SFW Positions

R

runner

I just found out from a good source that there are people applying for the fund raising job with SFW. As you may well know, FISHON resigned or was actually ousted because he wouldn't be as "shady" as Don Peay wanted him to be.

These are the people that I heard were applying. Do think they're capable or is SFW going down the drain?

Troy Justensen - He is chairman of the SFW board, currently.

Blaine Murri - He works for Sportsman's Warehouse (good friend of Don Peay)

Kevin Jensen - Good friend of SFW President John Bair

Aaron Albiston - No Idea who he is. (token slave?)

Also, there is a new position being developed for a full-time media secretary.

The only application so far is Rusty and Lisa Hall of Trophy Hunter Magazine for the last position listed. - They are good friends of Troy Justensen and Don Peay.

Isn't it funny that all the people applying for these jobs are from the "inner circle"? Maybe the reason that FISHON left SFW and that only the "good ole boys" are applying for these positions is because they will be "yes" men and FISHON would not. That's certainly what I read between the lines. What do you think?

Runner

I'm not a Utah resident, and hence don't follow SFW very closely (other than the saga I've been following on this board? ;-) ).

It seems to me though, that one way you could look at this is the position you have apparently taken, which insinuates that this is a 'good ol' boys' network, effectively closed to outsiders.

Another way to look at it however, would be that these are the only people interested enough (or dedicated enough) to spend the time & energy on the organization.

I recently took over as Youth Director for the Arizona Deer Association. I've been a member for a couple of years, but not really 'active'.... Prior to taking the role of Youth Director, I attended the annual meeting, and a couple of board meetings. One thing I observed was that it was really just a small group of folks that are really running things. They are the ones with their names all over the ADA media, magazines, events, etc... On one hand, it could look like a 'good ol' boys' network is running the place, but as I became involved it became apparent to me that that wasn't the case. As soon as I demonstrated an interest in being seriously involved in the organization, I was welcomed with open arms, and have learned that it is absolutely NOT an 'insider?s network', but a case of the general ADA member population being extremely apathetic to the cause. Case in point; there is over 500 ADA members, but I can count on one hand, the number of them that showed-up at the annual meeting. This is truly sad....

Again, I don't know SFW, and am not close to the issues facing the state of Utah. I will say however, that the only way to see for your self it is a 'good ol' boys' network or not, would be to volunteer to get involved. My guess is that they would welcome anyone into their 'inner circle' that was seriously willing to contribute. If there are qualified folks who really want the open position in the organization, then they should apply! Let the best man/woman win the job, and the perception of an insiders network may start to diminish.

My $.02...

S.

:)

PS: As a public service announcement for the ADA: Those of you who live in AZ and have children should expect to see information from me soon! If you live here, hunt deer, and have kids, then GET INVOLVED!! Teach the kids to give back!!!!!

LOL
Pretty funny stuff man!!

What do I think?
I think you've already spent too much time thinking about it. I know I wasted a couple minutes reading it.

The jobs are posted on the SFW website and anyone is open to submit a bid. The SFW board would love to see many applications and then will decided who to hire.

The conspiracy theory is comical, but inaccurate.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Brian,

We'll see what others have to say about this whole deal. You may feel I'm biased and that may well be true because of what I've heard from reliable sources. But, my sources tell me your comments have to be biased as well because your part of the "inner circle" or very close to it.

So, we'll see what others have to say about the SFW fiasco.

I'm apart of the "inner circle"????? What does that mean? I certainly don't feel like I'm apart of any "inner circles".
If I were, I wish I were privledged to some secret documents that identified where all the giant bucks are!!!! That's the kind of circle I like!!

On the serious side runner, I really don't think there's any "inner circles" in the SFW. There's just a bunch of guys and gals who love to hunt and fish. We all have the same passion, and that's what has drawn those people together.

Half the reason I'm involved with these organizations is just so I have an excuse to go hangout at committee meetings and talk about big deer. But don't tell my wife!

You should add another "source" and call me. I'll tell you why I support SFW and defend those who dedicate so much personal time trying to make things better for everyone.
Send me an email.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Runner, you are way out there!!! Stanley and Brian are stating the facts. Stanley is so correct when he said it's the people who care that's applying. I know some of the people that are applying and they love mule deer and other big game species enough to want to help make things better. Guy's like you just want bring good people down. I don't know you but that's what I'm getting from your post. If you care about where the SFW is going you should apply for the jobs... Steve

I wish someone would confirm or deny the rumors. I hate to ass-u-me anything, but the rumors are flying.

Why does the SFW fail to comment? They seem to be very tight lipped about the whole thing. Fishon states he quit. I hear tell he was fired. There are also "other rumors" and I don't like spreading rumors.

Is there an opening for CFO? I hear that is a pretty good gig. What chance would I have to take over Fishon's job? Did it pay very good Fishon? Or was this strictly volunteer work?

TROY JUSTENSEN has the exprerience of taking control of very heavy issues concerning hunting issues. Ask yourself how many days you can be out in the field scouting,hunting and viewing wildlife. This guy can tell you what is going on in UTAH and what he says is very true. I know for a fact he is not the type that would screw us for the all mighty dollar. He would like to see his kids hunting in the future just like alot of us. I do think we need to change the limited draws to a five year bonus point system before you can even be considered of drawing or our youth hunters are in big trouble. Also how about the older folks that are 65 or older lets give our fathers and grandfathers a small break also. They need a seperate draw and if they do draw it would make a nice family get togeather before it is to late.
MEMORIES OF LOVED ONES IS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT.
BUT PLEASE LORD LET ME DRAW A GREAT ELK TAG IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE.
VOTE FOR TROY JUSTENSEN HE IS A GREAT MAN WITH GREAT WILDLIFE KNOWLEDGE.

Hounddawg, we got ya job. You and Don can lobby together. Just think Brent, after a year with the "in crowd" Disneyland will be a vacation!

Being a member of SFW I to would like to see or hear the straight story. I have talked to some people that were involved in getting SFW started. They are not wackos or people trying to tear something down. But they have all made ther decision to leave SFW. When you talk to them you can sense very hard feelings and an unwillingness to talk about it, except that things are bad. So yes I would like to hear it from the top, I would also like to see an acounting of where the money is going, lets dispell the rumors of four to five thousand being pocketed at certain banquets.

I refuse to pick sides on this one but I would like to hear straight up from sfw, maybe in the next SFW mag?

Mulehound.

PumaGuy,

I'm honored you would consider me for the position. If the package comes with a unlimited beer tab at the Westerner and maybe a company truck, say a 1985 Toyota Tacoma with 198,000 miles and a little SFW logo on the door, I'd be all over that deal!!

I guess I'm with Mulehound. Besides their 1940's mindless, outdated approach to predator management I don't have any beef with the SFW and I think they have done and do some really good things for Utah wildlife.

I just wish someone would step up to the plate and say what's going on because the rumors are not good. I personally have heard recently that the Co-founder of the SFW has left the group, that one of their big fund raisers has left the group, and that the Christensen Arms people have left the group.

It would be nice for someone in the group to either confirm or deny all this stuff going around. If not, at least they could buy me a 2 year supply of Coors Original with some of that banquet money. ;-)

HoundDawg, I am very interested in hearing your ideas for managing predators. All I ever hear is that there are to many lions, and they're wiping out the deer, elk and sheep herds (and have said so myself on many occasions). I don't live in Utah, but I hear all the same things in NM. I would really like to hear the opinions of a sportsmen on the other side of the issue.
Thanks,
Dan

HoundDawg

You're "right-on" with hearing that the Co-founder, some fund raisers and Christensen Arms have left the group. Those are some of the same rumors I'm hearing and more.

I really wish someone (preferably the Don and Fishon as that's where the controversy seems centered right now) would come out of hiding and let us all know what happened. We, the mighty hunters and fishermen of Utah deserve to know why these reportedly good people and sponsors are leaving the organization.

I wish we knew all knew too!! Please, won't someone confirm or deny? Fishon? Mr Peay? Someone who knows more than mere rumors?

Runner

Who was it that posted a thread right here on MonsterMuleys nearly a year ago predicting trouble for the SFW for engaging themselves in divisive tactics?? Hey wait a minute.....that was me!!!!

What a prophet I am. I think I'll reward myself by going to the fridge and getting me another beer!

What we need is a new organization that spends very little on everyones Salary.
RMEF--not all $$$ stays in UT.
MDF--same thing, not all stays in UT.
SFW--it stay's in UT allright, however it's in everyone bank accounts.
DOn, Troy, John, the list goes on and on.
I believe there is TOO much money going into everyones pocket books. More people need to volunteer their time to the organization, instead of trying to make a living off it.
THE BIGGEst problem is eveyone is getting something $$$!!!!
Even the founder of MM is being paid a nice chunck$$ to run the SFW web site.

I would love to see a "actual" list of all the people being paid.
Example:

Don Paey---$85,000
Troy Just.-$45,000
Tony Abbot.-$45,000
etc, etc,etc,

We need a UTAH SPORTSMAN ASSOCIATION.
And all money stays instate, and NO SALARY'S

Anybody interested to get involved???

Rob Snow

Are you serious, a few of these guys might get paid, but the bottom line is they are putting their whole life into it, and I know there are not very many that get paid. Would you be willing to quit your job and lead a group, I guarntee you wouldn't do it for free and many of these guys do. Brian does the website I don't know if he is paid or not but he deserves to be do you know how much work goes into putting one together. Why don't you put together an organization with no salary's. Bottom line is the members won't put very much into it because they are not as dedicated as many of these men.

get a life

NMTAXI- Hounddawg, Mulehound and I along with a vast majority of houndsmen in this state did try to push a proposal two years ago for predator management, but SFW didn't stay true to their word and go along with our proposal. There was hundreds of hours put into the proposal by numerous lion hunters with decades of experience. SFW agreed the night before the RAC meetings with us that the proposal was good and they would endorse it. Well I submitted the proposal to the first three RAC meetings and was backdoored by SFW. It is amazing the houndsmen who spend more time keeping track of lions in this state than anyone else always get reminded they don't know anything about cougar populations, GO FIGURE!
By the way, if SFW is so interested in getting children into hunting, why are they wanting elk tags paid for at the time of the application and not waiting for a successful draw. Explain that to my fourteen year old girl that always has $280 laying around for the DWR to keep in their bank account for months only to get another unsuccessful notice.

Am I serious????

Bobcatbaby,

Look at RMEF. one or two men getting paid. everyone else is a freakin Volunteer.

you sound as if you are getting a paycheck from SFW too!!

Get some real balls!!
snowman

Well I saw your nice posting of my name "Token Slave" and was courios what you would like me to say about it. I am not in the Inner Circle. I have been a volunteer for three years now and never recieved a dime! I have won prizes at banquets but nothing more. I wanted to make more of a difference for the Average hunter's to SFW and what more of a better chance!

Tallbuck1

Hey Rob,

I was reading through the long lists of posts and came accross yours. I must agree with you about money being raised and not staying within the respective states by many of the exisiting "Foundations". However, I'm curious...if y'all started your own organization in Utah, would the members quit hunting the great Mule Deer State of Wyoming? Sure would be nice if some of that money you raise went to help support the deer you actually hunt!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom