School land

Chow_Hound

My understanding is that as long as there are not crops growing on the school land you can hunt it. Am I interpreting the law correctly?

Thanks

We did last year - no expert since it was my first trip to WY but my understanding is yes you can hunt it as long as there is access like BLM or other public land. The area we hunted had a pretty big chunk you could hunt and was OK place to take a doe antelope.

I believe Utah has a law about cultivated land. In Wyoming you need permission to hunt private land, and it is your responsibility to know the boundaries. You don't need permission to hunt school sections, because the land belongs to the state.

G14

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-09 AT 02:26PM (MST)[p]Crops don't have anything to do with whether you can hunt state land. Some state lands have restricted access, such as if the railroad has an easement on it. You also can't camp on state land. One area where I duck hunt is state land and every year I see Colorado fisherman camping there. Nothing more enjoyable than calling the sheriff's office at 6am and reporting the incident. Most times a deputy will show up shortly thereafter. And off they go. Beats getting a ticket I guess...

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-09 AT 08:27PM (MST)[p]Triple_BB,

Look at page 7 of of the "Wyoming Hunting Guide" on the game and fish website - "However, those state lands that are used to grow crops are not open to hunting without the lessee?s permission"

Why I originally posted the question is that it talks about the lands "generally" being open to hunting. Wondered whether there were circumstances other than cropland that mattered.

the designated purpose of state school land is to provide revenue to the state, if certain activites conducted on that land could reduce the revenue it is currently generating it could be closed to those activites, these areas should be posted or signed with those restrictions, this dosn't happen often that i,ve seen but we have a state section in our area that they did make walk in only because the vehicle traffic from hunting was decreasing the grazing value of the land. I found this info out by going to the public comment session that the state held on a land swap for this property.

Triple BB is flat wrong. Crops have everything to do with it.

The law is simple. You may hunt a school section unless someone has it leased and is growing row crops on it. I got this info directly from the state lands board about 10 years ago when I called their office. A rancher had lied to me, claiming a school section was his property and had actually posted it.

Doubt there are any states sections that aren't leased. Show me a state section with crops on it. Maybe 1 out of 100. Wouldn't worry about it, yer trying to pick the fly chit out of the pepper...

yeah tell that fly chit joke to a game warden.

A lot of guys like Triple BB are ignorant to game laws. They think they know them all.

It all depends on what part of the state you are hunting that determines the % of state land that has crops on it. Eastern part has a lot, western part almost none. NE section of the state has a lot, southeast not so sure about.

This thread is a good example of what you should do regarding game laws. Don't post your question here where you get people like Triple BB responding. Contact the Fish and game, state park, forest service whoever your question will pertain to. And if you still have questions hit redial and call them back.

Good point dumbazz. Make sure you rip the original poster for not contacting the G & F to begin with. Then make sure and go through every post on this site where someone asked a question and advise them to contact the G & F. You'll save us lot's of confusion...

The state told me that hay was not considered a row crop and you can hunt it but advised me to walk in only and not to drive a vehicle. Basically just common sense stuff. The school section I was questioning them about was mostly sage but also had some hay on it. They gave me the green light to hunt it.

The only one causing any confusion on this thread is that one nut - triple B. If you know anything at all about game law enforcement, you know that even breaking even a small fraction of a law will result in getting a ticket if caught... I used to be a game warden, and I can tell you my colleagues could care less how ambiguous the law was... break it, get a ticket, simple as that.

Triple B needs to stop trying making excuses for his silly post on this thread. He blew it and needs to move on.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom