Selling non-resident Wyoming Party Elk Hunt, 14 point share

SpaceXOddity

So, I just purchased my 14th nonresident Wyoming Elk preference point. Chances are, I'll never get to use them.

Would there be any interest in purchasing a party hunt to average up your points with mine?

To be absolutely clear, I do not plan on hunting. My position would be forfeighted and I would receive compensation in return for averaging up your points with a party application. So if you have zero points, you would average up to 7, and go on a solo hunt while I stay home with a little more money and 14 less points. My draw is wasted because it cannot be transferred, but I would be paid a premium, because best case scenario a person gains 7 years of points.

Thoughts?

Good on you.
You paid hard earned money for them.

Your free to dispose of them any way you see fit.

I think you should be able to auction them off.

Was this an investment or a dream to hunt? Glad you’re trying to make money on a natural resource. Like stated above you’ll have offers but get off the couch and hunt.
Plot twist, I have a couch in my ground blind and donate extra $$ with each point I buy....... Pretty generous for it not even being my state!

Proof attached.

Screenshot_20210921-062916_Chrome.jpg

Cold call some elk outfitters in Wyoming as they may have clients that are interested. No idea why this would be illegal and I know of someone who did this in another state and traded them for a free guided hunt with an outfitter in an easier to draw unit.

I am fine with trading/selling points. The biggest issue I see is the cost of your tag. That will need to be covered by whomever takes your offer so they have a $692 or $1384 nut to crack before anything goes in your pocket. Might work good for a small group that wants a general tag with no points. Then your tag fee is divided between a few guys. I don't think there is a hunt at 7 points that would be worth the money that would be a fair offer to you. I wish you luck. I have the same points so getting those points out of my pool helps.

If I do move to Wyoming. I will have enough points to draw both sheep and moose.
I can sell my antelope, deer and elk points. Donate the tags and use the tax write off. Might be the smartest thing if Wyoming cuts nonresident tags and doubles prices.

I wouldn’t be surprised if others are thinking about doing the same thing as you are. ;) Over the course of 13+ years, things change. Every Hunter goes through phases and some get to the point where a low odds OTC hunt is just as exciting as a decent draw tag...or a “low end” draw tag.

I spoke with three individuals at WYFG today and this is apparently perfectly legal (and common). The minority point holder can compensate the major point holder however they wish - WYFG doesn't care under the current regulation.

I spoke with three individuals at WYFG today and this is apparently perfectly legal (and common). The minority point holder can compensate the major point holder however they wish - WYFG doesn't care under the current regulation.
Yeah. It really should not matter. Now if they were guiding outfitting illegally it would be different. But the rules allow point sharing free and clear. I really do not have any issue at all. In this case if the OP is buying points, buying a license and never even going to hunt? That means the states has raised thousands without even impacting the resource.

No one said it was illegal. And you took 3 WYGFD employees time to figure this out? THAT should be illegal…

So, I just purchased my 14th nonresident Wyoming Elk preference point. Chances are, I'll never get to use them.

Would there be any interest in purchasing a party hunt to average up your points with mine?

To be absolutely clear, I do not plan on hunting. My position would be forfeighted and I would receive compensation in return for averaging up your points with a party application. So if you have zero points, you would average up to 7, and go on a solo hunt while I stay home with a little more money and 14 less points. My draw is wasted because it cannot be transferred, but I would be paid a premium, because best case scenario a person gains 7 years of points.

Thoughts?
Update: I've made a deal with a large outfitter. I appreciate everyone's interest, but I decided an outfitter would provide me with their expertise in navigating the draw process as well as legitimacy in the deal itself. They are compensating me for my participation in a party draw, and I will be donating my tag to disabled/wounded veterans so that one of them can hunt in my place.

Update: I've made a deal with a large outfitter. I appreciate everyone's interest, but I decided an outfitter would provide me with their expertise in navigating the draw process as well as legitimacy in the deal itself. They are compensating me for my participation in a party draw, and I will be donating my tag to disabled/wounded veterans so that one of them can hunt in my place.
Now that is absolutely precious ?
?????? ??

I have paid for a business partners elk points for years he has max WY elk points. He has changed his mind and has no intentions of ever elk hunting. I drew general this year and want to go to the same spot again next year. Ignoring the $50/year point cost I can draw a regular (cheaper) NR elk tag next year. I will eat his tag my tag fee will be about the same (but I loose $50/year points). Wrong? I do not think so.

I have paid for a business partners elk points for years he has max WY elk points. He has changed his mind and has no intentions of ever elk hunting. I drew general this year and want to go to the same spot again next year. Ignoring the $50/year point cost I can draw a regular (cheaper) NR elk tag next year. I will eat his tag my tag fee will be about the same (but I loose $50/year points). Wrong? I do not think so.
Just admit you likely always knew he wasn't going to go. Your deal, totally legal, but gaming the system. I doubt G&F cares, they get the revenue.

Were you successful this year?

No I like this guy a lot and bought him points because he liked the outdoors and could go on a once in a lifetime elk hunt with me, I also got him antelope points I never intend to use. I also gave him a plb. I was shocked when he basically told me his wife was now against hunting. He hunted for 20 years. Yes I was successful.

Nice! I did not know that was possible.

Glad it worked out. Who was the outfitter? I have looked into getting an outfitted hunt but when I am doing my research on outfitters I am always having to guess where they are hunting at they dont say what areas to put in for on their websites.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom