Shed Antler Season Changes

rocky2track

I see the commission approved some changes at their Jan. 20 meeting to the shed antler season. It now includes the Platte Valley region along with the area west of the continental divide. Secondly, you now have to wait until noon on May 1st. No more midnight runs on the feedground areas and deer wintering areas. Here is the new revision.

Section 3. Collection of Shed Antlers or Horns. No person shall collect shed antlers or horns from big game animals on public land west of a line beginning at the Wyoming-Colorado state line at the intersection of U.S. Highway 287, northerly along said highway to U.S. Highway 30-287; northwesterly along said highway to Interstate Highway 80; westerly along said highway to the Pacific Branch of the Continental Divide; northwesterly along said divide to the southern boundary of Yellowstone National Park; westerly along said boundary to the Wyoming-Idaho state line, from January 1 through 12:00 p.m. May 1 of each calendar year.

Why not? Those critters have hard lives through the winter!!! What would be even better is make sure there all gone off the winter ranges which is later than May 1st usually!!
You obviously don't spend much, if any time, out in the outdoors in winter. Wintering deer hardly move out of your way when encountered. This notion that shed hunters or rabbit hunters, trappers, lion hunters or even hikers, stress wildlife is an unsubstantiated falsehood.

Shed seasons do nothing but cause more problems.

You obviously don't spend much, if any time, out in the outdoors in winter. Wintering deer hardly move out of your way when encountered. This notion that shed hunters or rabbit hunters, trappers, lion hunters or even hikers, stress wildlife is an unsubstantiated falsehood.

I somewhat agree with you JM77. There still are the gas well operators driving through the closed areas everyday past deer and the deer eventually get settled in after a couple weeks. And then the areas that aren't closed by the BLM, we can still access and it doesn't bother the deer. But, the lust for big deer antler is a little to great for some folks. There are all these studies now saying deer don't use a certain amount of area around a gas well, so public access is cut off but our well operations go on. It does feel like we are overregulated on this side of the state with the shed season and the BLM closures. Not sure we need both. I think the shed season has more affect then the BLM closures anymore. Damn, you feel like you're doing something wrong if your out on the BLM before May 1st even if you're just out walking or taking a horse for a ride. People automatically think you're out looking for sheds. The shed antler season has only helped build up the hype of shed horns. Its crazy on May 1st. I have a feeling the noon opener is only going to help fuel the craze though. I think its kinda dumb. The noon opener is really only driven by the elk feedground areas and the shed antler hunting pressure is only going to increase. I know the G&F has to unlock some gates, but that could have been done at 6 in the morning too. The potential monetary gain is really driven by elk antler. If there wasn't the potential of a monetary gain, if antler wasn't worth a dime, we wouldn't need this discussion. It used to be just locals out in the hills as a hobby. Hell, now its a spring carnival.

Shed seasons don’t cause problems people cause problems, and know for a fact people do the animals no good during this time of year. I go out on May 1st and there has already been people out there then I see elk running tongues hanging and see damn 4 wheelers bouncing out across the sage then they see me and disappear into a drainage!! Never seen them again and didn’t hear them either so I’m thinking they hid and shut off the machine.. so ya I say there is problems.

Shed seasons don’t cause problems people cause problems, and know for a fact people do the animals no good during this time of year. I go out on May 1st and there has already been people out there then I see elk running tongues hanging and see damn 4 wheelers bouncing out across the sage then they see me and disappear into a drainage!! Never seen them again and didn’t hear them either so I’m thinking they hid and shut off the machine.. so ya I say there is problems.
What are you saying? The guys on 4 wheelers are chasing the elk?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom