Scope mount problem

treedagain

Long Time Member
I have a savage axis that I bought for my grandson that was drilled and tapped off center from the factory. What are my mount options to help get the windage correct?

Agreed. have them send it back to China and try it again.

But if you want the standard Redfield style bases have enough windage to correct any problem.

Maybe too much hassle, time, and money for shipping to send back to Savage if windage adjustable bases would do the trick?

Horniac

Maybe Savage is made in America. to Chinese standards.

If they can't drill and tap a receiver in the center that's a problem. I wonder if the chamber is at a 10 degree angle to the bore.

It doesn't instill a confidence in quality. just say'in.

IF the holes are drilled off the top centerline but perpindicular to the bore.....your idea might work BUT...the windage adjustment is going to affect elevation too.....

IF the holes are drilled and tapped off center but parallel to the vertical centerline the mount isn't going to seat correctly to the receiver.

Obviously this is greatly exagerated.......but lots of issues

9C8B5F0D-B65C-4DF7-8287-36241477DC98.jpeg

I would send it back. If you turned the scope reticle parallel to the bore centerline and not aligned with the bases then elevation might be okay. But the windage would always be off.

It would be like putting a scope on a Model 94 Winchester, with a scope that's mounted off to the side and not in line with the bore the windage has to be off.

I don't know how far it's off but if you can get bases that will have enough adjustment to get the scope back over the centerline of the barrel and then turn the scope reticle to align with the bore.

But I would send it back. If their quality control is that bad then what else is wrong with it.

I have a email out to them. We will see what happens. I bought it well over a year ago and found the problem after Christmas ?

I would send it back. If you turned the scope reticle parallel to the bore centerline and not aligned with the bases then elevation might be okay. But the windage would always be off.

It would be like putting a scope on a Model 94 Winchester, with a scope that's mounted off to the side and not in line with the bore the windage has to be off.

I don't know how far it's off but if you can get bases that will have enough adjustment to get the scope back over the centerline of the barrel and then turn the scope reticle to align with the bore.

But I would send it back. If their quality control is that bad then what else is wrong with it.
the mechanical windage adjustments on the rear ring WILL always affect elevation when mounted off center.....no way to avoid that. But it should be a one time thing.....this is all moot really though. It needs to be made right by Savage.

I just mounted a scope on one of these in 350 Legend for a friend. I had to use the medium height Leupold 2 piece mount but had to flip them and use the rear windage mount up front instead. It was the only way to get a 40mm scope to mount and move the scope far enough back for his eye relief. Even a picatinny base would not work due to the objective hitting the end of the base.

I just mounted a scope on one of these in 350 Legend for a friend. I had to use the medium height Leupold 2 piece mount but had to flip them and use the rear windage mount up front instead. It was the only way to get a 40mm scope to mount and move the scope far enough back for his eye relief. Even a picatinny base would not work due to the objective hitting the end of the base.
I’ve had to trim/file down the end of a few picatinny rails to clear an objective also.

bulk gun manufacturing is like everything else nowadays. Nobody takes pride in their work. Just want a paycheck..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom