Scent killer vs. dog's nose

K

klunk

Boredom must have really set in for me, as you can see from the following experiment.
I wanted to see just how well all these "scent killer" sprays on the market work. I obtained a botle each of HS scents brand, Hunters specialties, and the home recipe posted here a while back. I then thoroughly doused a couple of pheasant wings with the respective sprays, let them sit for about ten minutes, handled them with a pair of tongs, and hid them in the grass. I then sent my pointer out to find a "chicken". He located each wing without hesitation. My reasoning is that if the dog can still smell the "covered/absorbed" scent, so can a deer or elk. I will be picking up a bottle of the carbon blast spray and trying it as well, just as soon as the store has some in stock. Does any body have any other suggestions of other brands to try? Any ideas that will fool the dogs nose? I wish they had a scent blocker handkercheif I could try wrapping a wing in.
Thanks

Your test interests me as I believe scent blockers are a marketing money maker that do not work most of the time. I do not no how you placed the bird wings but if you walked them out the dog likely followed your scent trail. If you did not already, try walking all over the place before pitching them or drop them from a vehicle. I read a test where a container with 2 drops of sweat was remotely opend a half mile up wind of feeding mule deer, it did not take long for the deer to vacate.

I know they work to some extent. The next time you go to the bathroom and you stink it up. Use your HS Scentaway and spray it in there instead of your flowery scented stuff. It will eliminate the odor in a few seconds to at least our noses (or more importantly my wifes nose). I know this from experience. I don't know about dogs, elk, and deer though.

Instead of spraying the wings with the scent killer it would be interesting to see what the out come would be if you raped the wings in some cloth and then sprayed the cloth? This would give you a more realistic effect. I have used the scent killer stuff befor with some success. I don't think it eliminates the sent completly, but it seems to help out some. Interesting experiment though.

400bull

I know that some of the scent killers prevent sweat from volatilizing into vapor which can be smelled. Maybe the bird wing isn't sweating enough. I've used some of the scent/sweat killers bowhunting elk before and think it helps but i'll try anything to get a margin.

BeanMan

IMHO masking scents such as cedar/pine scents work the best! Last year when my cousin took his bull we were using a Cedar scent. The bull came in within 30 yards and he did not smell us and the wind swirling a bit.

First off, I made sure I placed the wings in such a way that the dog didn't just track me.
I think I'll try the idea of wrapping it in a cloth first. I'll try it over the weekend and let everyone know how it turns out. I know that these sprays work to some degree, just spray a bit in your shoe after wearing it all day, you'll notice a big difference.
I'll keep trying to fool the dog, any other suggestions?
Thanks

I USE SAGE BRUSH SCENTED SCENT WAFERS AND HAVE HAD GOOD SUCCESS WITH THEM. I ALSO RECOMMEND SCENTED SPRAYS LIKE CEDAR, FRESH EARTH AND THE OTHER SCENTS. I HAVE DONE TESTING ON SCENT KILLERS MYSELF AND FOUND SIMILAR RESULTS THEY DO GET RID OF SOME SCENT AND THAT IS ENOUGH FOR ME TO USE THEM TO GET AN ADVANTAGE.

Just stand by the campfire for a few minutes every morning. Big game animals are used to the smell of woodsmoke, especially in the late summer hunts. They won't think twice, unless they can actually see the plumes of smoke rising. Always works for me.

Cool experiment, please keep us posted with your results from this weekend. I am in the process of deciding which one of these products to buy for an upcoming archery elk hunt.

The campfire smoke thing is interesting too. I always tried to stay out of the smoke while hunting but maybe I was doing the wrong thing. Anyone else tried this?

Klunk

The problem isn't the scent killer it's the fact that your using a pointer to find it. When your using the best bird dog out there what did you expect.You could probably bury the wing and your pointer will still find it. Maybe you should try a lab, or other breed and then you will have better results..

A few years ago I bought come cow elk in heat urine. I had a ground blind near a wallow and sprayed some around the wallow and in particular on a stump. I had a group of cow elk come in, one of them sniffed the stump, barked in alarm, and the whole group took off.

Guess they didn't like something about it.

BeanMan

We use the Scent Killer and I think it works to some degree and will continue to use it... but the smoke of fire is not a naturale scent if you are trying to get close to an elk.... campfire smell means humans and elk do not like to be around humans. We never lite a fire durring the elk hunt or Mule SDeer hunt.

I finally got around to wrapping wings in handkerchiefs, after thoroughly dousing the handkerchief with scent killer. The dog found the handkerchief all three times. With the hunters specialties brand he pointed, left and worked his way back. It was obvious he was confused, but he eventually brought it to me on his own, showing that he must have smelled bird somehow. My problem with the hunters specialties brand is that if you sniff it yourself, if has an obvious sweet smell. I worry that a deer or elk would sniff that foreign smell and decide to head out without waiting around. I'm still trying to get a hold of the carbon blast brand. I'll continue to update as the experiment progresses. Feel free to offer more suggestions. As far as using a lab instead, his mother was a lab/veisla(sp?) cross and his daddy's a german shorthair. He came out a lab-colored pointer.

thanks elkhorn for the spelling lesson.
One last experiment before the hunt starts.
I got a hold of some carbon blast spray and cover scent (skunk). I went through the same process as before, this time hiding one wing covered with carbon blast, one wing saturated with skunk scent, and one wing covered with both the carbon blast and cover scent. In all three cases, the dog found them.
My final conclusion is that the scent eliminators will work to some extent (just spray some under your armpit after a long day), but I will continue to hunt into the wind.
Has anybody else done any hunting related experiments they would be willing to share the results of?

klunk
Thanks for going to all that trouble and then reporting on your findings.
Very good info.
I never spend any money on camo scents and this re-affirms my feeling about cover scents.

Its pretty funny how many people buy "sage wafer scents" and all that. Hey folks....look around. There is sage everywhere and its free. Grab some , roll it in your hands really well and rub it on. You can also put a little bit in your boots and hat. I also try to step in the first turd (non-human only) that I see and rub my boots in it pretty good. Who knows... I do wash my clothes in scent free soap though.

Klunk....this is the most interesting thing I've read in along time!

After reading your original post and all the replies, I haven't seen the most obvious question and answer yet....unless I missed it.

What is the difference in scent ability between a pointer and big game? I know there is a big difference between even dogs...such as a pointer vs. hounds...so I wonder how much difference between elk and a pointer? Just wanted to see if anyone knows the answer. If it's never been answered, maybe some young college person can use it for a masters thesis or even a doctorate dissertation! You may have unlocked a major mystery!!!!

All kidding aside, your's was great post!

Paysonguy

I've been using scent eliminator sprays for 25 years. Some seem to work better than others. But you also have to clean your clothes etc... And you have to clean your washer and dryer before you clean your gear.

That being said I've found one crystal(maybe from Israel??) and a product called pit stop paste that totally kills sweat scent to my nose. Even after a day or two I can't smell myself. But maybe the animals can.

One flaw that I see in testing is that wings won't scare an animal, but human scent will. So how can we test for human scent vs something else.

Also I have a lab. To fool him you will have to plant things by throwing them a long ways. He has trailed us by rubber boot tracks, tire tracks etc..... He is very tough to fool.

Unless he is upwind. Thats the big key anyway. Keep the wind in your favor. In the meantime Scent Shield seems to work the best for us in bowhunting. Its cheap, easy to use and helps. So why not use it?

Its one of those things that does not hurt, so I keep using it since its cheap. And the pit stop type stuff keeps me from smelling so thats a plus too. I don't think anyone likes their own body odor anyway.....

Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom