Sea Ice..........

202typical

Long Time Member
Science @ Daily Tech
Sea Ice Ends Year at Same Level as 1979
Michael Asher - January 1, 2009 11:31 AM

Thirty years of sea ice data. The record begins at 1979, the year satellite observations began (Source: Arctic Research Center, University of Illinois)
Rapid growth spurt leaves amount of ice at levels seen 29 years ago.

Thanks to a rapid rebound in recent months, global sea ice levels now equal those seen 29 years ago, when the year 1979 also drew to a close.

Ice levels had been tracking lower throughout much of 2008, but rapidly recovered in the last quarter. In fact, the rate of increase from September onward is the fastest rate of change on record, either upwards or downwards.

The data is being reported by the University of Illinois's Arctic Climate Research Center, and is derived from satellite observations of the Northern and Southern hemisphere polar regions.

Each year, millions of square kilometers of sea ice melt and refreeze. However, the mean ice anomaly -- defined as the seasonally-adjusted difference between the current value and the average from 1979-2000, varies much more slowly. That anomaly now stands at just under zero, a value identical to one recorded at the end of 1979, the year satellite record-keeping began.

Sea ice is floating and, unlike the massive ice sheets anchored to bedrock in Greenland and Antarctica, doesn't affect ocean levels. However, due to its transient nature, sea ice responds much faster to changes in temperature or precipitation and is therefore a useful barometer of changing conditions.

Earlier this year, predictions were rife that the North Pole could melt entirely in 2008. Instead, the Arctic ice saw a substantial recovery. Bill Chapman, a researcher with the UIUC's Arctic Center, tells DailyTech this was due in part to colder temperatures in the region. Chapman says wind patterns have also been weaker this year. Strong winds can slow ice formation as well as forcing ice into warmer waters where it will melt.

Why were predictions so wrong? Researchers had expected the newer sea ice, which is thinner, to be less resilient and melt easier. Instead, the thinner ice had less snow cover to insulate it from the bitterly cold air, and therefore grew much faster than expected, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center.

In May, concerns over disappearing sea ice led the U.S. to officially list the polar bear a threatened species, over objections from experts who claimed the animal's numbers were increasing.

Whooo hooo! Way to go Mr. Gore! You did it! Mission Accomplished!

Yeaaaa for the polar bears!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I am a global warming (human caused global warming, at any rate) skeptic. I keep hearing stories like this one which don't jibe well with the human caused global warming narrative the news media feeds us. I'm not saying this information in isolation proves anything, but it isn't only this isolated information which does not conform with the human caused global warming orthodoxy. Another point about this story that I find interesting is the extent to which assumptions were used to make predictions . . . and the assumptions were faulty assumptions. The science of climate change is not mature. Not anywhere near mature. Yet their "predictions" are wheeled out with all the trappings and accoutrements of certainty and unchallenged concensus.

No surprise. I wonder if the good news is President Bush's fault. How about it HDUDE?

Nice nice nice article..... course you dont hear from the nut cases in here that believe in man made global warming when something like this is posted....... Where are you 5 nuts anyways, come on out and play!!!

So what makes this article true and the ones supporting man made global warming false? just because you like it it's the gospel?

You guys act like a chimp who found a pistol, you know it's something you like but you're not sure what to do with it.

ok huntindude u have the floor, explain global warming before man existed. Then i will be more then happy to share articles why man made global warming is bullshit.
We believe the ones against man made causes because it makes much more sense. Why did earth go threw warming and cooling periods before man even existed? Or earlier periods of man? If it happened then before fossil fuels. Why all of the sudden when it happens now, its man caused?
Why do you believe the morans that are using environmental extremism to control everyone, instead of common sense people. Do I need to remind you, these same nuts were blaming cattle burps, and farts for global warming... and you believe these quacks.. give me a break!!

The methane deal is stupid, but that doesn't mean man made global warming is stupid.

We know as fact that the earth has had major climate changes for millions maybe billions of years before man evolved. we also know as fact we are in a period of record warming , the only debate is why. if it's natural then we adapt or die, that's nature and so be it. if it's man made we should possess the intellect to halt our impact to save ourselves, if we don't then that's natural selection I suppose but hard to excuse.

I don't know and you don't know, give the experts time to figure it out. for either one of us laypersons to claim we have this knowledge would only prove our stupidity. if it's bunk we'll know in time that no major damage is done, we all know the greenies aren't going to get everything they want before this debate is settled, get real the sky is not falling. my biggest fear is they're right, that would be way way worse than if they're wrong.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom