SE Colorado late rifle!

txhunter58

Long Time Member
Heading up to Southeast Colorado above the panhandle of Oklahoma to mule deer hunt the first of Dec. I know where we are hunting (public land) but just curious if they will still be rutting then? Do you use scents? Anyone ever rattled? Any other hunting tips/tactics for deer in that area during the late season?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Be ready for cold temps.
We usually see some mulies on our way down to Texas over Christmas. Look over those small washes and old homesteads.

Good luck, we have seen some nice bucks on our travels down through there.

They will be on the tail end of the rut. You may have a doe go into heat late and find the mature bucks with her. Scents really aren't going to help you as you are rifle hunting deer and that country is so open.

My advice is to find the highest elevation spots and be there at day break glassing. Have a good spotting scope too. Stay mobile glassing from high spots until you find a deer worth chasing. Wait until he beds, mark the spot and then wait for the wind to pick up and stalk him. That's how we kill our deer in that country just north of you.

I haven't spent a whole lot of time in that corner of Colo but if it's anything like the rest of that side of the state the deer population is super low. Plan on covering gobs and gobs of country via truck, foot, and eyes. As mentioned above it's likely the tail end of the rut and bucks should be still active. If there are any ag fields there likely are deer...if there is any type of cover and trees (which are far and few between). There's likely limited water sources...especially during summer months. You may want to check out those areas as well.

Thanks guys! Getting excited about going. Will let you know how it turns out

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom