SF Giant's. 2016

With a quick look at a couple of players last fall that may make the roster this year and the free agents already signed, this is probably the most promising I've have ever felt going into the spring!!!

This is an article on Span:

SAN FRANCISCO ? The Giants built a dynasty on pitching and defense, and on Thursday they completed an offseason spending spree that completely embraced that approach.

Denard Span agreed to a three-year, $31 million deal, giving the franchise a new center fielder and leadoff hitter, and an offseason bill that now tops $300 million. The former Washington National will be introduced during a press conference Friday at AT&T Park.

?I'm very pleased to strengthen our club with an excellent defender and a solid top-of-the-order hitter who has a great track record,? general manager Bobby Evans said. ?When you invest in pitching, as we did this winter, it's important to invest in the defense behind them. We think this makes us stronger, deeper and better prepared to enter 2016 with the strongest lineup and strongest defense possible.?

Span?s deal includes up to $5 million in additional performance bonuses based on plate appearances and games played, allowing a player coming off an injury-marred season to try and recoup some lost salary. There is a mutual $12 million option for a fourth year with a $4 million buyout that is already built into the deal.

Span gives the Giants the outfield boost that became a priority after a dramatic rebuild of the starting staff late last year. The Giants had previously given Jeff Samardzija a five-year, $90 million deal and signed Johnny Cueto to a contract that could pay him $130 million over six years. As they worked on signing Samardzija and Cueto, the Giants kept their eyes on Span. Trainer Dave Groeschner visited Span in Tampa in December to get an update on his recovery from hip surgery, and the Giants came away convinced that Span would be healthy and a tremendous fit in the clubhouse.

The 31-year-old hit .301 last season with a .365 on-base percentage, 17 doubles, five homers and 11 steals in as many attempt ? but he played just 61 games. Core muscle surgery put him on the DL to start the season and he had a left hip labrum tear repaired the first week of September, ending his final season in Washington D.C. Span told reporters that the hip procedure would require a four-to-six month recovery, and earlier this week he tweeted out a video of himself hopping over hurdles, with the caption: ?I'm jus sayin.?

Span is said to already be hitting off a tee and throwing, and the Giants are confident he'll be ready for action during the first week of spring training games. This training staff has dealt with similar issues in the past; Jake Peavy came back from a hip and back injury to pitch well in the second half of 2015 and Justin Maxwell had the exact same labrum surgery in August of 2014. Maxwell didn't have any issues once he joined the Giants the following spring.

When healthy, Span is a game changer. A speedy left-handed hitter, the Tampa native posted a .279/.327/.380 slash line in 2013 ? his first season with the Nationals ? and led the league with 11 triples. Span had a league-leading 184 hits in 2014, batting .302 with a .355 OBP, five homers, eight triples, 39 doubles and 31 stolen bases.

For his career, Span ? a first-round pick of the Twins in 2002 ? is a .287 hitter with a .352 on-base percentage and 152 steals in 193 tries. It's a profile that makes him an ideal leadoff hitter for a Giants team that let Nori Aoki depart early in the offseason.

The bigger question regards the outfield alignment. Span has been almost exclusively a center fielder in his big league career, and while his numbers took a dip last season, advanced metrics put him in the middle of the pack among NL center fielders during his time with the Nationals. Span?s metrics in center are similar to Gregor Blanco?s, and he would be an upgrade over incumbent Angel Pagan, who ranked last among MLB center fielders in Defensive Runs Saved in 2015.

The Giants have always been hesitant to publicly discuss shifting Pagan, who is now entering an important contract year, but all indications are that the longtime center fielder will be moved to left, clearing a spot for Span. Pagan was informed of the Span deal before it became public, and while he has always prided himself on playing up the middle, he is expected to embrace his new role as the everyday left fielder.

While left fielders Justin Upton and Yoenis Cespedes remain on the market, the Giants never seriously chased either player and don't expect to add another outfielder. Any additions from this point on will be to provide depth to one of the most talented rosters in baseball.

That means Span is the final significant move in the most expensive winter in franchise history. Counting the $75 million extension for Brandon Crawford that kicked off the offseason, the Giants have committed $326 million to four players in the past two months.

Larrbo, you beat me to it! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Can't wait until after 2/8/2016.

Super Bowl will be over, as well as chukar season.

Then it's all about the GIANT'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and big game draws.

The SF Giants have soo much potential this year! I can't remember ever having this high quality of players already in their positions throughout, up and down the lineup. Stay healthy, Play Ball!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Angel Pagan to left field I guess. Kind of dangerous if you ask me. In center field there's only one wall to crash into. :)

LMAO, Yeah, he does like to crash into walls, i think a lot of times for show. I'm pulling for Angel and he has his shot here to make good... or start thinking about a early retirement. lol

It's entirely possible that he doesn't finish the season with the Team. Thankfully, there are any number of capable young Giants waiting in the wings for their shot.

Boy the Team looks good, love hearing and reading everyday all i can about anything Giants, so glad that we are back to baseball.

I'm having a hard time with myself over if i should get Dish or one of the TV providers again so i can watch the games this year. I didn't miss out on too much last year but i could only listen to kruk and Kyp, right there worth the MLB radio package price of $19.99 a season, while watching a simulator screen with all the stats n facts easy at hand. I don't know yet which way i'll go but i do know that i don't miss regular TV and i sure don't miss paying the $75. a month it used to cost me.

Joey

Watch out Guys ,My Dbacks added a lotta pitching. Don't count that trophy yours just yet...Nice down here at spring training too. Sunny evry day, that alone will throw the Giants off. Should be a fun year .Hope both teams stay healthy, but not the dodgers.........Bull!

Yeah Bull, AZ been working on putting a good team on the field, they already had good and from what they added, they may well have made a monster. I like the make-up of your team, put it better or at least as good as the Dodgers and time will tell how it all shakes out with the Giants. Good Luck!

Too bad that injuries can make up such a big part of obtaining a seasons objectives. That's Baseball i guess! lol

Joey

Shows how much i know, Jeremy Affieldt signed on as a public relations guy with the Giants Org. I would have guessed that he would be more of a fit in broadcasting, either games as a color guy or a sports news analyst like ESPN. Not so, worth reading...

http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/affeldt-takes-role-giants-fell-love-san-francisco

Sharp guy, speaks well, one heck of a Giant!!!

Joey

lol. Nobody ever doubted that he could do it, just like him to do it now when it don't count.

Being his stock is up so high, trade him for a certified good baseball smart player and get rid of the child minded moron before he stubs his toe again, something of the sort, is out for 30-50 games, and when he does come back, he won't be able to hit batting practice like pitching for another 30 before he starts to come around again.

I've told you, the dudes a head case. I've also said that he can hit once he gets going. He'll manage to hurt the team somehow, always does.

Did you see those two HR's to dead Center way up into the cactus? Super Monster shots and he made it look so easy. They won't trade him so all we can do is keep our fingers crossed that the inevitable injurys won't happen. Stay hot!

Joey

Keep your slimy Paws Off My, Yours, Our,.. Public Land!!!

"Joey, they can't get rid of him. He hit a home run at Washington in the 18th inning. Remember?"

Oh yea, i remember, huge yet how did that work for Travis Ishikawa? lol

Belt is fine. I just would like more consistency from him, not make as many air head mistakes, and not be out with so many injury's that seem to plague him during the regular season.

Joey

Great game today.

Nice to have an offense after all of the TORTURE seasons.

Bochy said MadBum had the flu the last couple of days, and a couple of the players mentioned it during their interviews. MadBum "forgot" to mention it during his interview. A true pro!!!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-16 AT 08:54PM (MST)[p]I like the way our Giants are swinging the bats, the good cuts they take. Check out Crawford's rip and he's our 7th or 8th hitter! I think a bunch of Giant players will do well this year and because so... no, i won't say it. :)

http://m.mlb.com/sf/video/topic/162...crawford-crushes-a-home-run-to-right/?c_id=sf

Larrbo said, "... I can't wait to see them in San Diego in May."

Buddy, looked like a lot of traveling Giants Fans in Miller Park this evening. Have you and Patrica ever taken in games in that Park?

Go Giants!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-16 AT 06:25PM (MST)[p]Largebull, Pollock being down must hurt. The guy's a great ballplayer.

12-6 over the drudgers, oh so nice!

Matt Cain, "The Horse", tomorrow night. Please please please do good!

Dodgers game today...
8801wheels.jpg

Go Giants!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-16 AT 00:20AM (MST)[p]And so it was, just another walk off Win over the Drudgers! I see their New Manager is receiving Critic for removing his potential no hitter starter. Tuff call there.

Not long ago i posted a link of Crawford's swing. Here he uses the same type and quality of rip to go oppo for the game winner...
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/171288010/giants-brandon-crawford-hits-walk-off-homer

The guy is a Star, gunna be a SuperStar. Also, did you notice how he ran the bases after hitting the winning dinger? He ran them like he's been there before, like a pro, like a winner. Imagine if Pueg had hit one out, how he'd have acted...Bush!

Belt? Belt? Anybody seen Belt around.lol Lots of opportunity's in big RBI situations but Belt has not showed up in fact he has repeatedly choked when it counts. He will come around, i know, but he's being typical Belt so far and gets hits and HRs when not as needed.

edit: by saying what i said about Belt, i know for sure that it is going to come back and bite me. I know that but i'm a big Boy and for that to happen, that will mean that Belt is finally helping the way and magnitude we all hoped that he would. I'm willing to take one for the Team! :)

lol, Go Giants!!

Joey

Tough loss yesterday to the evil empire. Yes Eel, I'm heading down to the series in San Diego in may....I hope the Giant's can overcome my presence ☺

Go easy on my Rocks boys, they're a bit fragile from the pounding the Padres put on em over the weekend!

>Go easy on my Rocks boys,
>they're a bit fragile from
>the pounding the Padres put
>on em over the weekend!
>

I was going to ask you to take it easy on the Giants. The Rockies are hot right now. Who is Trevor Story? He replaced what's his name? :)

In the end eel, he'll be like that nuggets win over the warriors, a lone bright spot in an ugly season!

Hey, the Giants Won a Game!!

Am i expecting too much from these guys? Have i elevated their projected offensive effectiveness beyond their actual abilities? Maybe so...lots of season left, i love Baseball!! :)

Go Giants!

Joey

I've been impressed with Jeff Samardzija (Shark) so far. He's pitched well and seems like a good teammate. Same with Johnny Cueto. He's a tough sucker.

It was good to see Bonds. He looks like he could still swing the bat.

I agree with you Eel on our new starting pitchers, Cueto pitched a great game yesterday. I've been really busy lately and haven't been posting much....but still watching and cheering for the Giant's.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-16 AT 08:23PM (MST)[p]I wish Jake Peavy and the bull pen would quit pitching under hand.

DW, was that kind enough? Rockies got some batting practice in last night.

I agree, Cain has to go.

LAST EDITED ON May-06-16 AT 09:59AM (MST)[p]I thought it was "fan pitch an inning night" during the 5th.:eek:

Liable to be a little different tonight.

Here's a prediction on how the Giants get better, fast.

As soon as Andrew Susac is healthy again and producing for the RiverCats, expect him to be traded for a pitcher. He played through a broken wrist all of last season until they shut him down for surgery, and he had some wrist trouble this spring, which was largely his own fault from over working. Now, he has a muscle problem in his throwing shoulder. As soon as that heals and he starts producing, he'll be an attractive option for the many teams that need catching.

Cain and Peavy kind of snapped out of it and Susac is almost ready. Things are looking up. The baby giraffe has been a pleasant surprise too.

They seem to be starting to roll a bit. I hope my trip to San Diego this week doesn't mess up the Mojo. Go Giant's.

Giants games are quickly diminishing any dark hair that i had left. Yes, Belt is doing good, at least his numbers say so.

Lack of putting up numbers with runners in scoring position continues to haunt the whole team. IMO, They are a much better Team than they've shown so far. Let's hope that comes out as the season progresses and we walk away with this division.

Larrbo, You and Pat have a blast in SD. The Giants big 3 will be Pitching...

Joey

>The Giant's hadn't swept a 7
>game road trip since 1913.
>

I know! They must not have noticed you in the stands! :)

We're beating up the NL West pretty good so far. That will bode well later on.

Nice run of games. Tonight the Cubs bring with them the best record in the game and start arguably the best pitcher in the game to SF. Our Hottest Team in the Game right now will oppose with Jake Peavy. Looks like a solid mismatch on paper but Hot is Hot and we are that. :) I can't wait!

Go Giants!!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON May-20-16 AT 12:46PM (MST)[p]>
>We're beating up the NL West
>pretty good so far. That
>will bode well later on.
>

Uhh humm?:D

>
>We're beating up the NL West
>pretty good so far. That
>will bode well later on.
>

Uhh humm? :D

I meant to say lately. :D

Lots of Fun being a Giants Fan these days! The only downer is there not being a game tonight!

The Team has headed to Colorado for three with Cain against Chatwood leading off Friday. Chatwood has given us fits in he past and Cain has given up 8 and 6 runs against Colo in his two starts against them this season. That was then, we'll see...

Both Cain and Peavy are starting to come around. Bochy does not give up easily on guys who have proved themselves to him in the past. Go Giants!!

Joey

Watching Hunter have to stop half way to first base while legging out that grounder, hit me like a good punch to the guts. Such a key guy, i fear the worst and hope for the best but he's gonna be out longer than we'd like.

So, do we continue with the kids, let them have their shot, or, does the brass once again pull it's mid season magic rabbit and find the exact right piece of the puzzle that leads us all the way?

Joey

Eel, i hope it's only 8 weeks but the Giants have a history of underestimating how long a complete recovery will take. I hope so but i'd be surprised to see hunter in a big league game in 8 weeks. 10 or 11 weeks is probably more like it and even then, they could call it the season for him if there's any setbacks.

Parker seems to be a decent glove in the field but he's not been bringing a hot bat to the plate. We know that he has lots of power but he's got to bring it. I think that we can hold our division lead with what we have, mix and match, every day a new hero, and our strong starting pitching. Losing Pence though, is a serious blow to a very strong part of our Team and further injury's to other key members on the squad can't be good.

Go Giants! Keep em rolling!

Joey

Dall, are you going to any of the Giants-Boston Games?

The last two losses at Saint Louie felt like the same kind of losses we had last year after Hunter, and a couple other key Giants, got hurt. Some of us have felt all along that the only thing that could Doom this Team this year,.. is injurys. Guys got to step up!

Go Giants!

Joey

HEY JOEY......HAVE NOT MADE ANY OF THE SF/BOSTON GAMES, HAVE WATCHED ALL OF THEM ON THE TUBE. MADE A COUPLE OF GIANT GAMES IN JUNE THOUGH, ALWAYS ENJOY THAT PARK.

THE REDSOX ARE COMING TOGETHER, THIS NEW CATCHER (LEON) IS A GREAT HITTER & GOOD FIELD GENERAL. THOSE CUBS ARE SCARING EVERYONE THOUGH, THIS COULD BE THEIR YEAR. THEN AGAIN YOU NEVER KNOW........ITS BASEBALL!!!!

PRETTY MUCH GETTING MY BUTT KICKED TRYING TO DRAW A GOOD TAG, POINTS MOSTLY THUS FAR.....COLORADO HERE I COME. TAKE ER EASY............YD.

I out of the country for 3 weeks, it's been disappointing to wake up and check the box score every morning.

>The NL West tried to give
>the division to the Giants
>but they said nah....

I notice that even in the 7 th inning with a 7-1 lead they said nah...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom