SD Pheasant 2016 Nov. hunt

Gator

Long Time Member
It look like the first weekend in Nov will be the ticket this year for the annual road trip back home for a week of ditch parrots at it finest. Birds are looking good so far.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Hoping we have a great one, You're are always invited back again Bruce.

I appreciate that Gator and I'm sure I'll make it back there again one day. My problem is I have this obsession with hunting Big Game and it takes up a lot of my time. LOL

I know that feeling.
But I'm a South Dakota boy, pheasants run in my blood,I have to have a week or so of walking my A$$ off following a good dog or two.
Hope you get a monster one this fall, I know I'm sure going to give hell in AZ.

Gator,

As a guy who chases pointing dogs for four months a years on chukar, I've always envied your posts.

I'm retiring next year "17" so I'd like to tag along and learn it.

What do I have to do?

Let me know if the 6-12th Nov works for ya. We leave Sol Cal on the morning of the 5th arriving mid morning on the 6th, We hunt that afternoon we hunt until Sat mid day then haul azz back home. We can take the northern route out thru Wyoming or over the top thru Denver.
3 guy to a truck and we switch off on the driving every time we fill up. Works pretty good.

Hi Gator,

I'm going to be over there that week as well, I would like to meet up with you on the 7th if that works for you. It should be a good year.

Lance

You still have my cell# let's meet up in Carpenter on the 7th for breakfast. They are seeing good numbers of birds now, They are thinking some area's will have a double hatch But is a hit and miss deal some area's in the county are doing better then others. I guess we will know shortly if they are seeing any more young birds, Most of the one's they are seeing are half grown, They never saw a lot of chicks in June and July THEN bam they are seeing a bunch of almost grown birds, with a few smaller birds mixed in.
Crops are going good so that means good amount of bugs to feed those young birds. they put off haying for a couple of weeks to give the birds a better chance at hatching before cutting and baling took place.

This year we released 140 hens(April) and they have seen some of those birds with chicks(July), there even been some that have traveled down the road a few miles to new a spot(creek bottom with a milo field up against it) and they have been seen with chicks. So they are spreading out some from the release area.

So where(closest town) are you hunting, should be a good year around where we are hunting. Some area's are better then others so read the DGF report on where the most increase in birds are reported to be will help in some cases. We hunt up in Clark county area.

Good area down there too, they always get a good hatches down that way, they take good care of their pheasants they know what it takes to be a good care taker. We will pass right thru there on our way.

The ready to go Count down has started. The chill is in the air, Come on Nov.

Due to unforeseen issues I'm not able to even go to South Dakota this year and it's killing me as it's such a fun trip that I enjoy doing every year, so Gator don't shoot them all, sorry that I won't be able to catch up with you this year, I was looking forward to hunting with you this year. I am already counting down till next years trip.

Lance

Dang Lance
We sure are going to miss ya,But I will try and get a few pictures to send to ya during that time LOL. Around that area they are picking corn fast and seeing a bunch of birds, Hoping the weather stays nice for us.
Small group this year.

Shut the door turn out the lights it time to head east.
Bags are packed Dog's are loaded. Time to roll.

Gator,

I hope you knock em dead. Chasing chukar or quail every weekend here but wishing I was along on your trip.

I'll be available next year.

Another good season put to bed, 3 guys 3 dogs LOTS of cover as the corn disappeared the pheasants showing up increased greatly.
Limits every day, good dog work, Had to pass on the Bigger sloughes and such just didn't have the horses to cover them.
The small stuff worked out pretty good with the small numbers of birds picking up 2 to 3 birds in each worked area worked pretty good still.
All in all with the awesome weather 60-70's, good shooting, seeing some monster WT it was a great trip.

Joel and family(4) when back around Thanksgiving and had a great time, They seen and hunted even more birds then we did in early Nov hunt(all the corn was gone and the weather was cold/snowy moved the birds into all the slough's during their hunt) They had alot of birds to hunt had some huge flushes, Good news if the winter is a good one we will have a good carry over for next spring.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom