SD Pheasant 2017

Gator

Long Time Member
The roosters and hens are all getting together,my brother said the number of pheasants are really good. So far around the area we hunt the numbers are looking good, not a huge winter kill, now just got to hope for a good hatch and the fall hunt should be a good one again.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I actually might be able to do it this year. My priorities have changed. I need to get in one last hunt with my dad.

That's good news, I was worried after the winter that they had. Am looking forward to this year after having to miss last year.

Shummy
make sure you grab Bill H and bring him with ya,
Get those dogs ready to rock.

Close call at work today. I've never been closer to getting killed. Now my priorities have really changed! I'll get some dogs in shape!

Be careful, slow down and smell the roses.
Hope to see ya this fall.

Looks like we will be headed back around the 5th of Nov.
Hoping for a good year.

Next weekend
Forecast says slim picking in some area's 40% down.
Hope the corn is picked.

SD&ND are way down because of the drought.Been going to ND for 12 years last year was the worst year and there saying the birds are down 60% from last year.Im not sure if we're going to go this year.Its a long ways and a lot of money for 3 or 4 birds a day for 8 guys.But I think SD is in better shape than ND.

Talking to my family, they are seeing a lot more pheasants now that the corn is being combined.
They said there will be some good hunts, as more corn is taken out and the pheasants start to bunch up in the nearby sloughs and Creek bottom/CRP. Area's we have been turning hens loose in the spring have the most pheasants.
Bucks are starting to rut to boot.
I'm ready to roll.

I'm headed up near Redfield, SD over veteran's day weekend for some pheasant. Happy to report, once I get back on Monday evening. Looking forward to some good friends, good food, and flushing roosters! :7

Weather sucked, But we did get into some good shooting and birds. First days was hard hunting with few birds and low temps. The last 3 days made up for it with high winds fast birds and some great shooting.
With 4 and sometime 5 guys we ended up with 53 birds.
Some mornings it was a Balmy 10 degrees high for the day was 24* with a nice stiff breeze. LOL.
So_NV_ I know you planned it right and hit that those high temp's on Sat and Sunday. Hope you found some good hunting.

Saw a ton of WT Buck rutting even seen a few Big ones.
Overall tough hunt but did find enough birds overall to keep us happy and the Dogs working.

Special Thank To Lance.
Wish you had been there those last 2 days and saw the huge flush of birds as we final got into some huge numbers with just 4 guys it was shoot the close ones and watch the others fly out the ends.
We sure could use those great dogs you had with ya.
That was a good Muley you got on the way home also.
Next year we will do it again for sure.

Got back from my pheasant hunt at Olsen's Pheasant Phun (http://www.pheasantphun.com/). This was my first time pheasant hunting and we spent the weekend with them. We had an amazing time! We were able to limit both days and had excellent weather. Wonderful hospitality, great guides, lots of flushing roosters, and awesome dogs. It was a great trip. I would highly recommend this outfit to anyone wanting to have a great time hunting pheasant and hang with a genuine group of folks.

27279sodakpheasanthunt201733.jpg

57542sodakpheasanthunt201728.jpg

This COLD weather they are having will thin out the old and weak -34 with a 20 mph winds.
Glad they didn't burn off those sloughes this year.
Will be stocking hens again this spring for sure.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom