Seeking info for bear hunt in Bosque Del Oso

jaeger63

I'm Tony Cleveland from Colorado Springs. I applied this year for a bear tag in the Bosque Del Oso but did not initially draw. I was just informed yesterday via email that someone who did draw turned in their tag. I was next in line and I now have the tag. So I'm two weeks out from my hunt starting and Ive never been to the Bosque. I'd appreciate any info that anyone is willing to share that has hunted in the Bosque. Since this is a 20 point tag it is a once and life time hunt for me and will be for most people due to point creep. An immediate question that comes to mind. Since its a walk in area do most people elect to backpack/spike camp instead of walking in and out everyday. Are there any areas that hold more bears than others such as where the most scrub oaks are concentrated? Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help.

Hey my guy, I haven’t hunted it but spent 3 months out there working on the gas wells and this was 16 years ago. I saw bear every day. Look for water holes and maybe chat with the pumpers that are driving around and ask where they’ve seen bear. Our company had built ponds and the bear loved swimming in them. Also, you can call Bob Holder with CPW. I think I still have his number somewhere. He should be able to help too.

I would take it, my friends son has a buck tag and he just talked to the biologist/ warden and lots of acorns this year due to the moisture.

Whatever you do Jaeger, consider keeping us posted on your hunt.. I, for one, am interested in how this goes for you.

I did kill a bear on the 6th day of hunting with barely any bears seen up until then. He was a respectable 250 boar with a decent noggin. Id consider him a medium sized bear. Just after I shot him we saw a legit 300 pounder very close to where I just had shot mine. It was very dismal hunting until the last day. I would highly recommend not burning the amount of points required for a rifle tag in that unit. I think there are better units that require way less points. That being said, if you hit the second season instead of the 1st one and it was cooler and some of the leaves had started to drop from all the scrub oak that could be a game changer. It's very tough spotting bears with as much scrub oak cover as they have. Just my two cents after 6 days of burning a lot of boot leather

Nice Jaeger, glad you filled! As far as burning boot leather, did you walk gas roads or were you going cross country?? Also did you motel it somewhere or can near the Oso?? Black bear or color phase? Just curious, bears fascinate be…congrats again, glad you punched your tag. No w you get to enjoy sausage all winter?

I mostly hunted the road system but did some cross country walking. I killed a chocolate but we did see a few black ones the last couple of days.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom