Shed hunters

3TOE

Very Active Member
I was just reading that NV passed a new shed hunting law in 2018 stating that in 6 of the counties you cannot she’d hunt from January 1st - April 30th. In the other 11 counties you can hunt year round.
I was just curious to know when the deer & elk start to shed their antlers here. Back east where I’m from the deer start around the end of January & generally all of the deer have shed their antlers by the end of February.
I was wondering if the same time tables are true for southern NV also?
Thanks!

I think it really depends on how healthy they are. If they’re in good shape and eating well I think they hold onto them longer. My experience with deer in the Northwest part of the state during drought years they could drop early as January 1. In good wet years when the feed is good they usually start dropping in late February.
I think the same would hold true on the southern end but maybe a couple of weeks later than up in the northern part.

I think it really depends on how healthy they are. If they’re in good shape and eating well I think they hold onto them longer. My experience with deer in the Northwest part of the state during drought years they could drop early as January 1. In good wet years when the feed is good they usually start dropping in late February.
I think the same would hold true on the southern end but maybe a couple of weeks later than up in the northern part.
Much appreciated! Thanks buckhorn. I’m having surgery this week on my foot & I was hoping after a few weeks of healing I might get to go out & do some walking / post season scouting.

Much appreciated thanks! After posting this thread I saw that there is actually a forum for shed hunting.
I read where a lot of people have a negative opinion on it due to the stress it causes to the animals after the harsh winter months.
I was just trying to think of something I could do while I was off from work that I generally would never be able to find time for.
I believe I will just leave the antlers out there for the mice to chew on & leave the animals alone.
Thanks guys!!!

Generally speaking it hasn’t been a ruff winter in Nevada the hardest part of shed hunting is competing with the crowds of people. I had a guy drive right above me and walked about 20 feet from me for a half mile it’s ridiculous nowadays. If your out walking and not trying to pursue the herd I see nothing wrong with it.

Generally speaking it hasn’t been a ruff winter in Nevada the hardest part of shed hunting is competing with the crowds of people. I had a guy drive right above me and walked about 20 feet from me for a half mile it’s ridiculous nowadays. If your out walking and not trying to pursue the herd I see nothing wrong with it.
Thank you for the info. The winter has been extremely mild where I would go here near Vegas. I was just trying to think of something fun to do in a few weeks when I get back on my feet from my surgery since I’ve never actually shed hunted before. . I would have zero intentions of harassing the animals at all. Thanks again!!!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom