Seek Outside, and wind concerns.

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
I have an 8 man seek outside teepee that I've used on a few hunts. I have usually loved it. However, this last spring I had my seek outside 8-man teepee, and my wife and I were in the back country on a bear hunt. The wind was horrible. One night we were up most of the night. The tent was about to come out of the ground and blow over. She held the center Pole while I held the edges of the tent down. The next day I had it guyd out to boulders, trees, stumps anything I could find. It held up the next night but I wouldn't say it was exactly sturdy. Still made for an uneasy night of sleep with the rain coming down and wind blowing pretty hard. I have ordered two sets of the twisted stakes. I will for sure guy it out before I think any wind will be coming. I love the stove. However, it makes me wonder if I even want to deal with it this spring on our bear hunts. I have a Hilleberg, and why you can't stand up in it or use a stove there is zero worries with the wind. Have you guys had trouble with seek outside teepees in the wind? Has anyone tried the twisted stakes? Do they make that much of a difference?

Wind is Gonna Be a Factor!

Them Twist Stakes Might Help a Little But They Won't Stand a Chance Against a Good Wind!

I Stayed in a TeePee Once!

No Wind Though!:D

The Owner Might CHIME In But This Is The TeePee I Stayed In!

tee-pee 008.jpg

I don’t think any of those backpacking floor less shelters do well in wind. I have the twisted stakes. They are better than the straight ones but not enough to make a big difference in the wind.

Inside the teepee elkassassin stayed in, there is usually a rope that is hangs down from where all the poles come together at the top. That rope is wrapped around two stakes that cross (the stakes are pounded into the ground) and tied down, on the side of the teepee side the wind is coming from. It’s cinched down as tight as you can pull it. It holds the teepee down when the wind gets heavy. Works well and can be easily moved if the wind changes direction. Same concept could be used on modern center pole, floorless tents. I guess, if I was desperate, in a high wind, in a modern center pole, I’d throw a rope around the center pole and pound two stakes through the floor and tie it down, the same way they do it in a Native American style teepee.

For what that might be worth.

As long as they are staked down well, connection to earth is the deciding factor to all these teepee tents.
I agree. Further, if you are concerned over wind blowing your stakes out. Use that Native teepee concept on your ground stakes. Two crossed stakes, attached to each grommet will hold better than almost anything else you could do. The cross stakes create an amazing resistant to being pulled out of the ground. Far more difficult to pull those out vs a single stake. If that makes sense.

I agree. Further, if you are concerned over wind blowing your stakes out. Use that Native teepee concept on your ground stakes. Two crossed stakes, attached to each grommet will hold better than almost anything else you could do. The cross stakes create an amazing resistant to being pulled out of the ground. Far more difficult to pull those out vs a single stake. If that makes sense.
So you're saying just put two in each grommet and cross them when you pound them into the ground?

So you're saying just put two in each grommet and cross them when you pound them into the ground?
Yep, pound the two cross stakes into the ground, as close to the grommet as you can. Tie a 18” rope/heavy cord to the grommet, then make four or five warps around the cross stakes and tie it off. I think if you did it at every second or even third grommet, that would be sufficient. If it was in pure sand, I’d do more and use longer stakes. If you use figure eights around the two stakes, (like do on a boat dock tie down) that makes the stakes push against each other and resist coming out better.

Here’s and example of the cross stakes:
X Just razz’en ya schoolhouse.

Try it in you own lawn once. Pound two stakes in, wrap any rope around it and try to pull it out, vs a single stake, and see what I mean about resistance. ?

Yep, pound the two cross stakes into the ground, as close to the grommet as you can. Tie a 18” rope/heavy cord to the grommet, then make four or five warps around the cross stakes and tie it off. I think if you did it at every second or even third grommet, that would be sufficient. If it was in pure sand, I’d do more and use longer stakes. If you use figure eights around the two stakes, (like do on a boat dock tie down) that makes the stakes push against each other and resist coming out better.

Here’s and example of the cross stakes:
X Just razz’en ya schoolhouse.

Try it in you own lawn once. Pound two stakes in, wrap any rope around it and try to pull it out, vs a single stake, and see what I mean about resistance. ?
Thanks Lumpy!

I’ve had my 8 man Kifaru Teepee in some hellacious storms with gusty winds up to 60 MPH in Idaho and Wyoming and never had a problem. Had a couple of stakes come loose here and there when the wind whipped in different directions but just redrove them home at a different angle. They say the wind doesn‘t see the teepees due to their shape ?... Horniac
9493EBB2-EBE1-447F-839B-2D7852426EDF.jpeg

BDC3B51F-48CB-44EA-87FF-97B560CEEBDB.jpeg

71CA63AD-7208-40B2-B0E9-6749E23EA2C6.jpeg

66F3CA5D-FB0B-43AF-97AB-477D5BEA0D48.jpeg

had my 4 man in a lot of high winds. never had any trouble with the tepee. ill admit laying there watching the thing get the hell beat out of it can be concerning at times but with what i've now seen them go through over several years i just roll over and go to sleep

the twisted stakes do hold better. Also make sure you are staking the inside loops rater than the outside, any air that can get under the fabric is what will pump out stakes. I put rocks or logs around the edges if really starts to howl (60 plus mph gusts). Bring earplugs they really help get a good nights sleep in nasty wind. Also somebody should design a titanium stove that has a steel slide and steel dampner. I do like seeks stove but the dampner and slide systems suck, mainly because they are ultralight titanium.

Nothing worse than high winds on a hunt. Never used a teepee. But have been on a few tent hunts where the wind was so bad I feared the trees around me were going to topple and smash me in middle of night. Longest nights of my hunting career were dealing with high winds. Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom