Serious Plumbing Question- Rinnai

Bluehair

Long Time Member
So my Rinnai is giving me the error code “11”, which means the fire ain’t working. Duh.

YouTube says its the “flame rods” or electrode, which comes as a kit at some online plumbing supply houses. Possibly the first thing I haven’t been able to find at Amazon.

Anyway, is this a common part at a local plumbing supply store? Best place to get online?

I’m a little concerned about this repair because it looks so easy. They NEVER are and I smell a trap.

Don't know what it's like where you are but here in Houston shortages are everywhere. Tough to get repair parts especially. Just had to do a repair on a chest freezer. Supplier said I was damn lucky they had the thermostat I needed. He told me they were close to %40 empty on inventory.

Not the “flame rods”. I’m hoping thats a temp fix until I get the new ones.

No flow issues. She’ll put out all the cold water you need.

Don't know what it's like where you are but here in Houston shortages are everywhere. Tough to get repair parts especially. Just had to do a repair on a chest freezer. Supplier said I was damn lucky they had the thermostat I needed. He told me they were close to %40 empty on inventory.
I’ve been trying to buy outdoor lounge chairs since June. I suppose I can pick some up at a yardsale when people have to go back to work.

Yes, there’s a lawn furniture shortage. WTF

All the rest of the propane stuff works fine. The water heater worked fine then an hour later didn’t. I’ll do a little corrosion management.

Usually it’s my solar that chits the bed.:poop:

Well it’s complicated. If code 11 means no flame it could be gas supply or flame rod or ignighter or gas valve failure or a computer problem.. That’s why you call a pro to go out and check all of these things before deciding what the real problem is but maybe you will get lucky and it’s just flame rod . It’s like the train engineer story have you heard it ?

Last edited:
Okay the train is broken down. They call in the engineer he says it will be 1050.00 dollars to fix the train. He walks into the train with only a hammer. He looks around a bit. Finds a spot on the wall and hits in with the hammer. The train starts he says that’s 1050 . The fellow says why a 1050 ? You only walked in here with a hammer and hit the wall. Why so much. Well the engineer said it’s 50 bucks for the hammer and a thousand to know where to hit it.

Yes all the other stuff will work fine but boilers and tankless water heaters are finicky. I had a new install spent 6 hours figuring it out went got a 5 gallon tank and it ran like a dream. Gas ranges, forced air units and others are not particular on quality of gas.

Well it’s complicated. If code 11 means no flame it could be gas supply or flame rod or ignighter or gas valve failure or a computer problem.. That’s why you call a pro to go out and check all of these things before deciding what the real problem is but maybe you will get lucky and it’s just flame rod . It’s like the train engineer story have you heard it ?
Yes, code 11 is supposedly the no flame code. It’s my cabin - a four hour round trip before the tools even get drug out. And based on the repairs I’ve had to make, I think I might be the professional. ;)

Its worked fine for 8 years or so, so no complaints from me.

If I end up having to purge the gasline, I’ll be back here for advice.

Last edited:
Okay the train is broken down. They call in the engineer he says it will be 1050.00 dollars to fix the train. He walks into the train with only a hammer. He looks around a bit. Finds a spot on the wall and hits in with the hammer. The train starts he says that’s 1050 . The fellow says why a 1050 ? You only walked in here with a hammer and hit the wall. Why so much. Well the engineer said it’s 50 bucks for the hammer and a thousand to know where to hit it.
Ok, that calls for a plumber joke I’ve told once before here. Wanted to make sure you didn’t miss it.:)

A fancy blue-chip lawyer was having a superbowl party with all his pretentious friends, when one of them plugged the toilet.

He started frantically calling plumbers and finally found one who could come out. When the plumber finished the job and handed the lawyer the bill, he was visibly shocked.

He told the plumber “I’m a partner at a downtown law firm and even I don’t make that kind of money!”

Plumber says “I didn’t either when I was a lawyer.”

:)

Update: swapped out the old flame rod/igniter plate and it’s good as new. Easy job.

Tip: in cold places, the exhaust vent is where the flies like to go hide. Now I’m thinking there should be a screen somewhere.

I should have winterized it. Now I’m headed up to drain stuff and ride the storm out. I hope I don’t get snowed in for too long - I have less than a dozen tamales.:)
6BEB68CA-B0BD-436A-84E3-A5AF43820589.png

Ok, that calls for a plumber joke I’ve told once before here. Wanted to make sure you didn’t miss it.:)

A fancy blue-chip lawyer was having a superbowl party with all his pretentious friends, when one of them plugged the toilet.

He started frantically calling plumbers and finally found one who could come out. When the plumber finished the job and handed the lawyer the bill, he was visibly shocked.

He told the plumber “I’m a partner at a downtown law firm and even I don’t make that kind of money!”

Plumber says “I didn’t either when I was a lawyer.”

:)
A REAL life story...

About 10 years ago, I did a major remodel of our master bath, which including moving the sink/vanity from one wall to another. It involved running the 1/2" copper water lines & 2" PVC drain pipe about 8' around a corner.

I'm very capable of doing plumbing jobs but hate them nonetheless. So I let my mouse do the walking & found a nearby plumbing contractor that bragged about quoting by the job rather than working by the hour. At the time, I though that would be the best option. I called to have them come out for an estimate.

Now, I've already got the walls stripped down to the studs with all the old set-up in the open. So the guy comes in, looks it all over after I tell him what I want and says "I can do it for $650."

My exact reply, "You wanna bet? You're out of your f---king mind. It will take you about an hour & the materials are less than $75." I then paid him his $25 fee for the estimate.

The next day I made a trip to Home Depot & bought everything I needed for $47. Two hours later, I had the job done.

When it came time to install the new shower plumbing, including a complete new faucet manifold, I just went ahead & did it.

This is after I moved the vanity, which was originally on the left wall next to the toilet.
1633968861995.png

A REAL life story...

About 10 years ago, I did a major remodel of our master bath, which including moving the sink/vanity from one wall to another. It involved running the 1/2" copper water lines & 2" PVC drain pipe about 8' around a corner.

I'm very capable of doing plumbing jobs but hate them nonetheless. So I let my mouse do the walking & found a nearby plumbing contractor that bragged about quoting by the job rather than working by the hour. At the time, I though that would be the best option. I called to have them come out for an estimate.

Now, I've already got the walls stripped down to the studs with all the old set-up in the open. So the guy comes in, looks it all over after I tell him what I want and says "I can do it for $650."

My exact reply, "You wanna bet? You're out of your f---king mind. It will take you about an hour & the materials are less than $75." I then paid him his $25 fee for the estimate.

The next day I made a trip to Home Depot & bought everything I needed for $47. Two hours later, I had the job done.

When it came time to install the new shower plumbing, including a complete new faucet manifold, I just went ahead & did it.

This is after I moved the vanity, which was originally on the left wall next to the toilet.
View attachment 54846
Did you build the cabinets too?

Did you build the cabinets too?
Yuppers. I did everything including all the tile work. The shower got a complete makeover, including breaking out the old concrete pan & pouring a new one & installing all new green board.

I have a bunch of photos on the broken computer. This is the only other one I have on this machine. It's a door close-up showing the faux leaded glass I did. The wood is the same I had used for all the kitchen cabinets -- recycled pine paneling .

1633994130011.png

The wood used in the kitchen.

1633995346504.png

I thought they look custom made because they actually fit in the available space. I have a bunch of photos of some of my work but I need to put them on a CD or scan them. Maybe some day.

I thought they look custom made because they actually fit in the available space. I have a bunch of photos of some of my work but I need to put them on a CD or scan them. Maybe some day.
Exactly. All the bath & kitchen cabs were built in place to fit the spaces ala...

kitchen7.jpg

kitchen5.jpg

Our old kitchen didn't have either a built-in microwave or dishwasher or a disposal. It now has all three.

kitchen2.jpg

kitchen4.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom