shanks!

HIcountryman

Very Active Member
Browned on grill and 6 hours in crock pot. With red wine, a little ketchup and mustard, tomato, onion, carrot, beats. Fantastic. Thanks to Rubella for turning me on to slow cookin Shan is.

20201103_120844.jpg

20201103_175934.jpg

20201103_180256.jpg

Thanks to Rinella for idea, if not this recipe. These were best ever. I 've been eating shanks for about 6 yrs now. They are about worthless to grind, so breaking down all that connective tissue slowly is best. Lots of fat in there that melts into the meat. I can post details of recipe if anyone wants. Try 'em folks!

This was a med/small buck so not strong marrow flavor. I didn't crack bones so I don't really get the marrow flavor here. Some, though , cooks into broth.
If you cut "rounds" out of shank, a couple inches, you can get it. Best marrow I 've had was calf elk. Deer marrow from big or small bucks and doe has not been great

I've loved eating shanks lately. I'm a little disappointed I've left a few laying in the hills. I'm interested in your recipe, would love to try it out.

Still butchering elk (after finishing painting kitchen...wife started that project when I left for 4th season elk hunt... I got home early!) I will post details of shank recipe soon. They are worth a try!

sorry for the delay. Here is recipe:
Rub shanks with oil, pepper, salt, garlic and onion powder, oregano. Brown on hot (420-450*) grill for 12 or so minutes, turning every 4 minutes. Put in crockpot on high heat with 4 cups water, I pour hot water over tray to get all grease and spices. Add a few tablespoons each of ketchup and mustard, , add a cup of red wine, one fresh diced tomato. Turn to low heat after one hour on high. After 5 hours, add onions, carrots, (red beets optional-not sure they added much), more spices: crushed red pepper, garlic, black pepper. Remove at 6 hours and eat! Served with roasted potato (i don't love them mushy in the crockpot with the meat but you can...), asparagus, orange peppers, and corn english muffin.
all that stuff you can't chew melts in the pot. Seperate leftover meat from gristle and unedible stuff while it is warm and store with the deliscious broth. Enjoy shanks and no one will believe you when you tell how good they are!

i think the bit of oregano, red wine, tomato, and mix of ketchup and mustard were the key to this being the best of the shanks i have made. the browning on the grill was just right also!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom