Semi live pronghorn hunt...

CAelknuts

I'm thinking of doing semi-live reports on my upcoming Nevada pronghorn hunt, similar to what I did back in 2008 when I drew my Monroe, Utah archery elk tag. Back then, a lot of people seemed to enjoy following along on my hunt, so I'm thinking of doing it again, though I know it'll be more of a challenge in 015 in Nevada, as there is virtually no cell service out in that unit that I'm aware of. But I'm gonna try.

Hunt dates are August 22nd-September 5th. I know the unit well, so haven't been up there yet, but will be scouting in early and mid-August. I've been talking to archery hunters and have some ideas on where a may find a nice buck this year. After applying for 16 years to draw this tag, I'm not going to shoot just any nice buck, but will be holding out for something special. Last time we hunted up in that area, my son had a tag on the California side and he ended up shooting a freak that was 15 1/2" and who's horns went out past the front of his nose. That was after another hunted stumbled onto and shot a buck out from under my son that we'd scouted and he was stalking, that buck scored 85 6/8" B&C officially.

Time will tell what I'm able to find.

Well, this is in danger of becoming the semi-live NON-pronghorn hunt. I just back from a weekend of scouting, hitting familiar spots that I've seen big bucks in during past years out in northwest Nevada.

First day, after over 100 miles of driving on rough desert two tracks, we found quite a few of the water holes dried up, including most springs. For wildlife, we saw exactly one...burro! Not a single pronghorn was sighted, not a single deer.

Yesterday, I hit it at first light, driving over 70 miles of dirt, and found a couple water holes, and even saw a group of8 antelope with a buck that was a whopping 13"er. Not quite the 80"+ buck I'm hunting for. Oh, saw a coyote too, wow! Didn't see any more donkeys though.

I'm gonna scout some different parts of the unit this coming weekend, and if I don't find a big buck, or at least good numbers of antelope, I may turn my tag back in to save the points I'd be sitting on for next year.

Time will tell...

Well, this one just became THE HUNT THAT WASN'T. I've got a really messed up knee that is making it tough to navigate the rough lava rock terrain out in 015, and on top of that I saw exactly 3 pronghorn bucks, biggest maybe 14" in 3 days of scouting, so....

I turned my tag back in. I'll keep my 16 bonus points and eligibility and try again next year.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom