Season dates pushed back a bit next year.

I’d do a 3rd I think over a 4th. The longer you wait into the year, the more bucks that die before your hunt. But it also depends on the unit you’re looking at.
The 2nd season dates in 2021 are pretty late.

I’d do a 3rd I think over a 4th. The longer you wait into the year, the more bucks that die before your hunt. But it also depends on the unit you’re looking at.
The 2nd season dates in 2021 are pretty late.

that's what i was thinking also. have a couple units interested in i think the year before I'm going to spend a couple days in each unit during season and check it out, knowing the year after will be completely different i just want to see what's there at the time. units looking at are 44 21 22. really familiar with 21 and i know its not what it was. 44 i know some guys that are there every year and have hunted 22 when it was bad. heard some things on unit 10, i just know it as a elk unit tho.

No unit is what is was, and unless huge changes are made, not many units ever will be. We're getting really good at getting them big uns.
If you know 21 well, that might be a good option. 44 could be good too.
19 points is a lot and you have a lot of options. If you have the time to scout, an early rifle could be way to go.
I don't know what I'll do with my points either. I'm thinking I'll do the early rifle somewhere and put in 15-20 scouting and see how that plays out.

I only have a few points right now, but 2nd season is not looking too bad depending on the Area and possibility of weather. I talked to a few people during 3rd season last year that hunted 2nd season where those big snows hit in October, and when it cleared the deer where everywhere for a few of those days in 2nd season. A later 2nd wouldn't be a bad choice if you know a good travel route.

No unit is what is was, and unless huge changes are made, not many units ever will be. We're getting really good at getting them big uns.
If you know 21 well, that might be a good option. 44 could be good too.
19 points is a lot and you have a lot of options. If you have the time to scout, an early rifle could be way to go.
I don't know what I'll do with my points either. I'm thinking I'll do the early rifle somewhere and put in 15-20 scouting and see how that plays out.
Nice... i wish i was littttle bit closer id be there every year!! but before i cash in i will definitely be there year before and early year before the hunt to scout as much as possible.

I only have a few points right now, but 2nd season is not looking too bad depending on the Area and possibility of weather. I talked to a few people during 3rd season last year that hunted 2nd season where those big snows hit in October, and when it cleared the deer where everywhere for a few of those days in 2nd season. A later 2nd wouldn't be a bad choice if you know a good travel route.
i agree, my friend and i were thinking about it and 3rd season or even second for him might be just as good as 4th since dates will be back a bit.

I had a 22 tag last year. we hunted hard and ended up killing 27" medium forked four point with no brows. it was a really tough hunt. Most people I talked to said the same thing. I killed the second to last day. He was by far the best buck I saw. I had my wife and two little girls with me that day and that part was awesome.

Nothing is 19 points good at this point.. we could spin in circles for weeks trying to decide or justify what’s the best option with a boat load of points. If you know 21 I’d go hunt it. 22 has fallen flat on its face and 44 has great genetics but can be a damn tough hunt on most years if the weather gods don’t help you out.

i agree, my friend and i were thinking about it and 3rd season or even second for him might be just as good as 4th since dates will be back a bit.
There’s plenty of third seasons that have sucked because of warm weather and they were later than second season is going to be on most years

I have spent ever fall in 22 since 1992. Not one year has went by that I have not spent 20-30 days in the unit from 2nd season to December. Last year 22 was the worst I have ever seen it in terms of over all deer numbers and especially mature bucks. It was worse last year than it was in 8/9 and 9/10 after the bad winter kill and CPW not cutting tags.

I can easily say the entire NW corner is worse off then I have ever seen it. 11, 21, 211, 3, 4, 5, 2, 201 etc. The only surprising unit last fall was 10, but even it was not stellar just better than it has been.

It will get worse, way worse given the new season structure and the goal of killing all the bucks in the NW to combat CWD.

I had a 4th season 22 tag along with my wife. We hunted as hard as I have ever hunted and never once saw a buck that got even my wife somewhat excited during the hunt. My Daughter did kill a cow elk and she damn near killed a 340" bull... But not one mature deer was seen. The last day of the season there were at least 6 tags unfilled and the only buck I know was killed was a 160ish buck we passed on day 1.

It is really sad what is happening and unfortunately for at least the next decade it will be as bad if not worse...

1-3 pts tag that has way better potential for a 170 inch buck where 19 pts in NW Colorado might get ya a 160" deer. Sucky trade off but that's the ugly truth to this very real very crappy situation. I don't like it either.

1-3 pts tag that has way better potential for a 170 inch buck where 19 pts in NW Colorado might get ya a 160" deer. Sucky trade off but that's the ugly truth to this very real very crappy situation. I don't like it either.
There’s truth to that and the plains might be the only option for quality mule deer in the years to come for the fact that it can be “privately” managed. However when you have 19 points invested you have to take a shot at something on the western half. And hunt the plains afterwards if outfitted hunts are in your financial means. Knocking on doors doesn’t work like it used to out there these days with how much ground has been leased up by outfitters.

i agree man,Id feel better if i had 8 points or so haha. but hey thats just the odds we go against with mother nature. just hurts a bit more with 19 if i end up with tag soup ?

I had a 22 tag last year. we hunted hard and ended up killing 27" medium forked four point with no brows. it was a really tough hunt. Most people I talked to said the same thing. I killed the second to last day. He was by far the best buck I saw. I had my wife and two little girls with me that day and that part was awesome.
what season were you hunting?

There’s truth to that and the plains might be the only option for quality mule deer in the years to come for the fact that it can be “privately” managed.
For some reason, this seems to be a difficult concept to grasp. I wonder if the CPW acknowledges it in their management strategy? I imagine it actually works against public land numbers because the success of populations on private is extended across public where there are far fewer critters. Harvest data needs to be more specific. Etc etc etc....

haha no, but early 2000s. with my dad and his friends. we saw more grouse than deer. lately ive heard that 22 has gotten better. to get it now its almost max i believe for later season. so something changed

I don’t know where you get your information on 22 but last season may have been the worst deer hunting there in 20-30 years! If you don’t want to take my word for it I’ll give you the game wardens phone number and you can ask him. He told me it was the worst deer hunting he’s seen since he’s been working the unit! I know of 4 of the 4th season buck tags last year, one was low 180’s and the other 3 were 160-170’s bucks and those were the cream of the crop. I know of 3 bucks that were 180+ in all seasons combined! That is terrible for this unit! By all means give it a whirl, maybe you know something the rest of us don’t!

I don’t know where you get your information on 22 but last season may have been the worst deer hunting there in 20-30 years! If you don’t want to take my word for it I’ll give you the game wardens phone number and you can ask him. He told me it was the worst deer hunting he’s seen since he’s been working the unit! I know of 4 of the 4th season buck tags last year, one was low 180’s and the other 3 were 160-170’s bucks and those were the cream of the crop. I know of 3 bucks that were 180+ in all seasons combined! That is terrible for this unit! By all means give it a whirl, maybe you know something the rest of us don’t!
im not arguing that it wasnt horrible last year. i never said i was going to hunt it either. was curious about the things ive heard.

Three 180+ inch bucks that one guy knows of and there must be more. Probably some 190 and 200 also.
Unit 22 could be the best Big Buck unit in Colorado now. Sounds like a great place to burn those points this year.

Three 180+ inch bucks that one guy knows of and there must be more. Probably some 190 and 200 also.
Unit 22 could be the best Big Buck unit in Colorado now. Sounds like a great place to burn those points this year.
Haha NO!!
Talk about reading that info the wrong way! I live here, and my office for work is dead center of the unit. It’s not like I’m one guy from California that heard about 3 deer. But please send people here to burn those points! It does two things, 1. Gets them out of the point pool. And 2. We love the hunters leaving their money in town! 22 is terrible right now!

I rarely post on here, but want to share our 3rd season experience in 22 from 2019 season. Had my wife use 12 years worth of points and really put our time into the hunt prior and during. Would not hunt it even with 3 points and talked to many people during the hunt including the Game warden we ran into on the 21 border and everyone was struggling. Hunted In all parts of the unit and deer were scarce especially bucks. Glad we both dumped our points over the last 2 years. Just my experience

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom