Scope mounts for Savage 116 FHSAK 338 win mag

BigMass

I am ready to scope my Savage 116 FHSAK 338 win mag and have read read some things that concern me about what scope mounts work best.
Anybody out there put a scope on one of these, and if so what did you use and how well did they work. I'm going to put a Leupold V-3 on it.

I'd probably go with a dual dovetail or rail type base. Both systems have been proven dependable on high recoiling guns. Leupold, Talley, Barnes and Burris all make some quality mounting systems. If you go to a detachable stick with Talley or Barnes. Your scope choice should work just fine since they have the best warranty in the business and build a quality product.

I like Leupold but have read of some problems with the Leupold bases on this model of Savage. It seems like I have seen the dual dovetail system mentioned as possibly working well with this gun.

I would say that 95% of the mounting systems issues are usually attributed to installer error with these companies and most firearms today, or not selecting the correct base to install. The dual dovetail is a good solid system but don't look past a good rail system for the versatility it can offer. The rail has advantages with ease of removal and being able to move scopes around w/o having to remove part of the rings to do it and they have a very positive locking system and can be made for commerical application. You can get the rail bases in one and two piece mounts with the one piece offering mutiple mounting positions or picatinney style designs.

The FHSAK has a muzzle brake on it so any decent mounting system will work fine. I have Leupold mounts on most of my bolt guns, but some wear Warne Weaver type mounts and rings also.

Not a FHSAK, nor a .338 but I used the Leopold medium mounts on my wife's 116 in 7mm-08. No problems in approx. 150 rounds and 2 hunts. Horse hunt this year will test them further.

I just put a DNZ on my savage 110 in .243 and love it at the same time I bought one for my 116 but bought the wrong one its for an all round reciever and my 116 is the older one with a flat back DNZ doesn't make one with a flat back mount. If your newer 116 has an all round reciever and want an all round med in flat black for a 56mm tube PM me its just sittin' on the bench.

Good luck getting any two piece base to work on a 116. The action is really looonnnnggg, and most scope tubes are too short. If you get a Talley Lightweight 2 piece, with the extended rear it will probably work. Otherwise get a one piece rail.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom