 (2).JPG
SAM_0037 (1).jpg
SAM_0074 (2).JPG
SAM_0070 (2).JPG
SAM_0072 (2).JPG
SAM_0071 (2).JPG
SAM_0062.JPG

HUGE area, not alot of sheep per mile. Learn the area and figure out the unit. sheep are spread out. Sometimes an hour plus drive between core areas. 4 plus hr from 1 side of the unit to the other. Where the rams summer for the most part are not accessible.

Thank you guys very much as a NR you do not make serious plans when your applying with only 12pts and go from there. But then again Utah has been very very good to me. So I am just looking for to experiencing a good desert hunt have done several cali's and rockies so know there I a huge difference and country is insane and beautiful.

Dave

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom