Season Over-Be careful out

BeanMan

Long Time Member
I ended my elk season early on the ride out tonight. I was nearly home on my ATV when I hit a washout that wasn?t there earlier, I went end over end, it's a non maintained county road near my home that I've traveled hundreds of times. The result is a fractured sternum, it hurt like hell when I rolled my ATV right side up to get home.

Hasbean

Dang Bean, that is ruff. Things happen quickly and that we do not see coming at times. Hope you recover quickly and can get back out on the mountain soon.

Similar thing happened to my brother a few weeks back. He wasn't wearing a helmet and got lucky. For all of you out there that ride ATVs/UTVs - wear a helmet!

I did have a helmet on with night riding lights, I'm glad I did because it broke the mount for the lights and it has a dent in the top of it that would have been a dent in my head.

>Similar thing happened to my brother
>a few weeks back.
>He wasn't wearing a helmet
>and got lucky. For
>all of you out there
>that ride ATVs/UTVs - wear
>a helmet!

Hasbean

Man, that sucks. Probably only hurts when you move. Or breathe.

When I lived in the Grand Valley I was a riding instructor for ATV Safety Institute. My Ridercourses were on the north boundary of the GJ airport, the start of JQS road north of Rifle, and occasionally the fairgrounds @ Craig.

To the point: They do a lot of work and look like fun, but quads can cripple or kill you. The war stories from survivors and friends during classes were hair-raising.

I'm glad you will recover. We need you here. Helmet and eye protection, indeed.

Elkduds,

My crash was on the unmaintained portion of 39 road on the east side of Horse Mtn, East Orchard Mesa. The thing I think about is that coming down from where I was hunting is a rocky technical trail that I told myself to be very careful on. Where I got hurt was close to home on a road I have driven hundreds of times. I was going too fast certain that I knew the road well enough. My guard was also down for the same reason and I was tired and thinking of the dinner that my Wife no doubt had on the stove.

I should have been riding slower, I should have treated the whole ride like something could go wrong, I should have thought about the rains storms that hit this area while I was sailing and eroded the road. Lots of things I could have and should have done. This is the second time I have broken bones on Horse Mtn, the first was on my mtn bike. I'm getting too old for these kinds of things to happen.

I am very glad I had a decent helmet on, I don't always ride with one. i probably chose to use the helmet because my 2300 lumen light set was mounted on it and it was warmer, not for safety reasons. I will wear it in the future.

Hasbean

Sorry to hear that Hasbean that had to hurt I broke mine Abalone diving a few years ago. Fell on a slippery rock and it took some time to heal. Hell of a way to end the season

Sorry to hear that BeanMan. I read your post and get a lot of info from them. Hopefully you will heal. It will take time.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom