Scenic train rides

ridgetops

Very Active Member
I'm thinking about going over to the Gunnison basin with my wife and check out the country next summer, maybe around early June. For those who have taken some of the scenic train rides in Colorado. Which ones would you recommend? I don't mind driving a few hours out of my way while traveling from Salt Lake to Gunnison if needed.

Cumbres/Toltec Chama!
Go late Sept. when aspens turning.
Do the half mile trip starting at Chama to Osier and back.
Don’t do the full day trip from Chama to Antonito, Colo. either starting point!
Most scenic trip is starting from Chama to Osier and back!
Scenery from Antonito, Colo. to Osier is predominantly sage flats and open country!
You won’t regret it!

The Durango/Silverton is a nice day outing because in addition to seeing the beautiful San Juans from the train, you also get to spend time in Silverton. Granted, it's a bit touristy, but it still can be fun just visiting the old buildings.

The one thing I would suggest, tho, is to take the train one-way only & take the bus for the other leg. You can bus either to Silverton or coming back to Durango. Tickets for either option are available.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about going over to the Gunnison basin with my wife and check out the country next summer, maybe around early June. For those who have taken some of the scenic train rides in Colorado. Which ones would you recommend? I don't mind driving a few hours out of my way while traveling from Salt Lake to Gunnison if needed.
One thing I forgot; GET RESERVATIONS in advance.

The Durango Silverton follows the Animas River most of the way. It is a stunning setting. I second riding it one way and catching the bus the other way.

We like the open cars for the visibility and fresh air. But the cinders from the locomotive get in your eyes, so take some good glasses.

The Chama train is much longer. It goes thru some different landscapes but is still very scenic. One cool thing they did was stop the train and let you off to take pictures of it driving by (Sorry-pre digital). But that was 30 years ago so things may have changed.

Enjoy. The train has been getting blamed (right or wrong) for starting forest fires. I hope they don’t turn the thing into a Tesla. That coal burner is better than a diesel.

There are a couple of scenic trains down in Az (Grand Canyon and Clarkdale-Perkinsville). I’ve floated the Verde along side the Clarkdale line many times and it would be a fun ride. Haven’t done the Williams-GC ride.

DF79AC30-1D5F-4458-810C-C62D8C6BCC00.jpeg
38F9C359-AA4B-42AD-A568-F8D200BDD943.jpeg

10A6F5CF-1AD5-4CE7-A647-7B8DBDF2E28F.jpeg

Last edited:
If you’re going to do the Durango Silverton train 1-way, do it from Silverton to Durango. There’s a lot less cinders on the way down than the way up.

1. We like the open cars for the visibility and fresh air. But the cinders from the locomotive get in your eyes, so take some good glasses.

2. Enjoy. The train has been getting blamed (right or wrong) for starting forest fires. I hope they don’t turn the thing into a Tesla. That coal burner is better than a diesel.
1. And don't wear any light colored clothes! The 1st time we rode it in the '60s, we went both ways by train. My bride wore a light pink shirt that was charcoal pink by the time we arrived back in Durango that night.

2. Once in a while when the fire danger was high, they ran a small gas-driven dealie manned by a crew of two behind the main train to squelch any hot cinder flare-ups.

Wife and I took the train from Chama to Antonio and rode a bus back one year. Went first of October right after visiting the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque. Was a great trip. Aspens were in full fall color!

Ridge. I’m from Pa. the wife and I did Grand Caynon to Denver. Drove across bottom of Co. we stayed in an old hotel in Durango ( think it was the Strater hotel) awesome. My wife still talks about our day on the Silverton train. It takes something cool to get my wife to enjoy something

I knew a guy who jumped off the balcony onto one of the chandelier’s in the Strater. Broke his back when he landed on the bar. :oops:

It’s not that kind of place anymore. Good place to have a drink or two.:cool:

I knew a guy who jumped off the balcony onto one of the chandelier’s in the Strater. Broke his back when he landed on the bar. :oops:

It’s not that kind of place anymore. Good place to have a drink or two.:cool:
What kind of drinks do they serve to make you do this???? ?

[/QUOTE="BeanMan, post: 2032786, member: 4620"]
I had a drink at the Strater when I attended FLC, a very drunk Edward Abbey was holding court there.
[/QUOTE]
Way to bring down this thread BeanMan! Bringing up that terrorist Abbeys name. ?

Speaking of train rides, has any one got a report on the Amtrak ride from Helper, Utah to Denver. Heard it was a pretty track too. Not nostalgic but cool country.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE="BeanMan, post: 2032786, member: 4620"]
I had a drink at the Strater when I attended FLC, a very drunk Edward Abbey was holding court there.
Way to bring down this thread BeanMan! Bringing up that terrorist Abbeys name. ?
[/QUOTE]
You’re thinking of Hayduke. Abbey was a misogynist drunk who threw his beer cans out the car window.

An entertaining writer for sure. His collection of essays is pretty good too. I think it was called One Life to Live or something like that.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I’ve read almost everything mentioned in that piece. :)

Dudes here will bag on him without reading that, so I’ll snip this and have no further comment.

For his funeral, Abbey stated, "No formal speeches desired,though the deceased will not interfere if someone feels the urge. But keep it all simple and brief." He requested gunfire and bagpipe music, a cheerful and raucous wake, "[a]nd a flood of beer and booze! Lots of singing, dancing, talking, hollering, laughing, and lovemaking."

✌️

I believe Hayduke & his gang were the inspiration for Dave Forman to organize his own brand of ecoterrorists under the Earth First name.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom