Savage Lever Actions?

eyeguard

A couple of my uncles and a cousin have lever action .308s with side ejection so you can still mount a scope. The stock looks similar to that of a bolt-action rather than a saddle gun. Does anyone know what model I'm talking about? Sorry I don't have more details to provide, but I've always thought this model of gun was cool. I love lever actions, and being able to include a scope made it all the more inviting. I think an old high school buddy had the same type of gun in .243. Anyone know if it is indeed Savage that makes it, and if they're still making it? If so, what calibers? Thanks in advance for any input.

I would ask my uncles, but we don't talk much anymore. Also, the only thing they'd be able to confirm is if it indeed was Savage that made the gun.

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

Savage 99. They were the best rifles Savage ever made. Many still consider them to be the best lever guns ever made. I have one in .300 savage and it was my first centerfire rifle. It is still an awesome rifle. It will shoot 1" groups with factory 150gr Rem. Corelokts and the action is smooth and tight. It has a rotary magazine that allows you to use pointed bullets, rather than the round or flat bullets you have to use with most tube-fed lever guns. It also has a cool little cartridge counter on the side of the receiver that tells you exactly how many rounds are in it. They were originally made in .250 and .300 savage calibers and were later manufactured in .243 and .308. There is a ton of info on the web about these. They can be found used on most of the online gun auction sites and I have seen them at several gunshows. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for a Savage 99.

Thanks for the information BP! From your response, it sounds like they're not making them anymore then?

I'll try and do more research on the Web now that I know the model. I agree they're sweet guns. I love the look of 'em, and judging from my uncles' and cousin's results, I'd say they shoot damn good too. I'll have to look into getting one perhaps, and justifying it's for my boy. :)

EG

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

Savage did make a limited run of them a few years back but I dont think it was that popular. If it's for your boy (great excuse) I'd look into a nice used model in .250 savage. That is a great caliber for young and old alike.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom