Score? New to elk hunting looks big to me.

Denny

What do you guys think in a range of score? I say shoot but I have never got a antlered elk. I have seen this guy the last two weekends and got a couple nice trail camera pics so I thought I would post.
WGI_0014.JPG

WGI_0015.JPG

I’m not much of an elk scorer, but he looks good to me........well, until I burn my points in Utah. I’ll probably be looking for a bit bigger.

Looks a lot bigger in the first picture. I'd say in the 320 range ? Young bull. No mass but some decent tine and beam length. A shooter in most places.

In Colorado or Idaho, he looks young but probably a local stud.... in Utah, AZ or NM, depending on the unit, you might be wondering what could have happened if you let him walk.....

I’d say 300ish. Nice looking bull. I would say if you would be thrilled to harvest him then go for it, that’s all that matters. He’s a great bull.

315. I can’t imagine what that thing could be two years from how. What is he 3.5 years old?

That is true roadrunner but I was just curious as a 15year midwestern QDM guy who is trying to get used to looking at Elk. You guys made some good points about him being young I didn't think of that. It might be the QDM in me but since I have plenty of time to scout still I am going to keep looking for an older bull but still keep a camera around to keep an eye on this guy. Thanks for all the comments.

I would agree with the low 300s and looks to be real young. He also looks to have good threes and good main beams. Genetics look good he could be a really nice bull in a couple years. Location is the deal for me, if this is Colorado public shoot him. If its central Arizona I'd hold out.

I'd say that bull will break 320. He's got pretty good thirds, fourths and 5ths. Not a lot of mass, but if that was my first chance at a bull elk, I'd take him.
Good luck, and let us know how you do.

hwy

Well, I'm no expert but my dad just shot a 6x6 a couple weeks ago and we scored it in the back yard.... First time we've scored one but I think we came close. I'd say this is closer to 340. Id like to see a head on picture. Good tine length but not much mass. Nice bull, shoot!! Especially if you've never shot a bull before!

I'm not sure about score, but as said above, shoot what makes you happy!

Let us know how it goes!

I honestly think he MIGHT go 300. He's young, not heavy, and not long. If he's the biggest bull you've seen, go get him.! He's a fine 6x6. There are limited entry units where you might pass, but if this is general season anywhere, I'd take him.

Nah man I'm putting that bull well clear of 300, probably in the 310-20 range like many others here have said. Lack of mass hurts him, but he's got plenty good tine length to clear 300. Definitely young, agree with those that say Colorado public pop him, higher end NM or AZ units let him walk. Hopefully you get more pics of him in 2 years, he's gonna be a stud!

That bull might not be as young as you guys think. Spoiler alert: majority of bulls won’t even make it to 350 at any point in their life in most areas.

That could be the top end of the unit he is in. FFS.

Well yeah, no doubt it's not a given that a bull will hit 350 just by getting old. So many other factors. I was going more off facial and body characteristics (not just size as obviously that will change given geography and genetics as well). Regardless, awesome bull.

Would you be happy with him? Have you seen bigger in your unit? Are there other hunters around? How difficult was the tag to draw? How long is your season?
The reality is that you may or may not even get the opportunity, or more than one opportunity. Most people will not kill a bull that size in their lifetime.

Solid bull, nice tine length from the 3rds on up. The fronts are a little weak and he is lacking a little mass. I agree with what others have stated, 310ish.

Don't get caught up in the scoring hype. He is a nice bull. If you pass on him and then eat tag soup you will be very very sorry. Unless you see something better consistently in your scouting, take him.

As far as score, decent fronts, nice long 4ths and good 5&6. Anyone who says he will score under 320 should look again.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom