Selway unit B tag

eppicredneck

Well ladies and gentlemen,
I haven't been on this forum in over 8 years, man it has been a long time, I even have a new name, mostly because I have no idea what my old name was LOL. But... I am back again! It has been a struggle holding things together, my depression took me down a long and dark road, and things got pretty ugly, but now I am able to hunt again! I got a new fancy hip from a fantastic surgeon and I am ready to go. Thanks to my military disability I got me a tag in the beautiful state of Idaho, and I decided to test myself in a unit I hear an awful lot of crying about... (makes ghost sounds)
the selway!

So, if you have anything NICE to say about it... Please say it here.
I am limited to about 3 mile hike in from my main camp. From there I can hike about 2 miles of hunting, so that gives me 5 miles to hike the meat out (at a max). It is going to be pretty rough terrain, i understand this. I have a friend coming with me to help hump the meat out, he is able bodied and also military. I can probably add another mile or so, but lets be honest... im getting older.
I have a deer tag (so I will shoot a mule deer) as well as a Bear tag, I will only shoot one with a nice coat. I am not looking for a monster bull, just something with antlers and meat. This will be my first antlered bull.

Any ideas on where to start? I know that Paradise camp is where the outfitters put in, so probably pretty busy there, maybe i should start a little lower? Indian? should i swing further towards Montana?

Thanks everyone! I hope you all have the best luck this year!!!

Hold my beer and watch this #####...

If you're packing out 5+ miles in the Selway, you should be doing full triathlons. Good luck and hope you run into a pocket of animals. Most guys I talk to see nothing living in a week of hunting, no joke.

Everyone loves the rut but I'd consider late season though access becomes a real puzzle.

You need to be in top physical shape if you are thinking about killing an elk 5 miles from motorized access. I've done a couple marathons in the last couple years, I'm still in my 30's and consider myself in good physical shape. I packed an elk out 3 miles as the crow flies a couple years ago and I wouldn't even consider attempting 5 miles in the Selway without horses. Without a heavy load of meat, I can cover only about 1 mile on the map an hour in mountain country. Put 80 pounds of meat in my pack and I would be happy if I could average 1/2 miles per hour on the 4 trips it would take me to get an elk out. People that have never packed an elk more than a mile in the mountains do not understand how physically challenging it is.

Five miles without a trail would take me about 5 hours. You can cover miles easier on a well used horse trail but 5 miles in on a good horse trail isn't going to get you away from the hunting pressure.

If you are in good enough physical shape to do full Ironman triathlons in under 17 hours you could physically consider 5 miles but if the weather is warm, meat might spoil because there is no way a single guy can pack out an elk 5 miles in one day. A guy in great physical shape could pull it off in 2 days but that would be brutal.

There is a reason that on average only 15% of the hunters tag an elk in the Selway. The quota for residents and nonresident A & B tags has not sold out. I've never hunted it myself but know several people who have hunted it once and never went back. Lack of repeat customers is a reason the tags don't sell out right away. I'm guessing a majority of the 15% that are successful every year are experienced elk hunters and have hunted the unit before or have hired an outfitter. The Selway elk are hunted with OTC rifle tags every year from September through November. It will be challenging to find elk any on this hunt. Odds are this is going to be more of a hiking trip that you get to pack your rifle around the mountains. It is beautiful country and you will have an elk tag in your pocket and you might get lucky if you put some hard work and time in. You can still have an enjoyable hunt but you need to set realistic expectations.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-19 AT 07:36AM (MST)[p]What Brian said above.

When guys say 5 miles, that usually means it was actually 2.5 miles. Really sit down and trace your route with the ruler feature on google earth, when you get back from a packout.

I got in a spout on FB with Ryan Hatfield once over this. He had this long caption about doing a 6.5 mile solo packout with a 160lb pack in an evening. Trying to fool his groupies.

I said, ?Really? Because no you f**king didn't.? I know some pretty accomplished hunters that are in their early 30?s and in excellent physical condition that don't pack elk 5 miles.

No reason to hunt elk further than 2-3 miles from the road, unless because you just want to. I try to reserve those distant backpack hunts for mule deer. There are plenty of elk within day hunt range of roads. You?ll be fine.

Correction, maybe not in that zone. I'd consider a front country zone for your first bull, just my 2 cents.

I was thinking in a circle yeah, im not THAT crazy LOL...
a 5 mile circle is yeah 2.5 miles right? or am i still math retarded? 3 miles out is scouting backwards, as a veteran i tend to walk OUT and hunt back, you walk to the highest point in the dark, then hunt back in a sort of circle pattern as the light comes in...Depending on the different patterns of valleys and such.

I have a couple of spots I am looking at that look good and aren't as far from the road as I thought... we will see.
I know the elk and deer are in there, and the 15% is wrong, its 21% but thats ok, I understand the doubters, i have had them my whole life. I have shot cow elk before, and tons of mule deer, but never a bull elk, mostly because shooting a spike is just a pain in the ass, and i never got drawn in WA.
I know how to use the Native tradition of tying two small poles together and haul out a 200lb person so I can haul out that much meat, unless its too damn steep where i shoot it, then im gonna have to work something out...

>but thats ok, I understand
>the doubters, i have had
>them my whole life.

It's not doubters man, it's advice from dudes that have done what your asking how to do, many times.

>I know how to use the
>Native tradition of tying two
>small poles together and haul
>out a 200lb person so
>I can haul out that
>much meat, unless its too
>damn steep where i shoot
>it, then im gonna have
>to work something out...

Your not dragging a bull elk anywhere brother. Quarter and debone.

Tying two poles together and drag it out???
Now that's seriously funny chit right there, I don't care who you are:)
Only reason you'd do that with a person is cause you can't cut him up into itty bitty pieces to carry him out!
Tsnow?s Got it right... listen to him.
I'd recommend hunting with a pack that's able to take out a quarter or more if boned out and everything needed to butcher on the spot, bags, Wyoming saw etc... saves you a trip.
I'm not keen on Euro mounts or anything like that so I always carry my Wyoming saw and cut antlers off the head just skull plate to hold together. The head of a bull elk is heavier than you think.
I'd also look for places where the way out is lower than where you are hunting. Packing 80-90 pound loads up-hill is more work than you can imagine. Once up-hill with say a muley is doable, but to do 3-4 trips no fun at all unless you got help.

I agree with everything said about packing an elk out in Idaho. I ALWAYS de-bone and take loads of meat out. In 2012 I shot a big bull with a bow almost exactly 2 miles as the crow flies from my truck, about 1500 vertical feet above my truck as well. The first night I got one load out to the truck just at dark. Drove to town where my Mother has horses. Had her try and meet me the next day on the main trail which would shave about a mile off the pack out. I hiked back into my backpack tent camp at midnight in the driving rain. Woke up the next morning to a bear eating on my backstrap. Spooked him off vowing to come back someday for revenge. Hiked 2 more loads down to the trail, met my Mother who rode those two loads to my truck. Hiked back up to my campsite, tore it down, loaded up camp, my skull and wet cape of the bull. This was by far my worst load as that skull, antlers, camp, and wet cape weighed a ton. Made it approximately half a mile down the steep hill. Legs gave out, fell backward onto my pack. Now I was like a turtle trying to right itself. Finally squirmed out of the pack and got myself upright without the pack. Cut that darn wet cape off of the skull, put the pack on and hiked it out to the truck just as it was sun had gone down. 30 hours of work, and I can say I slept good that night. Did exactly the same thing the next year, except I euroed the skull right on site.

Dang Outdoordan! Good work!

Elk are a daunting task for sure. I have had my share of really bad packouts, and the key is deboning. I've never added it up, but I bet it saves you 40 to 50 pounds. Basically another trip. The terrain in that area of Idaho is thick and steep. You'll dang near want to leave the horns on the last trip, ripping them vegetation. But I don't want to discourage you! I truly hope you hammer a bull!

LOL I am not sure any of you are doing any math...
When I said drag it on two poles I also said about 200-250 pounds, add that up and I shouldn't have had to tell you i am field dressing, quartering and deboning that #####, im not trying to drag the damn thing out whole, man you guys must deal with a lot of retards or something, either that or you guys are a brick short and i have to literally say exactly word for damn word what i am talking about... really? I figured that would cut the travel back and forth to 2 trips, first trip out with the head, second trip with the majority of meat. (backstraps come out with the head)
Well, ok I guess i will spell it out for you.
First, i am going to wake up. Then i will put my left sock on, and then maybe my right but my nuts might itch so i might scratch them first, i just want to point that out in case any of you bone heads think i forget to stratch my nuts in the morning. After my socks are on, i am going to put on my pants, my shirt and my ball cap. My belt, my side arm, and then my hiking shoes. I will probably eat some scrambled eggs and wonder if any of you guys forget to breathe this morning.... i am not going to continue cause its a waste of my time... anyway, I just found out i can probably exchange the tag for a panhandle and not even worry about it, I am sure the panhandle is probably a shitty hunt in a whole different way, but what else am i gonna do?

The whole thing came down to me buying the wrong tag in the first place because the guy who told me what tag to buy in December was a moron and it was supposed to be further South East which was sold out when we realized it, so I was just going to do the damn hunt because everyone kept saying "you cant hunt there" and i was like "screw you and your sister".

I am in much better shape than in the last few hunts, (thanks new hip) but I also know that the hunting area is tough in the selway, and everyone bitches about it, i will probably still do it just because... and i probably wont even see anything, whatever, and I can be a grumpy ass that makes fun of morons who need things spelled out exactly word for word, deal with it... I hope you all get something big in the dirt, and have to sweat your ass off getting it home... lol a full freezer always feels good, even when it hurts.

Nice attitude. The Selway is going to eat you alive. You don't know steep until you've been there. That carrying elk with poles idea is going to be a total shi* show and you could easily get hurt.

Get a good pack. Not a damn Eberlestock or some $100 piece of crap, one that puts the weight where it should and if you have limited funds, go with a good old Cabelas external frame.

Forget your damn stick idea. Your not hunting in the desert with soft sand, your hunting in the country of deadfall, so you'll just do a million "dead lifts" to the truck.

Next, make sure you have 3-4 days just to pack out your animal. If you have a buddy along, allow for at least 2.

PS These guys responding to you speak the truth from experience. Listen.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-19 AT 10:55AM (MST)[p]I can't speak to the northern portion of the Selway unit.I own some ground west of the Concord airstrip on the southern portion and have spent quite a bit of time on that end. If you have the time, spend a couple of days in Elk City. You can access the southern Selway zone via the Magruder Road or the Orogrande Road. Best of luck!
I also need to add that the advice from the folks above is good. It is easy to get in over your head in this country and end up in trouble . If you are going to hunt the early portion, the meat bees are brutal.The burnt downfall is miserable and a good portion of the trails haven't seen maintenance in years.

Naw im just tossin them some ##### for thinking im green, i appreciate all the info actually. I have a good pack, and like I said, i got a buddy who might come help pack out. I had planned on going in off Magruder Road but staying away from Paradise because that is where the outfitters put in, but as I had never been in the area before (and yeah, everyones mountains are bigger than everyone elses, I hunt the Nile here in central washington we have our own ##### too) I thought i would poke around and see, but its the same pissing contest here as any other forum.

After talking to the guys down in Boise, i am looking at the panhandle so I dont have to work so hard, but from what i gather the hunting sucks because of private lands, I dont think that should be a huge problem with Onx Maps, and I prefer the hiking to the actual shooting, I will get a cow elk here in WA on my master hunt, so i will have meat. I also have a bear tag and deer tag over there. I was going to hunt the rut so i could locate easier knowing they are sparse and going to be kicked around, but who knows, like eveyrone says I probably wont see anything anyway...
So do you guys think I should exchange for the panhandle, or keep with the original plan and have the "fun" of humping the hell out of my boots? lol
My biggest question which i never got too, how the hell do you guys keep your meat cool so it doesn't spoil in September?

>Naw im just tossin them some
>##### for thinking im green,
>i appreciate all the info
>actually. I have a good
>pack, and like I said,
>i got a buddy who
>might come help pack out.
>I had planned on going
>in off Magruder Road but
>staying away from Paradise because
>that is where the outfitters
>put in, but as I
>had never been in the
>area before (and yeah, everyones
>mountains are bigger than everyone
>elses, I hunt the Nile
>here in central washington we
>have our own ##### too)
>I thought i would poke
>around and see, but its
>the same pissing contest here
>as any other forum.
>
>After talking to the guys down
>in Boise, i am looking
>at the panhandle so I
>dont have to work so
>hard, but from what i
>gather the hunting sucks because
>of private lands, I dont
>think that should be a
>huge problem with Onx Maps,
>and I prefer the hiking
>to the actual shooting, I
>will get a cow elk
>here in WA on my
>master hunt, so i will
>have meat. I also have
>a bear tag and deer
>tag over there. I was
>going to hunt the rut
>so i could locate easier
>knowing they are sparse and
>going to be kicked around,
>but who knows, like eveyrone
>says I probably wont see
>anything anyway...
>So do you guys think I
>should exchange for the panhandle,
>or keep with the original
>plan and have the "fun"
>of humping the hell out
>of my boots? lol
>My biggest question which i never
>got too, how the hell
>do you guys keep your
>meat cool so it doesn't
>spoil in September?

Shade,creek bottoms,big coolers and have a meat locker scoped out prior to hunting.

I am always worried the water is going to ruin the meat, lol
I use coolers but not sure how to get ice in that far and keep it for a few days. Maybe ductape the coolers closed?
Thanks!

You can use dry ice over your regular ice to help keep it frozen. This will buy you some time on keeping your ice. I use to work in the woods and would bury my coolers to help keep ice. This was prior to all of the roto-molded coolers, you had to be really creative with the old Coleman's to keep ice!

you gotta find 2 poles and make a drag system and pull that sucka outta there as fast as you can! :)

sorry, couldn't resist!

As in most scenarios, common sense prevails...be mindful of the weather... know what temps are coming sometimes up in the mountains it's not even a problem in Sept. But if you know you have high temps in the forecast and man-power is the only way out you'll first have to limit your hunting range. Just don't do your 3+ mile hunt that will take days to get the animal out.
If you do dump an animal... obviously quarter/debone asap is an absolute must. Breathable game bags in the shade. If water is nearby some folks will pack plastic garbage bags and seal the meat inside and place it in a creek/river to cool... otherwise a shaded draw will be the next coolest option. Then get to work packing...If you have one, keep a big cooler with ice in it at the trail head. That way, you can keep the initial loads cool.

Not sure where in the Panhandle you are talking about... "panhandle" is pretty general, but there's lots of ground where private land shouldn't be an issue.
Really, hunt whatever hell unit you want... I'm not sure it matters, any elk hunt can be hard no matter the terrain. Just depends if YOU want to push it or not.

>Outdooran, that is awesome! lol
>You ever shoot that damned bear???
>

No, he's probably moved on to Picnic baskets. LOL.

Dman ? thank you, finally, I thought I was gonna have to beat some humor out.
I'm thinking if I switch it out I might try up by where Spokane Mountain Park comes across, near Newport... I have an uncle who lives on the pend oreille so I can visit a little and maybe shoot my WA deer the same week.

I'd hunt the panhandle before the Selway any day. I've hunted it a couple times, and it can be a tough, physical hunt as well.
If you heart is set on the Selway, you may want to consider trying to get horses or mules. The advice you've received on it being steep, may be an understatement.

Good luck on your hunt! Thank you for your service and I'm glad to see you getting back in the woods!!

hwy

maybe someone can talk my wife into horses? ???
Well next year is Salmon the best tag or is it hells? Or whatever... so I don't ##### it up again, I'm gonna look at the website myself but I'm getting you guys are pretty savvy (aside from assuming I'm an idiot but hey, there's a lot of them about I don't blame you).
Thanks for the help. I'm probably gonna get panhandle and punt... don't have anything to prove anyway, I'm to old for macho ##### lol.

Just so you know there are a hell of a lot more outfitters than just at Paradise... In fact almost all of that zone has an outfitter for elk in it. it is possible that they could be talked into $$$ packing a bull out for you, but you would want that set up before you pull the trigger, as the price would go up substantially at that point....
there are places along the magruder road that you can prolly have a decent hunt. there are some long ridges that run north south that don't loose massive amounts elevation along the ridge. now they do loose massive amount to the creeks.... where the elk will likely be. you should be able to hear one talking and make your own mind up if you got the stones to go get him.
get a bear tag and you might just run into a big ole muley buck in some of that country.
wolf tags are a real good idea as well.
you most likely will not kill a decent bull, but then again guys do every year in there and it might just as well be you!
good luck.

Eppi, yes, do go to the F&G web site. There really is a lot of information there for you. Including harvest stats for all those Panhandle units.
Not sure that area you are looking at will hold a lot of elk, but if you have fam in the area it might still be worth it.
For next year... Hells is control hunt only... no OTC. Go to the hunt planner on the web site and have a ball planning your own hunt so you don't need to rely on anyone but your self.
Good luck

eppicredneck,

I'm not sure where you found your 21% success number. Last year the rifle hunters had 11.6% success in 16A and 17.5% success in unit 17. Last year there were an 700 hunters in the the Selway units and 108 elk were killed, resulting in 15.4% success rate. Other years are similar.

Here is a link to the data from the F&G website. It is easy to look up the numbers for previous years yourself.
https://idfg.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/stats/?season=general&game=elk&yr=2018

I'm sure you could have an enjoyable hunt in the Panhandle or many of the other areas of Idaho. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have an enjoyable hunt and hope you get a bull.

OMG HERE WE GO AGAIN, another out of state hunter wanting to know where to go hunting and never set foot in the state, where the animals are tied up and picks the most desolated place to go hunting in Idaho and wants to know where to go. WOW, I suggest you save your money, buy beef and purchase a set of horns from e-bay and tell everyone you shot it in Idaho. :)

Hey, that aint a bad idea! LOL....
I have set foot in the state, I just haven't hunted it, bit of a difference, but I feel ya, you have a big old hard on and dont want any of those bad ole out of staters coming in and having any fun, boo hoo. lol
I will let ya all know if I get anything, but I will def take pictures of the area, cause its beautiful and as a photographer, I am pretty excited to shoot some photographs too.

Refer to my earlier post, ignore the self righteous Idaho guys that want to ruin it for you.
Glad you're back at it and have a great hunt, no matter what area you chose to hunt.

hwy

Whats going on. I am also an old retired Army Vet, getting two new shoulders this year after the hunts of course. I also have the Selway Unit B tag. I have never hunted it before, fact is I have never been in any of the units. I was born and raised in Kellogg and Post falls all in the panhandle so that is were all this hunting began for me. Lots of advice I noticed on retrieving game on your thread but very little offers to help. So before the haters jump on my post keep in mind haters I have been shooting 2 or more Elk every year for over 40 years. This year I will kill 4 of them while hunting 3 different states. This Idaho bull will be first or last but the plan is now for it to be first. I am heading into unit 20. I will hunt low just under the foothills concentrating on water that lead me to wallows. I will also hunt bedding areas in dark timber above creeks and streams. It has been my experience these rutting bulls will drop down into the lower elevations while they are rutting. The cows will always be close to water and them rutting bulls also must have it to keep going. The idea of hunting the high steep country during the rut is just that an idea. I will be surprised if I kill this bull more than a mile and a half from a main road. If I come back to kill it in November then things will be much different. Drop me a PM if you would like to exchange information. I am heading into it the 21st through the 25. When I get into them I will give you a call. Andy RLTW....

hero,
So, you've killed over 80 elk in the past 40 years? Why are you changing up you're hunting area's? Good luck in the Selway, and I hope you share some pictures of your success.

hwy

Whats going on. I am also an old retired Army Vet, getting two new shoulders this year after the hunts of course. I also have the Selway Unit B tag. I have never hunted it before, fact is I have never been in any of the units. I was born and raised in Kellogg and Post falls all in the panhandle so that is were all this hunting began for me. Lots of advice I noticed on retrieving game on your thread but very little offers to help. So before the haters jump on my post keep in mind haters I have been shooting 2 or more Elk every year for over 40 years. This year I will kill 4 of them while hunting 3 different states. This Idaho bull will be first or last but the plan is now for it to be first. I am heading into unit 20. I will hunt low just under the foothills concentrating on water that lead me to wallows. I will also hunt bedding areas in dark timber above creeks and streams. It has been my experience these rutting bulls will drop down into the lower elevations while they are rutting. The cows will always be close to water and them rutting bulls also must have it to keep going. The idea of hunting the high steep country during the rut is just that an idea. I will be surprised if I kill this bull more than a mile and a half from a main road. If I come back to kill it in November then things will be much different. Drop me a PM if you would like to exchange information. I am heading into it the 21st through the 25. When I get into them I will give you a call. Andy RLTW....
Haha, I missed this back in September, but he said he was gonna kill a bull within 1 1/2 miles of a road in unit 20 ?

hero,
So, you've killed over 80 elk in the past 40 years? Why are you changing up you're hunting area's? Good luck in the Selway, and I hope you share some pictures of your success.

hwy
why wouldnt you? I have a slam dunk unit a mere yards out of my door and I choose not to hunt it anymore and now hunt a different unit in ID for more solitude, wilderness and bigger bulls. Gets old hunting same crap year after year and even more so if its full of hunters

why wouldnt you? I have a slam dunk unit a mere yards out of my door and I choose not to hunt it anymore and now hunt a different unit in ID for more solitude, wilderness and bigger bulls. Gets old hunting same crap year after year and even more so if its full of hunters
He said he's going to kill 4 elk in 3 different states this year. Sounds like he's changed things up, assuming he's killed his 40 elk in the same unit.

You need to be in top physical shape if you are thinking about killing an elk 5 miles from motorized access. I've done a couple marathons in the last couple years, I'm still in my 30's and consider myself in good physical shape. I packed an elk out 3 miles as the crow flies a couple years ago and I wouldn't even consider attempting 5 miles in the Selway without horses. Without a heavy load of meat, I can cover only about 1 mile on the map an hour in mountain country. Put 80 pounds of meat in my pack and I would be happy if I could average 1/2 miles per hour on the 4 trips it would take me to get an elk out. People that have never packed an elk more than a mile in the mountains do not understand how physically challenging it is.

Five miles without a trail would take me about 5 hours. You can cover miles easier on a well used horse trail but 5 miles in on a good horse trail isn't going to get you away from the hunting pressure.

If you are in good enough physical shape to do full Ironman triathlons in under 17 hours you could physically consider 5 miles but if the weather is warm, meat might spoil because there is no way a single guy can pack out an elk 5 miles in one day. A guy in great physical shape could pull it off in 2 days but that would be brutal.

There is a reason that on average only 15% of the hunters tag an elk in the Selway. The quota for residents and nonresident A & B tags has not sold out. I've never hunted it myself but know several people who have hunted it once and never went back. Lack of repeat customers is a reason the tags don't sell out right away. I'm guessing a majority of the 15% that are successful every year are experienced elk hunters and have hunted the unit before or have hired an outfitter. The Selway elk are hunted with OTC rifle tags every year from September through November. It will be challenging to find elk any on this hunt. Odds are this is going to be more of a hiking trip that you get to pack your rifle around the mountains. It is beautiful country and you will have an elk tag in your pocket and you might get lucky if you put some hard work and time in. You can still have an enjoyable hunt but you need to set realistic expectations.
That is truth Brian. I shot an elk above Jerry Johnson on the Selway when I was 17 yo. I had been training all summer for wrestling , also Cross Country running 35 to 40 miles a week and I was benching 270 lbs 2 to 3 reps . That bull was a 6x6. He was 3 miles straight up from camp near Cayuse creek. My Dad, my brother and I took all day to get him out. I couldn't have made one more trip that day after making 4 trips to get him out ( I didnt have my knife or saw when I shot him so that made an extra trip) and I was obliterated. 6'2" and 190 lbs then.
Good luck though and hopefully you find one close but I would get an outfitter from what you say.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom