SANDIA DEER

coryb

Our group was fortunate enough to draw Sandia deer tags for January 1st. We have been scouting and have some good ideas where to spend our time. However, we are looking for any information anyone is willing to share. We all live in the east mountains and have been concentrating on this side but are open to any info people are willing to share. We have horses and are capable of accessing any portion of the mountain.

If anyone has done this hunt and knows where the pressure is concentrated, that is something we are interested in hearing about. With so few tags, this probably isn't a concern, however, it would be nice to be able to avoid the other hunters.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Cory Burkett

Getting ready to go pick up my camera. I've been denied access on all ranches I've attempted to gain access on. Hopefully the camera shows something good.

Cory

The camera caught deer on the trail about every other day and 5 different bucks. All bucks were small with the best being a decent 3 x 3. Left the camera as activity picked up this week. This will be the plan for opening day unless we find something better.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Cory

Seems to me like you have already have a plan and a place to hunt with deer activity. What more could you possibly want! Some people!

My buddy drew the same hunt. We have 3 bucks that are pushin 190"-200" that we have been trying to pattern. Its a great hunt, with tons of deer!!! Good luck to you and your group.....hope you smoke some monsters!!!

TineMaster

We do have a plan which includes making the most of this tag. My intention is to find the best place to focus our energy on this hunt. I have found a spot that is sufficient but I'm sure there are better ones out there. My scouting includes time on the ground plus speaking with people in the know, like the many hunters on here who know the Sandias better than me and are generous enough to lend a helping hand.

We have been focusing on the south and east sides of the mountain. 4 of us have the tag and 2 guys have been focusing on the east side, taking several hikes a week. I have been focusing on the south end of the mountain from Tijeras to Tramway.

Good luck on those giant deer.

Cory

Good luck. I have never seen to many deer in the Sandia's. Here is a unique one I found in velvet during August last year and then again in February. Will PM you where he used to hang out.

Jared,

Just checked your profile and saw who you were. Thanks for the help. Hope all is well for you and your family also. I think your dad said you killed a good bull this year? Let's see the pics

Cory

Ha ha....took me a while to realize it was you too!!! Yeah, smoked a giant bear opening day of the elk hunt, and a decent bull on the last day. I'll post up pics and stories here on the site!! Good luck on your hunt.....smoke a bigun!!!!

Went back to drop another camera yesterday. Saw a group of does and tons of sign in the snow. No sign of other people. Getting excited for Jan. 1st.

Ive got a couple cameras set up also. I will send you some photos and locations when we pick them up in a couple weeks!!!!

I have a friend that has the January hunt so I took a little hike to scout. Found a couple of nice bucks in a spot I am always able to find deer. It is quite a walk but worth it. Good Luck to all those that have the tag. It is a tough hunt but they are up there !!!

8293102_0011.jpg

3271102_0034.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-13 AT 08:22AM (MST)[p]Thanks for the pics WeHuntNM. Good to know there are some nices ones up there. Are those the same deer or two different? Hard to tell from the photos.

Thanks

My hunting partner and I drew that unit also. 2 years ago we killed bucks on the 2nd and 5th day. They were rutting hard at that time. Cory, I don't know you but from where your scouting, we may meet on the mountain.

Hey Jared, this is Matt. Mark's friend. I been scouting and have seen a few good bucks but on friday I glassed up two and both were good bucks that were pushing does already. But bro, if your giving out info, call up Mark and give him the scoop. We'll both be out there at some point this weekend glassing. I have some time off next week so ill be glassing a lot. Hopefully I'll locate some big ones.

Good luck to the guys who have tags.

12Ring

Give me a call and I will let you know exactly where we will be and where our cameras are. We are going out tomorrow to look at the cameras for the last time before season starts. I have also received quite a bit of information via private messages and am happy to share that info also.

Good Luck

Cory

GOOD LUCK! I'm right here in Tijeras and following your progress on this thread. Super hopeful you tag out! Glad to see some nice lookin bucks on camera.

>GOOD LUCK! I'm right here in
>Tijeras and following your progress
>on this thread. Super hopeful
>you tag out! Glad to
>see some nice lookin bucks
>on camera.
>
>
Do you have a tag? If so, how is your scouting going?

Cory

Here is my buddies buck befor he stuck him. And then after. I ran into AAO outfitters on the mountain and he showed me this pic. Later that day my buddy killed that buck so I asked him to send me the pics. Pretty cool to have pics of him alive. Mine is the little 3X3. I should have held off but oh well. We went 6 for 6 that year in filling tags with archery gear. 2 antelope, 2 bulls and then these 2 bucks. Good year and good times.

Never mind the date on the camera. It has a mind of its own and changes to that date whenever it wants to. It was January 2012.

Checked the camera and had some does and small bucks and three pictures of a lion. Had a group of deer cross over our tracks in the snow but didn't see any.

I would be really interested in the lion photos if you are willing to share the location of your camera with me? I am trying to pattern a tom up there so when i take the dogs i wont be so far behind him. Pm me if you are ok with sharing that info. I would definitely share info with you on deer but it looks like you got some good prospects! Good luck on your hunt.

Ryan

I am happy to share the location with you in a few weeks. We are going to stay out of the area until opening day and after the hunt I can give you GPS coordinates for you to check out. We got it on 2 cameras about 500 yards apart. If someone can let me know how to post pictures I will put one up. I went to the help page and it said I would see a link but the only one I see is to upload videos thru monsterclips. I tried but it would not allow a jpeg.

Thank you sir! I may be around ill try not to disturb your deer and if i come across any toads ill be sure to let you know!

Ryan

Nice pictures.
Love hearing you 2 working together, on getting a lion hunt and a deer hunt that what it's all about.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

He sure is wide. He's a keeper.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Went out the evening of the 31st and located this really nice buck.

Well I found him again this morning and he had 4 does. My buddy was in better position at the time so he tried to get into position. He got to 115yds when I spotted another buck move in on him. This buck was way smaller but rounded up the bigger bucks does and ran him over the hill. We weren't able to find that buck again.

This is the buck that ran the bigger one off. He looked old. He had a huge body, a big hump, and a white face. My buddy and I decided we he wasn't big enough for the first day so we let him walk. Hopefully it doesn't come back to haunt me. Here he is.

And here's another one from a few days earlier. Also a little to small.

What's up 12ring! I think you're the guy who helped me get this bruiser off the mountain. Here's the photo of him. Thanks again and good luck finding the monster you're looking for.

8155image.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom