Sept off range Oryx

countryboy300

4965img0595.jpg

This is the first off-range tag i have had. I did a lot of research, talking with people and map studying. But getting super lucky is what I'm chalking it up too. I was able to get out aug. 31st right before my hunt and do a little scouting for the next day. Luck had it, i found a couple oryx off base. Came back the next day looking for them with rifle in hand and couldn't find them. Now i can feel a cold creeping into my body. Then next morning felt like crap with a full blone cold and headed home.

Couple week and a half later dad and myself headed down. Set up camp that evening. Then rolled out of the tent before first light and started glassing. We found some oyrx on-base south about a mile. They were close to the fence and looks like they were heading off range. I was working in that direction. I found a spot in the fence where oryx were crossing and busted the bottom wire. When about half way there, i looked over the fence and there is the joker face working his way over to me. I sit right down and he keeps coming. Then i loose him as I'm waiting behind the weeds. While waiting, something told me to get the bi-pod ready. Then i was prompted to look behind me at the crossing to see where he might cross. Then that is when i spotted this guy, she came right in from behind me. She was about 15 yds on the public land looking at the fence. Having my bi-pod down already made the 125yd shot standing broadside a little less difficult.

At the shot she ran like a bad out of hell. Missing the crossing in the fence now she is running to me and at a angle while still off range. Then i hit her a second time with my .300 win mag and put her down for good. Could have not turned out any better. Luckily we packing in a ton of ice blocks and caped, quartered and skinned her out at camp under a sun shade. Boy it got hot!!!!!!! So blessed with a typical horned, with length @ 34" and no frost bite ears. Sorry for the long read, just pumped now on to the other hunts we have. Thanks Danny

Congrats, man, that's not an easy hunt. Beautiful oryx, especially for off-range. I did off-range in 2013, and I only saw about 8 in 11 days worth of hunting that weren't broken on at least one side, so that's quite an accomplishment to get a 34" that wasn't broken.

Congratulations. That is a really nice Oryx. That is a hunt to remember. What a story you have there. Cool.

Thanks Guys. I enjoyed this hunt a lot. Mostly to have my dad with me this time. When i took my OIL oryx he was not there! He had to work. This one is better than my OIL oryx anyways. I drew a OIL broken horn in 1998.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom