school shootings

locofife

As you are probably all aware several people have been killed in school shootings lately. I'm sorry for the families, and wish that such things had not happened, but, what can be done to prevent or at least minimize casualties in such occurances in the future? This gentleman has an interesting point of view. What do you all think?
http://www.blueoregon.com/2005/04/let_the_teacher.html

P.S. Some of the posts provide some interesting reading if you have the time to peruse.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-06 AT 00:28AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-06 AT 00:27?AM (MST)

I think if I were a teacher I would definitely feel secure knowing I had a pistol handy if some mad gunman were ever to enter my school. BUT...I'd never, ever forgive myself if that gun got into the wrong hands and a person died from damage caused by bullets fired from the gun I brought into a school.

Would it even be a deterrent anyway? Most shooters are totally crazy at that point and end up taking their own lives anyway so why would they be afraid of getting shot? And could someone packing a gun react fast enough to find that gun with a shooter on the rampage BEFORE the shooter killed someone? I'm not convinced that arming teachers would help.

Jenn

What do laws have to do with these shootings??? These are sick, crazy people and no law in the world is going to stop them. The only wat to stop this kind of act would be to put up fences or walls around every school and make EVERYONE that enters that school go through guarded gates wth metal detectors.

#1 'an formost; Concielded carry!!!
A responsible trained CC person can eliminate the problem right-danged now!

#2. NO national news coverage!!
These things happen in bunches, I believe one triggers another!
Copycat thing...

#3. Firearms safty should be a required class in grade schools, might not stop shootings, butt it would eliminate axidents.

A state senator from Wisconsin is introducing legislation in the state legislator to allow trained school personel to carry. It goes against federal law in schools so this will probably not fly. Tough call I've taught in the same school for 25 years and the last couple years are the first time I've ever felt it might happen in the very rural area where I teach. The good news is we are only 35 miles away from any law enforcement. I guess I'm against it to much chance of a gun getting away from a teacher when they turn their back.

I'm not sure what would be the best option. I imagine it would be possible for a kid to get a hold of a teacher's gun and cause trouble, but that all depends on the vigilance of the teacher. Just consider, if two or three teachers at Columbine had been packing and had been able to successfully, shall we say, subdue the two idiots doing the shooting, how many people would have been killed? 5? 10? I imagine it would have been less than the final number ended up being, but I don't know. Would teachers packing prevent future assaults? I doubt it. Would it reduce the number of casualties inflicted when such attacks happen? Perhaps. Now, just because a person holds a concealed weapons permit doesn't mean they will be able to react appropriately in such situations, so maybe it wouldn't be good idea to allow anyone that has one to carry. On the other hand, if certain teachers were willing to go through additional training at their own expense, and then carry,then I think it could be a viable option. The schools would gain extra security, without having to shell out the extra bucks that they don't have. Just a few thoughts to consider.

I'm for teachers packing in school. Legislation needs to be changed to accomodate it.

There is no amount of anti-gun legislation that will prevent a bad guy from waking up and killing people. Of course the anti's don't realize this.

"RKBA....ALL THINGS CONSIDERED"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom