Scope rings

Firedad

Read some old threads but want the conversation to include newer products. I am waiting for a seekins element 7mm prc and bought a leupold vx-6hd 4-24x52 tmoa for it. Looking at some high quality rings to match the set up. Are the $400 rings worth the cost over $200 rings? One piece vs two separate rings? Suggestions?

One piece limits your mount range, A rail and good rings is the way to go in my opinion. I've seen several talk about the ARC m-brace rings over on the longrangehunting forum. They aren't the typical talley verticals that like to crush scopes. Seekins regular split rings get good reviews.

The seekins has a built in rail so that is covered but I understand what you’re saying about limited mounting range. Thank you. I say someone posted about the ARC mbrace on LRH. You’d think the hinge would be the weak point.

I think he gets 3 points of pressure/contact along a greater circumference vs 2 for regular split rings. Regular split rings lose pressure as you start moving around the side of the scope. I looked at them a cpl weeks ago but ended up just using a set of nightforce rings I had already used and new they would work.

You absolutely do not need to spend $400 on rings. I’ve used and have had great success with Nightforce UL, Ken Farrell, Seekins, and APA pic rings. Buy a quality pic ring set and you’ll have no issues.

Incidentally, the only pic ring I’ve ever had any trouble with was an ARC MBRACE. It would bind on the scope tube. It would audibly snap onto the scope tube since the ring wasn’t perfectly round. It would hang onto the tube defying gravity even without the top clamp being closed. Tried it on 3 different scopes. All same. Sent them back. They have a great rep so I’d assume I just got a dud. In theory, they are a heck of a lot easier to level a scope reticle with.

Stay away from Talley lightweights if you shoot a magnum and or a heavy scope, and if you must use them, lap them to remove the inherent stress in the design. The Hawkins are much better if you want this ring design and have the mounting flexibility. Takes a long scope to work on a long action.

The seekins has a built in rail so I don’t think that’ll be a problem. I’ve never spent so much on a set up that I thought I might as well spring for the best rings. I’ve heard good things about the seekins rings

Yep, Seekins are great. Not the lowest, but unless you need really low (which you don’t), I see no reason why not to use them.

I feel like having the rifle to be sure what height would clear the bolt and the barrel would make me feel more confident. Plus shouldering the rifle to see if the comb/cheek weld lines up proper. I like the idea of a bit high cause wouldn’t that allow for dialing to longer distances for target shooting?

Isn’t your rail canted? That should give you plenty! And unless it’s a fat barrel, medium rings should work fine.

They should also be able to tell you exactly which Seekins ring height to use. But my money is on Medium.

I use Nightforce Ultralight (6-screw) two-piece on my 300 PRC. No issues at all. I have Seekins on my other rifles (also 2-piece). Both are great and I've had no reason to lap either of them. Fit and finish are excellent

Just make sure the contact points are clean and everything is torqued properly. Looks like the rail is incorporated so no need to worry about adding blue-loctite.

Please post a follow-up on load development, etc. Would love to see that 7 PRC in action :)

It’ll be awhile. I’ve never handloaded but I plan on finding components and using my father-in-law’s equipment. Lucky for me to start all I’ll need is heavier bullets than what he has for his 7rm

Awesome! 175-180 grainers are expected to perform well in the 7 PRC. Very curious how well the 190 grain projectiles will do. I suspect Retumbo and H1000 powders will get you to the promised land.

Personally, I use Hawkins rings. I had the same scope and on a Defiance action I used lows and they worked great.

Is it necessary to lap rings?
Very debatable topic. One cannot say that it is either always needed or never needed, it depends…. Depends on the quality of the ring itself, so buy good ones, and it also depends on the rifle’s receiver and the base holes being drilled true to center. The best rings in the world might still need lapped if the receiver base holes make for alignment error.

A set of alignment bars will tell you if lapping is needed. I highly recommend them for anyone wishing to mount their own scopes.

I don’t but does say cabelas or scheels use alignment bars? I know they use the leveling system. Maybe I’ll talk to my smith and see what he has to say. The rifle has a railed action so no worry about base holes. See this is why I was looking at spurhr, as you said buy quality.

Hell no Cabelas or someone at Sportsmans doesn’t use alignment bars. They won’t even know what that is! Don’t ever trust your scope mounting to a big box retailer! I doubt they even level properly with a plumb line. Levels on the turret won’t cut it.

With your integral rail and with good pic rings you definitely should not need to lap. You’ll know right away. Put the lower half of the rings on the rail and lay the scope in them. If the scope slides around inside the lower ring halves with no binding or excess resistance, you’re good.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom