Setting up for black Horn 209

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
Getting ready for the muzzleloader Hunt. Just realized that my old box full of black powder shooting supplies isn’t going to work. All my other stuff is 50 caliber. The new 45 caliber shooting Parker 300 grain bullets. Sizing billets now. Going to start weighing out powder to put it in my tubes. I need a breech plug tool. Does Thompson make a multi tool ? Need some cleaning solvent and patches. What works best ? Going to set up a new ammo can for this gun specifically. Get it programmed into the G seven. Tony at Domanant hunting boys has already tested and sold my set up. So he has been a big help. So I am not starting from scratch. But any help from you familiar with blackhorn 209. Post up your ideas.

6D7B2F3F-F608-4555-9D23-2654E4571FDE.jpeg

Last edited:
John
I normally just use a Deep well socket/ratchet in my kit for the breech plug.
Also use a 1/8” drill bit to clean the breech plug flash channel of BH209 build up.
I use Boretech eliminator and a Nylon brush for cleaning.

Ditto on what Elkassassin says. I have used it for several years. I shot my encore at the range over 2 dozen times, just to see the amount of fouling and it was minimal. Never cleaned it and it shot well consistently. 1" Groups.

Make sure you follow the load charge Recommendation's on their website as well.

BH 209 hits pretty hard, recoil wise. So if I were you, I would start with about 70-75 gr. I don't weigh, but I think that is aprox equal to 100 gr by volume. My elk load is 95 gr of BH 209 (by volume) and a 350 gr bullet. Unless you will be shooting 300 yards often, I see no reason to beat your shoulder up or spend as much money: BH is NOT cheap. Why start with a maximum load?

I used 100 grains of BH 209 volume, and a 295 power belt to kill my bear last weekend. Shoots great out of my T/C XP Prohunter. Easy cleanup. I got a set of acetylene welding tip cleaners and they clean the breech plug out fine. Have fun and best of luck to ya BigJT

Out of a TC Omega, I use 100gr BH209...but would start with less - it pops pretty hard. I just am too loazy to work up a new load when the one I have works. For the TC, I also use a deepwell socket with 1/4 breaker bar. That is one of the best things with BH209 - no more seized breech plugs for the most part. Just use some anti seize when you put it in, and after 10-20 shots, and months in the safe, it usually breaks out easily compared to Pyrodex.

For cleaning, I just spit patch between shots. And then for full cleaning, I use Butchs Bore Shine (same as I use for all centerfire rifles.)
If you havent get the pour spout that threads onto the BH209 bottle...makes life easier as can pour/trickle right into volumetric measure.

Since BH 209 is not water soluble, I would not recommend doing a spit patch. I have shot as many as 30 shots without running a patch thru the gun. When I run a moist patch thru the gun I use Hoppes’s (oil based). If you do that while shooting, I would follow with 2 dry patches.

But there are 2 reasons I use BH209: First and foremost is I don’t have to swab between shots. Second is I don’t have to clean It the same day I shoot if I don’t have time. But if I still had to swab between shots, I would have probably stayed with 777.

So do I need to pack extra nipples ? Thanks for the tips. I would have been cleaning the barrel like regular not thinking like 209. Going to sight it in tomorrow morning.

Out of a TC Omega, I use 100gr BH209...but would start with less - it pops pretty hard. I just am too loazy to work up a new load when the one I have works. For the TC, I also use a deepwell socket with 1/4 breaker bar. That is one of the best things with BH209 - no more seized breech plugs for the most part. Just use some anti seize when you put it in, and after 10-20 shots, and months in the safe, it usually breaks out easily compared to Pyrodex.

For cleaning, I just spit patch between shots. And then for full cleaning, I use Butchs Bore Shine (same as I use for all centerfire rifles.)
If you havent get the pour spout that threads onto the BH209 bottle...makes life easier as can pour/trickle right into volumetric measure.
Going to get the pour spout lid !

Sighting in went well. Bore sighter got it centered on paper at 100 yards just low 7 inches. Dialed the turret up got it centered at 100 yards. We had one steel plated and 300. Adjusted the turret to 8.6 for 300 and dead center. We can play with longer distances latter. But I have a question. I have that little powder funnel that gets the powder threw the muzzle break. What do you guys do to carry this little jewel. I was thinking of drilling a hole threw the side of it and mounting it. Maybe to a retractable cord. Shooting 87 grains weighed . Looks like 110 volume on the tube. Getting 2190 FPS With the 300 grain Parker bullet.

F9AC863A-3201-415E-AF19-09F7570E66AC.jpeg

A5CB32BF-E6A1-46A9-A1A7-C4A485C924DB.jpeg

79EEBEFE-6084-444F-B274-D10A7D262216.jpeg

DCD8AC10-39F1-463C-84B0-AE9EABC5E9EE.jpeg

Getting ready for the muzzleloader Hunt. Just realized that my old box full of black powder shooting supplies isn’t going to work. All my other stuff is 50 caliber. The new 45 caliber shooting Parker 300 grain bullets. Sizing billets now. Going to start weighing out powder to put it in my tubes. I need a breech plug tool. Does Thompson make a multi tool ? Need some cleaning solvent and patches. What works best ? Going to set up a new ammo can for this gun specifically. Get it programmed into the G seven. Tony at Domanant hunting boys has already tested and sold my set up. So he has been a big help. So I am not starting from scratch. But any help from you familiar with blackhorn 209. Post up your ideas.

View attachment 12745
BIGJOHNT I also shoot a Thompson Encore Pro Hunter and as for a wrench for the Breach Plug I use a 1/4" ratchet and a deep socket to remove the Breach Plug, I also use Never Seize on the Plug and it comes out easy every time I clean it...As for cleaning it I just use soapy water and a 50 cal. brush on my cleaning rod then just run pads through it until it's dry, that's all you need for a stainless barrel...good luck buddy...

I Wouldn't Use Soapy Water or Water Based Anything when Cleaning up BH209!

You Need an Oil Based Cleaner when Using BH209!

BIGJOHNT I also shoot a Thompson Encore Pro Hunter and as for a wrench for the Breach Plug I use a 1/4" ratchet and a deep socket to remove the Breach Plug, I also use Never Seize on the Plug and it comes out easy every time I clean it...As for cleaning it I just use soapy water and a 50 cal. brush on my cleaning rod then just run pads through it until it's dry, that's all you need for a stainless barrel...good luck buddy...

Nice Scholzens calendar you have there :) As stated before don't use anything waterbase for cleaning and there is no need to spit patch this stuff. I've used this stuff since it came out and there were a couple of years that it was hard to find so stock up when you can, a 10 ounce bottle goes quick.

Measuring by the tubes isn't very accurate. I did that method for years and decided to weigh them. The measurement hash marks can by off by as much as ten grains. I now load them by weight through my RCBS charge master.

I have been weighing the loads. I try to load a tube by hand to see how close I could get. I did pretty good. Shooting 87 grains weighed. But my volume according to the book should be higher. My tubes say 110 by volume. Gun cleaned up really nice. Looks like new. Bob I have a house full of Scholzen calendars. I get a big one and put all the Hunt dates through out the year.

B7D644B3-64DC-49BC-A323-CA126CFF3DBA.jpeg

C64BD34A-078F-4C32-A281-B88E4524E359.jpeg

What are You Doing with them Channel Locks BIGJOHN?:D
Those Channel locks are like a extension of my hand. They just feel natural. :) I didn't have a opened end large enough to fit the largest nut on my sizing die.My biggest crescent wrench wouldn't work ether. So Channel Locks to the rescue !

“Maybe to a retractable cord.” This is exactly what I do BIGJOHNT
Post up a picture of your set up. I was told I could just use my fingers to cover the ports. But that didn't work to well. I had powder in the muzzle break trying to tap it into the barrel.

I have always used volume and gotten good accuracy. Weighing for the hunt to be more accurate sounds good but I would shoot 25-35 times per range session and that’s a lot of work to weigh out that many. If you have time, it certainly is more accurate. But I don’t see any issue at the range.

I used this type of spout. Poured in, tap on table twice, then cut off with spout. Works for me!?

Post up a picture of your set up. I was told I could just use my fingers to cover the ports. But that didn't work to well. I had powder in the muzzle break trying to tap it into the barrel.
Sorry for the late post, I did a little detour last Wednesday and just got home last night...

Here’s a picture of what I did with my funnel, I just attach the retractable to my bino harness....

2FEA9B29-5AAD-473C-A889-0F13D4A46B57.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom