Satellite Phones

acafton

Just want to hear if and what type of satellite phones any of you are using right now. I have a globlstar and have been less than pleased. Multiple dropped calls, I get maybe a minute or two of coverage out of every 20 if I'm lucky. I have sat up on a ridge with no trees/clouds and waited 1hr to get coverage. I had the phone checked and even switched at one point with no benefit. I have a job where I need to check in every day or two, and when I am in the backcountry would like to have a more consistent method of communication. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated......and moderators, I have looked at the old threads. Thanks

Yes the globalstar are not the greatest. I just used one for a backpack trip. It worked for me but yes you have to wait to get out. I have been told the problem lies with their satelite or lack of them. I guess a few have dopped from the sky. They launched 4 more at the end of July but have not heard if anything has improved.

Everybody is now using the Iridium phones. They are just like picking up a land line, instant call no waiting and no dropped calls. A brand new one cost 1600US but I hear they are worth it.

For renting it is tough to get a iridium as (up here in BC) as all the big forestry and mining companies rent them for the whole summer. that is why I was stuck with the Globalstar for my trip, could not find a Iridium phone.

BHB

I will be renting a Sat phone here in the next month. Looking into them the Golbalstar is not being supported very well and the drop call problems you are having are the norm. I will be renting a Iridum for our trip. 9 bucks a day and 2 dollars a minute for use. You can buy call packages for cheaper minutes but I wont be using mine enough for the call package. Also the place im renting from doesnt charge for the fed-ex delivery to and from your location. Some will charge 30 to 40 dollars each way on top of your daily rental.

Don

I am also looking into renting an Iridium phone on my Elk hunt. No shipping charge sounds good! Where did you rent yours?

Ken

I just talked to the local rep for globalstar who had just returned from a meeting regarding their satellites. Apparently they had several go down before they had planned and have not sent more up yet. I have a globalstar and was never told any info regarding this, or why I get such poor reception. In fact they keep sending me bills for the phone even though I cancelled service 3 mos. ago. I am going to try out the Iridium. Thanks for the info fellas.

This is a big pet peeve of mine right now. I have been with Globalstar for several years and I even bought the new GSP1700 phone. I was pretty happy but it has been going down hill over the last year. It is not a secret, check out Globalstars own press releases and what the financial sites are saying about their stock prices. They are having trouble with their sats but they are trying hard to fix them. Problem is that they may not be fixed until 2009. When they do get fixed, I think that they will be the better choice again. Do your research on Iridium and make a decision. I would sure like to give you a better anwer but there isn't one right now. This situation is giving the Search and Rescue guys fits too. Good luck.

Wade

I broke down and went with the Iridium. I used it on a 10 day back country elk hunt a few weeks ago with no problems. It is unlike a land line as some say, but performed much better than the Globalstar.

Sounds like the Iridium from this post and others is the phone to use, will have one on my wilderness hunt in 08'.

WP

Well the saga continues. Globalstar called me yesterday to tell me that they had just sucessfully launched four more sats that will "greatly improve" their coverage while they revamp their system with second generation sats. That process will be completed in 2009. Check the Globalstar website for oficial news.

We are still using Globastar on the Sheriff's Mountain Rescue Team but are watching closely. If these new birds don't improve the service we will be forced to switch our 5 phones over to Iridium. Under normal circumstances I still like Globastar over Iridium.

I am testing service for the next week several times a day.

Stay tuned.

Wade
hardcoreoutdoor.com

I rented a GlobalStar SAT phone for my wilderness elk hunt in October 2006. I got that same song and dance about the satellites going down unexpectedly and moving satellites in the constellations to improve coverage. That was a year ago. If they still have coverage problems now, my guess is that it is not economically feasible for them to increase their number of satellites and they are hoping to sell people on the promise of improved coverage rather than investing in four new satellites. When I go on my hoped 2008 wilderness elk hunt I will be packing an Iridium SAT phone if I can rent one.

I rented a Iridum last year for a New Mexico hunt. Worked excellent and I even send text messages to my email account at home for the wife and kids to read. She in turn could email me messages to let me know how things where going at home. Incoming text and email was free. Great deal all around and will be renting from these people again. Free shipping on the phone to.

http://www.mobalrental.com/satellite.asp

Work good buyt very expensive.

Timberline
479e683e07df5b74.jpg

"Live for somethin' or die for nothin'"

Iridum is what I have used as well... There was an ad in Eastmans mag that is set up for hunters, and it came with a charging blanket. One year I need to bring my laptop with me and I could rent an adaptor for my computer so that I could communicate with work. It was the only way my boss would let me go hunting. Slow but could read email just fine.

Hello all,
Had to resurrect an old thread to ask the same question. What is everyone using for a satellite phone now….the good, bad and ugly. Thank you and happy hunting!

Hello all,
Had to resurrect an old thread to ask the same question. What is everyone using for a satellite phone now….the good, bad and ugly. Thank you and happy hunting!
Most people I know are using the satellite messaging devices like the inreach. If you are dead set on a satellite phone the iridium phones are the way to go.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom