Shed Hunting Southern Utah Help

WIDOW_MAKER

Ok, I know that a lot of people are not going to give away any of there secret spots, but my brother and I are wanting to go on a shed hunting trip to Southern Utah... we are from ut county and the shed hunting is way tough here... we are heading maybe to the Henry Mountains for deer sheds, San Juan unit for deer and elk, Pavant for elk, or AZ strip for deer. We haven't been to any of these areas before, but we have heard of some great success in these areas... If any of you have some info on where we could go for a weekend where we have some good chances of finding a few good sheds pm me!

Thanks

WIDOW_MAKER

for the henry mountains i would head to the henries for those sheds. San juan for the deer and elk i would head in the san juan area, pavant surrounding areas for elk, and down on the AZ strip for the deer down there, im from utah valley too its tough up here true but still your more likely to get my social security number than my worst shed hunting spot. let alone the spots i go to get my big ones cause these days they are getting far and few between. no offense but im not askin for your girlfriends number, id sugguest and youll get 10 more messages like this but head down there find bare south facing slopes and hit it hard. best of luck.

There's liars, %$#*@ liars, and then there are shed hunters. No way you are going to get much help figuring out where to scoop up bone. Just put the boots to the ground.

Good Christ thats all we need is one more utah county moron comin down here. Every tree we walk around we run into an 801'er that doesnt know jack about where he is he's just there because he HEARD that theres been good horns picked up there or a decent buck was killed there!!! My advice, go into you bedroom rub a little vasoline on the back of your neck and around the rim and pull your head out because this is the wrong place to be lookin for advice about where to go!

>Good Christ thats all we need
>is one more utah county
>moron comin down here. Every
>tree we walk around we
>run into an 801'er that
>doesnt know jack about where
>he is he's just there
>because he HEARD that theres
>been good horns picked up
>there or a decent buck
>was killed there!!! My advice,
>go into you bedroom rub
>a little vasoline on the
>back of your neck and
>around the rim and pull
>your head out because this
>is the wrong place to
>be lookin for advice about
>where to go!

If they heard there was horns picked up there, I think it's a great place to start. I'm an 801'er, and I hope to run into you down south. I love how you guy's think you own that end of the state.

Sagewalker, we can't head to Wyoming until May 1st, until then we will be down south, and Nevada. Hornkiller good to see your back, were the hell you been.

Ummm..yeah. Since you mentioned it; Nevada doesn't care for any shed-huntin' tourists...especially you lazy ones on wheels or even the horseback crews. If you want to hike the hills, that might be agreeable. Oh, and there is an out-of-state shed hunting fee of $250 now - payable to those of us who care. Thanks.

my labtop had a fan go out fried some stuff so i had to wait for dell to send me my new desktop you been out hikin?

Southern Utah... go to a place called Greasewood Canyon by Lisbon Valley. Used to see alot there. Been awhile since Ive been there and dont have plans to go back since Im in Idaho. Hope I didnt give out anyones honey hole. BTW, how do you send a PM on here?

Scout the LE units for winter range. When you see animals in an area in Febuary, that's probably a good place to shed hunt. Same thing for elk. Watch them mid March and then go up when they start dropping. Shed hunting is a matter of finding winter range. If you can find large concentrations of wildlife in an area, you should have success.
Those "Tines up" guys clean up the LEs pretty good, so don't think you wont have any competition. People watch those LE animals night and day until they drop.

I guess all this site is good for is bragging rights and pride. I thought coming here was a way of getting help and tips with hunting.

I wouldn't give someone an "exact" location as to where to hunt or pick up sheds, but I would help with general locations.
Hunting, whether it be for sheds or animals, is for everyone to enjoy and to claim a state or part of state, as your own, seems a little ridiculous. I may not make friends and I expect the usual harsh comments that come for making comments such as these, but apparently hunting isn't what it used to be.

I'm very appreciative of anyone that points me in a general direction to hike/hunt. I'll put in the hours to hike, scout etc... I'm not from Southern Utah, I'm a "northern Utah prick" as so indicated, I've never hunted or shed hunted southern utah. I was under the impression we were all friends here with common interests, but it looks like it's every man for himself.

This is my own two opinions, take it or leave it, I understand the hills and woods are getting crowded these days and it gets harder every year. I experience it just as everyone else. Being selfish doesn't seem to solve anything. Seems to me that the fighting, bickering and pride among ourselves is just hurting us. This site has declined since I joined it 8 years ago and I don't see it getting any better unless we fight together to make hunting better rather than fighting with each other to make it worse.

Thanks to all who have helped on this site. It is appreciated!

nevada !and bring you 4 wheelers! they are to poor to own any so hammer on 4 wheelers and your sure to find some ! lol

?It takes a genius to whine appealingly.?
Mr.Whiny

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-10 AT 01:49PM (MST)[p]Hey!!! There are no sheds in Nevada!!! You would have better luck on the Wasatch front. Try Cottonwood and Little Cottonwood canyons. :)

My favorite part about hunting Southern Utah is driving by the "local" camps, where they have been on lawn chairs for 2 weeks prior to the hunt to make sure that nobody took "their" camping spot, and then having them ask from their 4-wheeler "Hey youz, where bouts did you shoot that there buck at?, I ain't seen none from my wheeler".....

they are almost as bad as Basin folk....

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

Best advice I can give you is to use google earth and just go. It's worth the trip irregardless of knowing the area. If you put in the time you won't go home empty handed. Most of those areas have so many deer and elk that it's impossible for all of the sheds to be picked up and every area hit. PM me and I'll give you some areas to check out on the Pahvant and AZ strip.

Southern Utah... go to a place called Greasewood Canyon by Lisbon Valley. Used to see alot there. Been awhile since Ive been there and dont have plans to go back since Im in Idaho. Hope I didnt give out anyones honey hole. BTW, how do you send a PM on here? I live around Lisbon, a honey hole for elk or deer?

Southern Utah... go to a place called Greasewood Canyon by Lisbon Valley. Used to see alot there. Been awhile since Ive been there and dont have plans to go back since Im in Idaho. Hope I didnt give out anyones honey hole. BTW, how do you send a PM on here?
I live around there and just turned 16 and want to get out, it was a honey hole for elk or deer?

Even if someone gives you a honey hole, there's no guarantees.

There's degenerates out there who think watching animals til the minute they drop then 'slowly move in while the animal moves off' to grab the antler is an acceptable way to spend Jan-April every year.

The best part about finding a shed is the surprise of it all... Walking up on something that is total happenstance is a great bit of buck fever.!

So, get to where you want to shed hunt, start in lowland or south facing hillsides, and start walking around.!! Good luck.!!

Even if someone gives you a honey hole, there's no guarantees.

There's degenerates out there who think watching animals til the minute they drop then 'slowly move in while the animal moves off' to grab the antler is an acceptable way to spend Jan-April every year.

The best part about finding a shed is the surprise of it all... Walking up on something that is total happenstance is a great bit of buck fever.!

So, get to where you want to shed hunt, start in lowland or south facing hillsides, and start walking around.!! Good luck.!!
I wouldn’t mind having a winter range closure until march 1st for certain areas of public land to stop that kind of stuff. Maybe even do a similar closure for elk winter range too. Honestly the amount of competition we deal with nowadays is ridiculous, seems like I am never first into a spot.

Most guys in Utah start with a large bait pile then you install a 5’ fence around the pile. Let’s say 20’ by 20’ , the Deer will jump fence to get to the bait and there horns will pop off. Show up around April first and there will be a bunch of horn around your bait pile. I can give you some more tips if you give me your girl friends phone number

Most guys in Utah start with a large bait pile then you install a 5’ fence around the pile. Let’s say 20’ by 20’ , the Deer will jump fence to get to the bait and there horns will pop off. Show up around April first and there will be a bunch of horn around your bait pile. I can give you some more tips if you give me your girl friends phone number
While tongue-in-cheek... I'm guessing this is actually an idea that people do on private lands. I went coyote hunting a few years back on a guys ranch (got one dog), but the deer were definitely piled up in one area where he fed his sheep every other day. I bet they pull a pile of antlers from that spot, even without the fence idea mentioned above.

I wouldn’t mind having a winter range closure until march 1st for certain areas of public land to stop that kind of stuff. Maybe even do a similar closure for elk winter range too. Honestly the amount of competition we deal with nowadays is ridiculous, seems like I am never first into a spot.
I agree...

That’s cuz you’re too busy watching videos of your boys Chang

There aren't any secret shed hunting spots anymore with all the technology available to everyone. Look at the places you picked up horns in the past and figure out all the similarities between them and use that to pick out new areas. Like I said there's no secrets just those willing to hike and pick up antlers and those who aren't

Here’s a couple of hours worth of sheds we found within a 20 min drive of a city of about 350,000 people. There still are secret spots. I know of a couple in WY and CO.

70148159-DE6D-48AF-A766-04D7BA6C400E.jpeg

Just because you picked up horns in the same spot every year doesn't mean it's a secret spot lol I do it every year too I find allot of horns and it's not because of secret spots

Just because you picked up horns in the same spot every year doesn't mean it's a secret spot lol I do it every year too I find allot of horns and it's not because of secret spots
True, but when you find all the big bulls every year and for consecutive years pretty sure that’s a secret spot. And the fact all the antlers you find and leave behind are still there every time you go back.

The trip we that I posted the above pic I think we only brought out 12 antlers. I stopped counting well over 50.

I can’t wait for spring…

Here’s a couple of hours worth of sheds we found within a 20 min drive of a city of about 350,000 people. There still are secret spots. I know of a couple in WY and CO.

View attachment 69578
Awesome pile of paddles there, colorado seems pretty over played, but I still go looking for those secret spots every spring haha, it’s a good way to scout new areas with a little added incentive

I was down yesterday looking at a giant pile of Moose Antler, Pet Smart has the market on Moose Antler all being cut up into Dog Chews

Well muley sin my area are another story. Let’s just say I pick up 100 elk to 1 brown muley shed. Not doing so good around here

All the closures do is keep the honest people out. Doesn’t matter which state it’s in.

I would go to the Basin for the best shed hunting, there are also some pretty hot women in that area

Thank you, guys! I would love to find good places for deer and elk sheds! Where are your best spots to find sheds by or near an object?

Thank you, guys! I would love to find good places for deer and elk sheds! Where are your best spots to find sheds by or near an object?
By or near an object should have you in the zone. Let us know if you need any more pointers. Looks like you’re dialing in to becoming the envy of IG!

The best time to find sheds is before they shed, get out there & run em down on your wheeler or SXS . If the state has a shed season get out there a good month before it opens to have the best shot at the most horns. Any fields or lands that are Posted No Trespassing or are painted orange red ETC seem to have a bunch around. Some times if your lucky you can find a dude that scored on some & has them in the back of his truck watch & when he stops to take a piss scoop up a few & post them so we can see

I started off looking for Easter eggs then I "saw" them sheds after training my eyes. Find a honey hole and attach a garden rake behind your atv. You can really cover alot of ground that way

Well if there are a lot of hunters near you, you will get unlucky and get no antlers. If you are like me I go somewhere where there are no hunters and look for places that have BLM land on it and look around there.

I’d recommend going out now you might have the whole mountain to yourself. Call 1-800-622-DEER to have those sheds scored at the end of the day. They’ll send out a licensed scorer to let you know how you did.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom