Savage 116 keeps blowing up

dirtygrass

I recently had my Savage rifle blow up while shooting it. I did not have a blockage in the bore, the bullet left the barrel and the case is still in the chamber. I wanted to warn everyone that may own this rifle, 300 RUM model 116. I know that this is the third exact rifle that has blow up and hurt someone. The rifle was purchased from Sports Authority in 2003 and I believe all three were purchased there. I was the lucky one, no serious injuries only scarring, good thing I was wearing eye protection or my left eye would be gone, they guy in Estes Park almost died. I called Savage and they told me they would do nothing because I don't have a serial number. I have spent 30 hours with a metal detector looking for the remaining parts of the rifle with no luck, we will continue to look.

From what I have heard the locking lugs fail on the rifle.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/650212273/Man-whose-rifle-exploded-files-lawsuit.html?pg=all

6933img_2397.jpg

That would make you flinchy.

I know of one case of this in a Savage, but bad reloads couldn't be ruled out. I would not own one myself. I've seen 2 Howa's do the same thing. any gun can fail but some are more likely.

As far a a suit goes good luck, a local guy here years ago had a Remington 788 put a bolt in his head when he was a kid and Remington won because he couldn't proove he hadn't shot reloads in it.

Stay thirsty my friends

I didn't even hit paper at 100 yards the next time i pulled a trigger the next weekend, i did get better. The rifle has blown up with factory loads.

Wow. Savage will do nothing because the serial number was blown off the rifle!?! My opinion of Savage just fell through the floor. I'd call em back and tell em the Savage Logo is clearly evident on the rifle, and will be posted for all to see.

Not a good way for a Co to reply to a potential problem with one of their products. Being they responded this way, you are very justified to broadcast to the world about your findings.

I'm glad you weren't hurt worse than you were and thanks for posting.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Sep-27-13 AT 01:40PM (MST)[p]If I was to sue them and win I would not be able to warn people about the rifle. The last people that have sued them cant talk about the case. I am checking with my attorney about how far I can push things. I will be posting the pictures on Savage's facebook page soon.

Savage is more concerned about having to make a recall on those Chinese actions that may have been made with steel not up to specs, or improper heat treating that either left the steel too soft or too brittle and prone to develope stress cracks and finally just give away.

Recall would cost them millions and would tarnish their rep to where they would loose numerous future sales. I just crossed them off the list for any start up rifles for my grandsons due to using receivers made in China and failing to deal fairly with a customer.

RELH

I am not sure if current Savage models (action) is made in China, the attorney that has sued them in the past told me that the ones that are blowing up are made in China. I believe they have them made in China cheaply and sold to the stores such as Sports Authority. I don't think their higher quality rifle actions are made in China but they all may be.

I would have more respect for a company that recalls the pipe bombs they are manufacturing before they kill someone than a company that is worried about tarnishing their reputation and does nothing.

I told them on the phone I would post the pictures all over the internet, and it did not phase them one bit.

I'm sure any recall is some sort of admission, which they will likely avoid at all costs. I agree you should sue, but understand they know their ##### when it comes to liability. I hope if you do, you get a GOOD attorney and one that will work on contingency.

I will not sue them it is not worth my time, if I would have been seriously injured it would be different. The law suit from the guy in Utah that sued Savage took two years. Besides that I'm not going to sit in a court house and listen to a bunch of Savage lawyers tell me it was my fault. It's pretty easy to tell what happened by the pictures.

Even if Savage was to offer me a new Savage rifle I would decline, I wont touch one again. I am not sure what I will do with my other Savage rifles.

I really just want to get the word out so no one else gets hurt. I have a really good Attorney and she is dying to get her hands on the case.

I thought my flinching problem was gone but I flinched a couple time this past weekend. Hopefully when I have a big mule deer in my sights in a couple weeks I can squeeze a good one off.

"Savage rifles are the Bomb" lol

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom