Second Drawing

callsalot

I applied for a deer tag today in the second drawing. It seemed like it went through but it didn't ask me for any payment nor did I get a email confirmation. This is the first time applied for a tag in the second drawing, is this normal or did my application just not go through?? Thanks.

Go look at your account on the CPW site and look at your "orders". If you see it there, and your card is good, you have no issues. Good luck! Know that priority goes to youth in the secondary draw, if there's only a handful of tags in the code you applied for, I'd suggest a second, third, and fourth choice!

P.S. Stop calling so much!

Go look at your account on the CPW site and look at your "orders". If you see it there, and your card is good, you have no issues. Good luck! Know that priority goes to youth in the secondary draw, if there's only a handful of tags in the code you applied for, I'd suggest a second, third, and fourth choice!

P.S. Stop calling so much!
Thanks for the info!! Can't help myself. I always say if it ain't broke don't fix it!! Good luck this year to you to.

look at it like a donation to CPW. Most of the coveted tags will go to youth who have first dibs on all second draw tags. I applied before I found that out. :unsure:

Seems like a lot of tags for the second drawing. I am going to apply for Deer and Elk. I am trying to work around the youth with my applications but who knows. I would like to draw deer and elk same unit and same season. I've been working on it for 4 days now studying the statistics for the units. I'm a non resident but my chances are as good as anyone else. Good Luck Everyone.

Seems like a lot of tags for the second drawing. I am going to apply for Deer and Elk. I am trying to work around the youth with my applications but who knows. I would like to draw deer and elk same unit and same season. I've been working on it for 4 days now studying the statistics for the units. I'm a non resident but my chances are as good as anyone else. Good Luck Everyone.

They included the tags that went unpaid for this year.

Thanks for all the replies. I knew about the youth but this makes it sink in and may alter what I apply for. Good luck everyone.

Anyone know when they post the results for the 2nd draw? I looked and can't find the date.

Flip your reg book over.

Screenshot_20210221-101736_Drive.jpg

Nah- I'll just pass thru MM land once in a while and ask if I have trouble finding specific info. Dudes like Marley tend to help out...

Last edited:
Be interesting if any adults get a tag. I put both my youth in and assume everyone else did also. If they consider youth 2-4 choices before adult- I read the regs that all youth choices will be considered before adult - I doubt an adult will draw a tag. I know we started with a hard to draw tag and 4th choice was a less sought after tag.

Goforobroke,
I think you're right, at least that's the way it appears to be written. By the time they go through all 4 choices for youths I doubt there will be many left to be drawn by adults. Still got my fingers crossed hoping to draw a 33 second season, but I think the odds will be slim.

Does Colorado post the draw odds/statistics for the 2nd drawing?

It would be interesting to see how many people apply in the 2nd drawing vs the vs draw…
I was wondering the same thing. This is the first year they’ve ever done it in this format. Its gonna be interesting. I hope they do..?

Nothing posted yet - should be today... I am 0 for 24 in drawings I have entered just for myself this year. 4 of those draws I put in with more points than it took to draw the tag last year, and bust on all of them. I am starting to drop the expensive low odds one like Idaho and sheep/moose in Wyoming. The great tag is no longer as fun as a general tag where I can hunt with family. Hopefully one of my kids picks up a fun hunt here.

Orion, I just want to say that I'm sorry for whatever happened to you in the past that makes you treat people the way you do today. It must have been bad, and I'm pulling for you every day. :)

Nothing has happened, but don't call someone out unless you know for sure. It's super frustrating for people to post things that aren't truthful. My bad if it was taken the wrong way.

Now that the correct info is out: that youth get 100% preference, I suspect that applications for the second drawing will drop quite a bit next year. Yes, it’s only a couple of bucks, but sounds like when there are just a few tags, non youth applicants never make it into the drawing.

So if that is OK with the CPW, power to them, but if it is a money maker, then they are going to see a downturn in money received

Does anyone know if they post the stats for the 2nd draw? I did not draw and just curious to see if most tags went to youth or ?

I think it is good that youth get 1st shot but I don't think it's fine that DOW takes in a lot of money on applications for drawings where most tags won't be available by the time the adult drawing is held. It's not honest dealing. They should separate the two and have a 3rd chance (LOL) after posting the list of leftovers that are still leftover so we don't have to say... "I would have drawn a tag if it wasn't for those meddling kids!".

And since I just now see that my tag is "not awarded" and I have been kicking myself for even trying after realizing the structure of the draw, I think this will be the first and last time I will bother with this new way of running the second draw. I'll be 9 bucks richer in 2022!! woohoo! And putting it on an Idaho supertag!

Last edited:
0 for 3 for me. Buddies kid drew an either sex first rifle tag. There was usually 50- 100 of the deer tag I applied for at leftover sale day, 60 odd last year. This year there will likely be 0.

emails are out. Son drew a unit 40 3rd season!!!! - He can no longer complain about not being lucky in the draws!!! I still complain, but I'd rather he draw them me. Never been on the unit. I know a fair bit of private. Any pointers would be appreciated. Please PM me. The good news is we will spend 3 days hunting together making memories.

I agree, it would be good to draw all the youths first choice and then do the adults, but this year’s arrangement left the adults with almost no chance of drawing a tag. If they go this route next year I’ll be passing on it.

Nephew drew a good deer tag and an elk tag, which is what we were hoping for. I struck out on a deer tag, but kind of knew that would be the results! I had to try, that CPW system might have glitched and awarded me a tag.

One of my youth daughters drew her second choice my other daughter got skunked a second time. At least my daughter who is hunting for her first time drew. Any help with second season unit 33 would be appreciated. Send me a DM. Thank you

we struck out as well, hopefully some of the kids got some decent tags. My son wasn’t lucky so I know some were.
A 9 dollar application fee is cheap in this sport, I’d need to find a new hobby if that was a breaking point for me

My daughter drew a solid tag, so thanks again CO. I doubt she will kill one bigger than the last one she brought home from CO, but we will have fun trying,

I don't agree with giving youth preference for the un paid for and turn back tags. I'm fine with them getting first Crack at true leftovers but those other tags shouldn't strictly go to them.

Really is no reason to put in for the leftover draw the way it is currently ran if your an adult.

we struck out as well, hopefully some of the kids got some decent tags. My son wasn’t lucky so I know some were.
A 9 dollar application fee is cheap in this sport, I’d need to find a new hobby if that was a breaking point for me
Not a financial breaking point but simply that based on the low number of tags in any one unit, particularly any “quality” tags with one or two licences available, there won’t be any licences available to you even before they get to your draw. Go ahead and send in your donation, eyes wide open, nobody on this particular forum is likely starving over 9 bucks. But this is probably one of those situations where you really don’t even have a non-zero chance. So whatbwould be the point? I will be interested to see if this theory is accurate if DOW posts the draw statistics.

My son drew his 2nd choice 301 archery deer tag, so this will makes a nice addition to his unit 14 archery elk tag. We’ll be spending his 18th birthday in the mountains come September!

Unsuccessful Deer and Elk. Now waiting on Left over tags and if that don't happen I will buy a non resident over the counter Bull Elk tag. Expensive but I want to hunt. Congrats to the all the Kids that got a Tag!

I think it’s kinda cool that the kids get first dibs on leftovers. The current point system and point creep pretty much prevents these kids from ever having a realistic chance at drawing a premium tag. I’ve got a boat load of points but continue to chase the creep every year. At some point I’ll probably just cash them in on a lesser hunt.

I considered it a donation but wanted to give it a try at only $27. A good one time money maker for CPW! Great opportunity for the kids to draw some tags and go hunting though. Congrats to those that drew!

Horniac

I think it’s kinda cool that the kids get first dibs on leftovers. The current point system and point creep pretty much prevents these kids from ever having a realistic chance at drawing a premium tag.
I agree, and if it were just their first choice, I would support this thing. But they shouldn't have 4 choices before anyone else gets a shot.

Here’s a thought. Now that everybody realizes the youth are going to get most of all the good tags in the second draw. Which I’m happy for the youth I’m sure there’s a lot of excited kids out there right now. But if they keep this format in the future they’re gonna lose a lot of revenue from application fees. That’s because a lot of adults won’t even bother putting in anymore. As a lot have stated already. And they didn’t put up the stats last year for the second draw that I could find. And I doubt they’re gonna do it this year. Probably because they don’t want us to know exactly how bad it really is for the adults. ? so maybe if they lose enough revenue next year from non-applicants maybe they’ll change the format going forward. But who knows?? I do know one thing revenue matters. ?

My bet is not many people who say they won't put in next year actually don't put in. They will be hoping that next year everyone else isn't putting in so their odds are increased of drawing even though that won't happen because everyone's thinking the same thing.

Heck even I keep putting in for Utah elk with a 1 in 248 chance I'll draw.

I got first choice doe and cow tags secondary draw. If you are looking for list A tags in 2nd draw it must be tough!

I have a feeling that most of the people who say they won't put in for the 2nd draw next year will still put in. Much like the leftover melee in August. Every year people spout off they will never participate again- even I have said it before. Yet, every August thousands are glued to their devices trying to get a tag.

My bet is not many people who say they won't put in next year actually don't put in. They will be hoping that next year everyone else isn't putting in so their odds are increased of drawing even though that won't happen because everyone's thinking the same thing.

Heck even I keep putting in for Utah elk with a 1 in 248 chance I'll draw.

This is different though. Doesn’t matter if zero adults put in since no adults will have a chance. Youth get all of them.

I have a feeling that most of the people who say they won't put in for the 2nd draw next year will still put in. Much like the leftover melee in August. Every year people spout off they will never participate again- even I have said it before. Yet, every August thousands are glued to their devices trying to get a tag.
I've gotten a few of those tags, and at least I had a shot at them. This was just throwing money away.

This is different though. Doesn’t matter if zero adults put in since no adults will have a chance. Youth get all of them.
I didn’t bother to apply because I figured there was zero chance of drawing. I’m betting colorado is losing out on a lot of application fees from people like myself.

Now that they have done what they did, there will be some serious squawking if they crab walk. They will be accused of shortchanging the youth’s.

My daughter drew a buck antelope and doe deer , was not awarded elk.

Kudos to the Division on this one. About the only thing they have gotten right in 20 years.

If you want to ***** : do it about the wolves.

It's amazing to see so many grown men whine about getting ripped off for 7 dollars on app fees and acting shocked about youth getting priority. People need to seriously read the regs before they apply if that is how they feel. Should all the youth ***** and whine when they are in school on Wednesdays when the re-issue tags hit the list?

emails are out. Son drew a unit 40 3rd season!!!! - He can no longer complain about not being lucky in the draws!!! I still complain, but I'd rather he draw them me. Never been on the unit. I know a fair bit of private. Any pointers would be appreciated. Please PM me. The good news is we will spend 3 days hunting together making memories.
Pm sent

It's amazing to see so many grown men whine about getting ripped off for 7 dollars on app fees and acting shocked about youth getting priority. People need to seriously read the regs before they apply if that is how they feel. Should all the youth ***** and whine when they are in school on Wednesdays when the re-issue tags hit the list?
Amen Orion!

My son scored a good buck antelope tag, my daughter a late cow tag, and I got a muzzy bear tag.

My son drew a buck antelope and a 2nd season bull elk tag In the second draw.

This gives us collectively, 3 bulls, 2 cows, 1 buck, 2 does, 1 buck antelope, 2 antelope does, my bear tag and I drew a NM javelina tag good for Feb ‘22 and an April ‘22 Oklahoma limited turkey tag between the two of us. Not sure we can get it all in, and I haven’t included a week in Oklahoma chasing white tails.

Fall plans are officially booked!

a common theme on this thread......must be a kid to draw.

no luck for me on an elk tag. I'm guessing if they post the draw statistics, adult applications will decrease exponentially. congrats to all the tag winners.

I don't care about the app fee, I figured I wouldn't have much of a shot at the tag I put in for, but I at least want a shot at the tags. Like I said give them all the true leftover tags they want I couldn't care less about those.

But the unpaid for tags and turn back tags should be available for everyone to apply for and have opportunity to draw.

I get it all of you with crotch goblins love that your little angles got those tags, congrats to them, hopefully they do well.

As far as the reissue list goes, at least they have the same opportunity as everyone else.

Yes it did some people just can't read. It also had unpaid for tags and 100% youth preference

The unpaid tags didn't make the list last year because the payment deadline for first draw was after the application period for second draw began. It was youth preference last year but was it exhausting all youth choices per app prior to an adult app being considered? I hadn't read that until this year. If it was, I stand corrected.

Yes it did some people just can't read. It also had unpaid for tags and 100% youth preference
90% sure it did not have unpaid for tags last year. I could be wrong, but pretty darn sure this was the first year for that. Youth should definitely get preference on the true leftovers and it is debatable if they should get preference on unpaid for tags, both sides (if there are even sides here) have a leg to stand on on that one.

I know quite a few people that did read the rules and still put in, just in case enough youth didn't apply. They all donated $9 and they all knew they were going to donate it. The question is should unpaid tags go on this list or not? I am fine either way, but that should be the debate.

I know quite a few people that did read the rules and still put in, just in case enough youth didn't apply. They all donated $9 and they all knew they were going to donate it. The question is should unpaid tags go on this list or not? I am fine either way, but that should be the debate.
I didn’t look at all the tags. But I know the ones that I did look at were the not paid for tags. And everyone of them went to youth. So there’s fuel for the fire right there. ? And as for me I drew my tag on the primary draw so I didn’t have to go through the second draw. So I’m just a casual observer but congratulations to the youth and everybody else that drew..

good point as to where the unpaid tags should go and spot on.

When the list came out for the second draw, there were 62 cow elk tags available for the unit I was after. I put in for this unit as a second choice during the regular draw. I'm assuming all 62 tags were unpaid since I didn't draw on the first go-round. The list was then revised before the june 30 deadline and only included 11 available tags. so out of the 62, again, I'm assuming 51 people paid up. I knew my chances were slim with only 11 tags but I've spent 9 dollars before on much worse (like crappy crafts beers) so I wasn't crying over it. Either way, there needs to be a little more clarification on this since chances of drawing are zero if more kids are applying. I don't mind playing the odds but am not too thrilled for a zero chance draw. Probably won't apply again until this changes. I'm sure I'm not alone.

B

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom