Sawtooth Zone winter range conditions

I

ID_Paul

Has anyone heard any recent news on the conditions of the winter range habitat areas of the Sawtooth Zone? I found a 2007 report that mentions the problem of skeletonweed ( https://research.idfg.idaho.gov/wildlife/Wildlife Technical Reports/Forms/DispForm.aspx?ID=85 ) but I haven't found any information about if any agency is planning to try to control the stuff.

Some of the animals I saw seem to be in poor condition - at least to my untrained eye.

This yearling whitetail is so thin you can see its ribs
thinwhitetailfawn.jpg

These elk calves don't look much better to me, though the cow seems OK
ElkCalvesAndCow.jpg

Here are a couple photos of the skeletonweed mats near the S. Fork of the Payette

skeletonweed1.jpg

skeletonweed2.jpg

That is some ugly crap. I have seen skeleton weed and never gave it much thought. I think it comes from Russia. Definately falls under the noxious weed category. I here goats love it. I am sure the F & G have a goat crew coming by some time this summer to have a feast. I have seen what goats can do on the weiser river drainage and they can eat up a lot of noxious weeds to the ground.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom