SF155...house committee

BuzzH

Long Time Member
I like how this chit is dropped on us last minute and posted just a few hours before its heard in committee.

Guys, I promise, next session, I'm going to be more on top of this stuff.

Anyway, tomorrow at 8 A.M. the house TRW committee is hearing another of Senator Larry Hicks' fantastic pieces of...yeah, legislation. The bill has been amended to state "a portion of all big-game licenses" will be issued to archery only. Meaning that anywhere from 1-100% of the available tags in any unit, could go to archery only. We're talking moose, goat, bison, sheep, elk, deer, and pronghorn.

Its unneeded legislation as the WYG&F already has the authority to establish type-9 archery only tags.

This is an attempt by Bow Hunters of Wyoming to create a system where they can increase their draw odds over everyone else. The greed of Bow Hunters of Wyoming as well as Senator Hicks' truly knows no bounds. This bill is driving a wedge between hunters.

Heres the link to the TRW committee...the HOUSE committee is hearing this one, so send your thoughts that way.

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/LegislatorSummary/CommitteeMembers.aspx?strCommitteeID=06

LAST EDITED ON Feb-07-13 AT 09:51PM (MST)[p]Damn, I was just ready to turn off the puter and go to bed. Now it looks like I'll be up awhile sending out more emails. I hope some people turn out to testify against the Bill. Thanks Buzz!

Done!!! I'm getting pretty good at this C/Ping, LOL!

This is insane. I love to be able to bow hunt and rifle hunt. We have the perfect system for everyone but the few who only bow hunt. Talk about greed this is off the charts crazy Wyoming has the perfect system as is. Please people oppose this.

Here we go again! Hicks is having a heyday with himself is'nt he? Nothing wrong with the way the system is now. I'll be sending more e-mail out this morning.

I sent a round of email late last night at 11:00. Basic argument is that the game and Fish already has the ability to set license type and numbers. This legislation is a pointless bill as the managers can already decide to increase/decrease tags. they can determine how many type tags and how many type 1 etc.

This one just needs to die as it is utterly worthless... Hell it even devalues the paper it is printed on.

I hear a lot of rant about those greedy bowhunters but I'm not hearing any details. Are the bowhunters going to be allowed to hunt the entire season or will it be a shortened special archery season only. If they have a special archery season will it be before the rifle season or will it be after the rifle season is over (as area 150 used to be). Will a rifle hunter still be able to buy an archery license as in the current system or will he be denied to hunt with archery equipment.

Before everyone flies off the handle perhaps we should learn a little more about what is in the details. Maybe us rifle hunters should take a look in the mirror and see who's greedy before we start shooting off emails. Right now the greedy bowhunters have to share their early season elk hunts with the greedy cow elk hunters and risk getting shot while stalking an elk. I know a greedy outfitter who had a cow elk shot 30 yards in front of a client last fall by an unannounced greedy rifle hunter. Too close for comfort. To fix that problem I wonder which one of those seasons we should close. Perhaps we should close both so the greedy trophy huntere can have a better chance when bull season opens. Why do we even let those greedy bowhunters hunt during the prime of the rut...that's just not fair! The elk rut should be reserved for rifle season hunters, just like it is for antelope and whitetails and mule deer and moose and spring bear and turkeys and.... But what really upsets me most is those greedy kids who can buy their tags cheaper than me. Like Obama says, we all need to pay our fair share. Next thing you know and those greedy parents will be asking for a special youth season for their greedy little kids. Thank god I shoot my animals with a rifle, I'd hate to end up like those greedy bowhunters.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-13 AT 10:07AM (MST)[p]Blueticker---Read the OP put up by BuzzH and that's all there is to know because that's all that was in the stupid Bill. Thank God it went down this AM without a member even giving it a second to put it to a vote of the entire committee!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-13 AT 10:15AM (MST)[p]>I hear a lot of rant
>about those greedy bowhunters but
>I'm not hearing any details.
>Are the bowhunters going to
>be allowed to hunt the
>entire season or will it
>be a shortened special archery
>season only. If they have
>a special archery season will
>it be before the rifle
>season or will it be
>after the rifle season is
>over (as area 150 used
>to be). Will a rifle
>hunter still be able to
>buy an archery license as
>in the current system or
>will he be denied to
>hunt with archery equipment.
>
>Before everyone flies off the handle
>perhaps we should learn a
>little more about what is
>in the details. Maybe us
>rifle hunters should take a
>look in the mirror and
>see who's greedy before we
>start shooting off emails. Right
>now the greedy bowhunters have
>to share their early season
>elk hunts with the greedy
>cow elk hunters and risk
>getting shot while stalking an
>elk. I know a greedy
>outfitter who had a cow
>elk shot 30 yards in
>front of a client last
>fall by an unannounced greedy
>rifle hunter. Too close for
>comfort. To fix that problem
>I wonder which one of
>those seasons we should close.
>Perhaps we should close both
>so the greedy trophy huntere
>can have a better chance
>when bull season opens. Why
>do we even let those
>greedy bowhunters hunt during the
>prime of the rut...that's just
>not fair! The elk rut
>should be reserved for rifle
>season hunters, just like it
>is for antelope and whitetails
>and mule deer and moose
>and spring bear and turkeys
>and.... But what really upsets
>me most is those greedy
>kids who can buy their
>tags cheaper than me. Like
>Obama says, we all need
>to pay our fair share.
>Next thing you know and
>those greedy parents will be
>asking for a special youth
>season for their greedy little
>kids. Thank god I shoot
>my animals with a rifle,
>I'd hate to end up
>like those greedy bowhunters.

We have been all over this since before it was introduced. The original bill stated that the Game and Fish would be required to make at least 10% of the type 1 tags into type 9 only. This was simply done because the archers wanted more at the expense of other hunters. Further more the Game and Fish Has the ability to set license numbers, types etc. If a manger already wanted too they could decrease the type 1 tags and offer more type 9. Also noted that there are already type 9 tags that can be had as leftovers every year.

The real issue is that WY is currently the most archery friendly state in the west. For a small fee (one I would argue that could be increased a bunch) you can hunt an archery season on teh type 1 tag.

As far as being greedy, it was true. It was not about increasing opportunity, it was not about increasing odds, it was not about spending more days in the field, but it was about providing more opportunity to one subset of hunters at the expense of other hunters. They have not had much success in getting this done through the Game and Fish tag allocation process so they tried an end around approach by trying to get the legislature to buy in and force the rule.

It did not take long for the legislature to realize this was not something they wanted so the dropped the 10% minimum and left it open from 0%-100%. That made no sense since the game and fish could already do it.

Also as far as a guide getting an elk shot out in front of him... Well that the risk of hunting public lands. People are going to mess things up. I have been messed up by all sort of issues as an archery hunter. ATVs Rifle Hunters, Coyote Hunters, family picnics, a baby crying, etc.

Your argument makes not sense. Also nearly every single one of us in this thread are also archery hunters. Not all archery hunters wanted it. The overwhelming majority likes the status quo for now and only a handful seemed to be really interested in seeing this passed.

talk about greed, it is the guys who want to have it both ways. I for one would prefer that a person has to choose to bow hunt or rifle hunt a species. My brother does both and he would like it also if you could only do one.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-13 AT 01:29PM (MST)[p]Why what would this accomplish? Enlighten us who like the ability to hunt archery and not have to give up the ability to hunt rifle?

Lets here this great argument!!!

Oh ans also there are left over type 9 tags every year that would allow you to go on your archery only hunt...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-13 AT 01:47PM (MST)[p]Yep, died in committee this morning, wasnt carried. Myself and one other person testified against it, BOW had one guy speak in favor, another person "ditto" the first guys testimony.

The funny thing was that the bill Sponsor did not introduce the bill to committee. The chairman of the TRW committee wasnt too happy about it either...

Nobody is forcing any archery hunter to pick up a rifle and hunt during the rifle period of their type-1 tag. Your tag, your choice to use it during rifle season or not. Further, a dedicated archery hunter is free to use their archery gear during the rifle season.

Why fix something that isnt broken?

Again, this isnt about choosing a weapon, its about increasing archery draw odds in the harder to draw areas for deer, elk, and pronghorn as well as for sheep, moose, goat, bison, etc.

This one died...and rightfully so.

I received a responsive email today from my Representative Dave Blevins telling me it was dead. I would think that our representatives would be getting tired of dealing with this crap.

If you wanted a true playing field, WY should allow type-9 tag holders to buy a "stamp" to extend their hunt into rifle season.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-13 AT 08:04PM (MST)[p]>If you wanted a true playing
>field, WY should allow type-9
>tag holders to buy a
>"stamp" to extend their hunt
>into rifle season.

WY G&F should get rid of type 9 all together, and then it would be a "true playing field."

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom