Santa Rosa Elk and Mule Deer Extermination

E

EdleBrock

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/NewsReleases.aspx?ID=8478

Provision Authored by Senators Boxer and Feinstein Will Exterminate All Santa Rosa Elk and Mule Deer

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Fairfax, VA ? Last month, President George W. Bush signed the 2007 Defense Authorization Act, which included an NRA-supported provision saving hundreds of elk and mule deer on Santa Rosa Island from the court-ordered extermination that was to begin in 2008 and be completed by 2011.

However, yesterday, Sens. Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein attached an amendment to the Military Construction Appropriations bill that will overturn current law and exterminate hundreds of healthy elk and mule deer on Santa Rosa Island, off the coast of California. This issue is not about public access or whether these animals should be hunted and by whom. Current law protects the Santa Rosa elk and deer from extermination and this amendment will require that the animals be exterminated by 2011.

NRA-ILA Chief Lobbyist Chris W. Cox stated, ?In a blatant attempt to slaughter these animals ? for absolutely no good purpose ? Senators Boxer and Feinstein claim to, ?correct a terrible mistake?. The only irreversible mistake in this situation is if these elitist politicians are allowed to kill healthy and robust animals for political purposes.?

Santa Rosa Roosevelt elk and Kaibab mule deer are unique and invaluable, as they are free from Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) and other ailments that threaten the species on the mainland. Forty miles of Pacific Ocean offer them a sanctuary from disease. The healthy and thriving herds can be used as breeding stock to repopulate in case of disaster on the mainland.

Cox concluded, ?This is not about hunting ? this is about political pandering and payback. The NRA is calling on Congress to not allow Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer to kill hundreds of healthy elk and mule deer ? for no good reason.?
- nra -

Established in 1871, the National Rifle Association is America?s oldest civil rights and sportsmen's group. Four million members strong, NRA continues its mission to uphold Second Amendment rights and to advocate enforcement of existing laws against violent offenders to reduce crime. The Association remains the nation's leader in firearm education and training for law-abiding gun owners, law enforcement and the armed services.

Copyright 2006, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.
Contact Us | Privacy & Security Policy

Why do those bi#@#s want to do that? They just want to exterminate them because they are not native? There are some BIG bucks living on that island...cost you big bucks to hunt there too.

Just figured I would post the liberal view on this.

I think we all can tell what it really is about.

I wonder how much PETA has given Boxer?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/12/21/14455/240

Why Does Duncan Hunter Want to Steal A National Park
by shadowgov

Wed Dec 21, 2005 at 11:04:55 AM PST
Congressman Duncan Hunter (CA-52) has had a pretty high media profile lately. In just the last few weeks, Hunter, who is Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, opposed the McCain anti-torture amendment; proposed building a fence along the entire US-Mexico border and the study of a similar barrier for the Canadian border; AND attempted to steal 53,000 acres of the Channel Island National Park.

Duncan has been a busy, busy boy, lately. Of course being a close associate of Cunningham pay-for-play Co-conspirator #1, Brent Wilkes, may be part of Hunter's inspiration to change the subject in public.

shadowgov's diary :: ::
Hunter's opposition to McCain's anti-torture legislation was motivated by his desire to serve his masters in the Bush Administration and possibly to provide cover for one of his major corporate contributors and torture investigation subject, the Titan Corporation.

Hunter has long been a proponent of sealing the Mexican border. His efforts lead to miles of fence in the San Diego area. This, of course, just pushed illegal border crossing out into the less inhabited areas of San Diego and Imperial counties. Since the fences were built illegal immigration has increased, but facts don't get in the way of a Republican when he has a wedge issue to exploit.

Yet, Hunter's proposal to turn Santa Rosa Island over to the Department of Defense seems bizarre, even by the very low standards of San Diego county Republicans. The island makes up over 40% of a national park that serves about half a million visitors a year, but Hunter is proposing that it be converted into a hunting and recreation preserve for the military and their guests. When pressed on the issue he even went so far as to propose the island be established as a hunting preserve for disabled veterans.

Santa Rosa Island was privately owned until 1986 when the Federal government bought the island from the Vail and Vickers Company for $30 million. Vail and Vickers is a family business that has run cattle ranching and, more recently trophy deer and elk hunting, operations on the island since 1902. Part of the government purchase agreement allowed Vail and Vickers to continue their hunting operation on the island until 2011.

The hunting operation provides well heeled hunters the opportunity to bag trophy Roosevelt elk and Kaibab mule deer from herds managed to provide the maximum number of such animals. Neither the elk nor the deer are native to the island. They were transported the 40 miles from the mainland for the specific purpose of establishing a hunting preserve. The going rate for hunting on the island ranges from $5,000 to as much as $20,000 for a four day visit.

It is interesting that Hunter's proposal would turn the island over to the Department of Defense in 2009. As the purpose of the land grab is to provide recreation and hunting to the military and any fat cat congressional guests they might invite along, it looks like Hunter's motivation might be to maintain the island hunting concession, while freezing out the general public.

Hunter might even be able to argue that the island hunting concession could pay for much of the military's recreational use, if it were allowed to continue its commercial business. So, in essence, Hunter's proposal would transfer the island from public use to private use while maintaining the hunting concession. Ron Sundergill, Pacific Regional Director, National Parks Conservation Association, suggested as much in an article he wrote about Hunter's proposal.

"We can only guess that the reason this is being proposed is to protect the commercial interest that operates the elk and deer hunting venture on the island. The owners of the venture, whose family sold the island to the federal government in 1986 for nearly $30 million, will be required to end their commercial activities in 2011. The timeline for ending the elk and deer hunting results from a legally binding agreement between the National Park Service and the National Parks Conservation Association, but the owners of the hunting venture strongly objected to the agreement."
Could it be that this whole deal is as transparent as that? Is Hunter really proposing that a national park serving hundreds of thousand visitors a year be taken out of the public realm and locked up by the Department of Defense just to serve the narrow self-interests of small commercial venture?

Hunter attached his island take-over amendment to the defense appropriation bill. Just a few words in a multi-billion dollar spending package. This is the second time Hunter has tried to slip this proposal through Congress. In May, Democrats and environmental groups thwarted his first attempt. This time, Republican Senator John Warner, told Hunter that pushing forward with this proposal would jeopardize the passage of the entire appropriations bill. Hunter withdrew the amendment, but vowed to present the proposal again when Congress reconvenes next year.

The Sacramento Bee editorialized about Hunter's persistent efforts to take Santa Rosa Island back from the public.

"This is an insult to the national park system and for the efforts put into properly managing these islands. Last-minute amendments are no way to enact proposals like this. California's two senators say the military never asked for Santa Rosa Island as an exclusive retreat; regardless, they say they would never support such a fate for the island. It is not Duncan Hunter's to give away."
Why does Duncan Hunter want Santa Rosa Island? The Department of Defense has never asked for the island. In fact, the Department of Defense is closing military facilities all over the country. Many of these military bases, which the DOD still controls could easily be converted to the use Hunter proposes for Santa Rosa Island. These facilities are far more accessible and developed than an island 40 miles off the California coast.

So, why does Duncan Hunter persist in his efforts to take Santa Rosa Island away from the public? Whose interest is he serving?

Well If they have to go kill all of them.

At least give me chance at one of the big bucks......

This whole Santa Rosa island deal is a
bunch of CRAP. I folks like us set around and
let this happen, we need our Butt's kicked up
between our shoulderblades. A bunch of you that have
your panties in a wad about the NRA, 'cause your mad that
they send you requests for money, your mad because they do this,
your mad because they do that, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla........
This is serious #####. To let this occur would be devistating
in my opinion.
Let's get real on this one folks. I live a Billion miles
from there, and will never be able to afford to step foot on
there even if my side win's. But guess what.........
It don't XXXX'ing matter...........
The right thing needs to be done on this. Period.
And just 'cause the "nasty" NRA is involved, a bunch of you
will PoPo it. You're DEAD WRONG.
love ya,
Larry

Pandering to PETA.....just what we would expect from the left. Let's tale their lead and do the same to the population of wolves in Wyoming.

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Okay Huntindude no response to this story. I see whenever someone calls into question the Dems plans for Iraq you are quick to say the Republicans took years to get us into this mess so we should not expect any quick action or fix from the Dems. Fine lets forget about Iraq fort the moment, now here is something your newly elected leadership has taken quick action on. So is that what you were looking for? Is this the change you voted for? Come on give us your thoughts.

>Well If they have to go
>kill all of them.
>
>
>At least give me chance at
>one of the big bucks......
>

it's a private herd and a five year waiting list Hah...insain...

read this"
Dear Manny:
Thank you for your interest in our hunting program on Santa Rosa Island. If you would like to be put on our mailing list, your last name would be appreciated.

With regard to openings for trophy bucks on the island, we currently do not have any openings for any of our trophy hunts. We book five years out, and are booked through 2010. We have a very extensive wait/cancellation list with over 600 hunters on it.

We do invite you to take a look at our website at www.mumwildlife.com or call the office at 800-557-7087 with anymore questions you might have.

Best regards,

Laurie Shacknove

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-06 AT 06:12PM (MST)[p]
>read this"
>Dear Manny:
>Thank you for your interest in
>our hunting program on Santa
>Rosa Island. If you would
>like to be put on
>our mailing list, your last
>name would be appreciated.
>
>With regard to openings for trophy
>bucks on the island, we
>currently do not have any
>openings for any of our
>trophy hunts. We book five
>years out, and are booked
>through 2010. We have a
>very extensive wait/cancellation list with
>over 600 hunters on it.
>
>
>We do invite you to take
>a look at our website
>at www.mumwildlife.com or call the
>office at 800-557-7087 with anymore
>questions you might have.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Laurie Shacknove

did you see the booking date's 2010, the dems are giving them till 2011 to get rid of all the elk and deer...so if it's a private herd why would anyone want to help, unless they were donating the herd to some state which i doubt...

Isnt much more than a canned hunt if you think about it. 54000 acres with no excape. I know that is alot of land, but any land locked herd that is managed stricly for hunting purposes would kinda take the fun out of it for me. I guess to each his own.
Brian

The best days to hunt and fish, Are those that end in a "Y"

So I guess, useing that logic, New Zealand is a
"caned" hunt. Hawaii would be a canned hunt. That's
freaking amazing. I get a kick out of some people,
"There's a waiting list, I don't like it."
"I'll never be able to afford to do it, I don't like it."
"If I'll never be able to do it, screw it, destroy them."
Set around and suck your thumb until it affects you. Guess
what, that time could be coming quicker than you think with
Goofball logic like this. Wake up and smell the coffee please.

>So I guess, useing that logic,
>New Zealand is a
>"caned" hunt. Hawaii would be a
>canned hunt. That's
>freaking amazing. I get a kick
>out of some people,
>"There's a waiting list, I don't
>like it."
>"I'll never be able to afford
>to do it, I don't
>like it."
>"If I'll never be able to
>do it, screw it, destroy
>them."
>Set around and suck your thumb
>until it affects you. Guess
>
>what, that time could be coming

>quicker than you think with
>
>Goofball logic like this. Wake up
>and smell the coffee please.
I didnt know that New Zeland and Hawaii had only game herds that were privately managed soley for the purpose of having a waiting list for an expensive hunt and the proceeds went to private individuals. If that is true then yes it is the same. I dont want to see the Deer and Elk Slaughterd. I would rather see them relocated to free range. California's Northern elk heards could use a boost. Also since your so worried about me sitting around and sucking my thumb, What have you done about this situation? Have you wrote a letter to someone that can do something about it? Or just the derogatory one that you posted in responce to mine?
Brian

The best days to hunt and fish, Are those that end in a "Y"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-06 AT 03:44PM (MST)[p]Well, with control of both houses this is what America voted into power. Was there ever a question?

Everyone did do something about it back on the 7th.

Brian,
Actually I do. I funnel my money into organizations
that I think will help take care of such matters.
You want them relocated. I want them to stay. That's
fair enough. I guess my point is this needs to be looked
at hard and not ignored. If I came across as you indicated,
I apologize. I just don't want folk's to wait until it affects
the herd up the hill from their house until they do something.
That's all.
l

caelkhnter,

I think you overestimate my pull with the democratic party. first I'd have to be a democrat and second I doubt they'd listen to me anyway nobody else does. I don't know where this island even is but I heard it was in southern CA. so that must be a heck of an elk hunt in a t shirt and shorts on a 54 thousand acre no escape island, we have ranches around here bigger than that. none the less killing them off sounds like a bad idea and I'm sure the dems will have more, nobody said they were perfect. going to the extreme either to the right or left is never good.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom