Save Idaho Wildlife

R

rdy2hunt

Since the tenth of November i have been on my yealy quest to kill a mature Mule Deer in the state of idaho. I have hunted ten days, two days each in all of the following areas. Unit 39 above Arrowrock, The Area surrounding Midvale, The area Near Sweet, Near Placerville, Behind Emmett.

I do not claim to be the best hunter in the state, but i do take my time, get off the roads and glass the hills a large percentage of the time. During these ten days in the field i observed animals as follows.

Arrowrock Sweet
0 doe's 5 doe
0 buck's 1 two point
0 cow elk 0 cow
1 five point bull 0 bull

Midvale Placerville
10 doe 6 doe
0 bucks 1 two point
0 cow 0 cow
0 bull 0 bull

Emmett
4 doe
0 bucks
0 cow
0 bull

These numbers tell me and should tell everyone that there is a seriouse issue with the mule deer and elk populations at least in the south western and centeral regions of idaho.

Please join with me and make sure that we as sportsmen are not happy with the way these hunts are being managed. Below are links to those who hold the most sway in hunting decisions throughout Idaho. Please send them e-mails, write them letters, visit there offices, attend public meetings and call their offices to tell them we are ready for a change.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/about/commission/members.cfm
Idaho's Commissioners

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/about/offices/directory.cfm
Idaho Fish And Game Director and Leaders.

Please pass on this information to all those that love the outdoors in idaho, and help me to save its wildlife.

I just got back from a short 3 day backpack trip. I saw 1- 4 point, 5- 2 points, and about 30 does. Didnt see any shooters but there was certainly no shortage of animals. For one thing, all the places except for Arrowrock that you mentioned I would consider "meat markets". Lots of roads, lots of folks on 4 wheelers. Even if you do alot of hiking you can never get too far from another road. These arent the kinds of places I would be looking for your mature buck... especially this early in the season.

Sorry, but I can't make generalizations about "serious issues with mule deer and elk populations in southwestern and central idaho" based on what one guy has seen so far this season. What you saw is about what I would have expected in those areas...

There is a serious shortage of animals. It was evident on the winter range, and still is now. I don't care where you go, the deer numbers are down. I know we haven't had the weather to push the deer out and it's pre-rut, but in previous years, I could always find plenty of young 2 and 3 year old bucks. This year I haven't seen anything bigger than an 18" 3 point, and I have more time to hunt than most. I think a lot of people are lying to themselves because they don't want to have any hunting opportunities lost, but something needs to happen.

There is another thread on this topic titled "Idaho Deer Herds in Big Trouble". Please read it also or combine your replies to one thread to see that this topic gets the attention it needs. If you can, post your links on that thread also.

This is a valid observation (in my opinion).

Thanks.
Monte

[email protected]

coming off a hard winter could contribute to you guys not seeing many critters.

Been out on two hunts now........backpack muley hunt prior to being socked in by heavy clouds and snow we saw five bucks and about twenty does.

Elk hunt saw five bulls and prolly thirty cows............

I base my opinions largly on what i see with my own eyes. I would describe what I've seen thus far as pretty strong numbers. Maybe even a tad better than average over the years. plenty of bucks and bulls out there.........No weather since my last backpack hunt encourages me to head back into the high country...........I'll post what I see when i get back!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom