Scope Level

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-18 AT 11:44AM (MST)[p]I guess it depends on how far you are shooting. Up close it doesn't effect much. If you are shooting long range a cantted rifle can make a missed target.
Watch this video. He explains it much better then I can type it.

Like JT said,

If you're shooting "far", use a scope anti-cant device (bubble) and you'll have improved results.

The key is to get and keep the rifle level and then make sure the crosshairs are perfectly plumb (hang a rope at 100 yards is what I do) and THEN install the level without moving the gun/scope. This can be tricky unless you've got a vise or like unto it.

Just sticking a bubble on your gun might help a little but if you do the above steps, you'll see real-world results.

Good luck....and use a bubble at distance.

Zeke

#livelikezac

I think they are worth it. My brother and I used to argue about who's scope was crooked when we were younger. After aligning the scope with the bore and attaching the level we could see that I was holding with a pretty good cant. I've got them on all my rifles now and have seen my groups shrink at every range beyond 100 yards. But like was mentioned above the setup is the key to it.

If you are dialing your turret for elevation, you need to have a level on your scope (and it needs to match your reticle). Long range shooting is about removing as many variables as possible, and reticle being plumb is a big variable.

2a0fcsk.gif

I completely understand the mechanics and reason for it, and importance of setup, the reason I asked the question is a guy who I respect a lot, and who is probably 100 times better shooter than I am, told me guys like me who grew up shooting really don't need a scope level. But all the research I did, and my own intuition told me otherwise.

I just didn't want to look like a chump with a scope level on my setup!

But I do believe it is a useful, helpful, worthwhile device for shooting a longer ranges. And I put it on my new build I picked up from the gunsmith last week!

I'm doing barrel break-in and scope zeroing today :)

>I completely understand the mechanics and
>reason for it, and importance
>of setup, the reason I
>asked the question is a
>guy who I respect a
>lot, and who is probably
>100 times better shooter than
>I am, told me guys
>like me who grew up
>shooting really don't need a
>scope level. But all the
>research I did, and my
>own intuition told me otherwise.
>
>
>I just didn't want to look
>like a chump with a
>scope level on my setup!
>
>
>But I do believe it is
>a useful, helpful, worthwhile device
>for shooting a longer ranges.
>And I put it on
>my new build I picked
>up from the gunsmith last
>week!
>
>I'm doing barrel break-in and scope
>zeroing today :)

I've done my own "testing" where j attempt to "self level" the reticle, using my own gut feel, and topography. Let's just say, even tho I'm a carpenter and can pick out an unlevel hung picture at 100 yards, I can level a reticle worth a damn!

2a0fcsk.gif

I have thought about doing this with my favorite rifle. The rifle is a .300 Winchester Magnum Sako 85 with a Swarovski 3-12 scope. It shoots a 1" group at 300 yards. My problem is simple, all the rifles I have seen with one of these requires you to look through the scope with your dominant eye and use your other eye to level with the anti-cant or level. Unfortunately, my other eye is totally blind. It is awkward to look through the scope and at the device at the same time with my only eye. Any suggestions?
just sayin...mh

MH,
That is a disadvantage but you could use one (when you have plenty of time) if you want.

There are products which protrude from the side and a quick glance would help you level it better on uneven terrain or there are some that mount at a top ring so a quick look over the scope might verify if you're level.

It's something that I've become use to using given the time. It's not something for those quick shots at closer ranges.

My dad was blind in his left eye too.

Zeke

#livelikezac

You can get a lite level as well. Send it makes a level that lights up so its easier to see. Either to your top scope ring or a rail mount. There are also scopes out now that have a light in the eye piece so you can level your gun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom