Shed Hunting-WY Resident Head Start

Good. I like to hear states looking out for their residents and wildlife. I wonder if in the future this will find its way into hunting season too. Not sure if that would be good though.

I see people not obeying it you can bet my phone would be making a call , just sayin
I used to but at this point I probably won't anymore. I have spent so much time on the winter range and since 2015 outside of when I was watching "the king" I have seen 2 fish and game trucks ever on the winter range. If they want to keep adding to this law then they can enforce it...

I used to but at this point I probably won't anymore. I have spent so much time on the winter range and since 2015 outside of when I was watching "the king" I have seen 2 fish and game trucks ever on the winter range. If they want to keep adding to this law then they can enforce it...
I only really go to the winter range for the shed hunt so I can't say as for the rest of the year but I usually see them running around the day before the opener where I go. But it also seems to get poached every year so ?

Just concentrate on out of state plates.—-SS
I wouldnt do this if it was a law but what about if my dad and my cousins who live in utah came up and we just took my truck up? Like I said we wouldn't if it was a law but everyone in wyoming has out of state buddies that could just jump in with them.

I'm not 100% against shed laws. Shed hunting has gotten out of hand but I am against them adding more laws when they can't enforce the ones they already have in place.

Last edited:
They can't even enforce the shed law now.. how do they plan on watching that?
It depends on where you are. Last year my son and I were bear hunting and ran into 4 officers enforcing the laws days before the shed season began. They had written 4 tickets and had one guy sitting on a pile waiting for the person to come pick them up. They observed the guy piling sheds early and knew his vehicle etc.

I think I they want to enforce it, but there is so much land and it is pretty hard to catch a person.

I wouldnt do this if it was a law but what about if my dad and my cousins who live in utah came up and we just took my truck up? Like I said we wouldn't if it was a law but everyone in wyoming has out of state buddies that could just jump in with them.

I'm not 100% against shed laws. Shed hunting has gotten out of hand but I am against them adding more laws when they can't enforce the ones they already have in place.
That's where requiring a permit comes into play hopefully that goes through too

While they are at it, why not make a violation of the Shed Season like a wildlife violation. And take away hunting privileges for three years, and not just shed hunting privileges. I mean if you're going to have seasons, permits, fees, etc. then might as well make violations of said seasons and regulations have some teeth.

I am in favor of states looking out for their own as well. And I am also in favor of trying to get people to leave animals on winter range alone. But where does the line get drawn? How far is too far when it comes to seasons, fees, rules and consequences of violating said rules?

I am not a shed hunting fanatic, but do enjoy finding and picking them up when I come across them in the field.

While they are at it, why not make a violation of the Shed Season like a wildlife violation. And take away hunting privileges for three years, and not just shed hunting privileges. I mean if you're going to have seasons, permits, fees, etc. then might as well make violations of said seasons and regulations have some teeth.

I am in favor of states looking out for their own as well. And I am also in favor of trying to get people to leave animals on winter range alone. But where does the line get drawn? How far is too far when it comes to seasons, fees, rules and consequences of violating said rules?

I am not a shed hunting fanatic, but do enjoy finding and picking them up when I come across them in the field.
I have thought this action was I smart idea, if they are caught they lose the ability to apply in WY for 3 years. No points, no tags etc.

I usually point out when the G&F is not to blame for stupid laws from dumb ideas. Shed laws are different. They deserve all the criticism they get.
In order to advance the cause, the then Director of G&F told an interim legislative committee he "heard" of people chasing elk and knocking off antlers with baseball bats! Meanwhile, all across Wyoming there are January seasons to hunt elk on the winter range. And later seasons than that are soon to happen. But remember; if you see a shed during January while you are elk hunting in western Wyoming, don't touch it!
I have always advocated to hit this issue where it can do some real good: protect critical winter range from all human traffic and get tough with true wildlife harassing offenders.

I usually point out when the G&F is not to blame for stupid laws from dumb ideas. Shed laws are different. They deserve all the criticism they get.
In order to advance the cause, the then Director of G&F told an interim legislative committee he "heard" of people chasing elk and knocking off antlers with baseball bats! Meanwhile, all across Wyoming there are January seasons to hunt elk on the winter range. And later seasons than that are soon to happen. But remember; if you see a shed during January while you are elk hunting in western Wyoming, don't touch it!
I have always advocated to hit this issue where it can do some real good: protect critical winter range from all human traffic and get tough with true wildlife harassing offenders.
I also think the shed season is dumb but if we must have one I agree residents first

Oh ps even if you see a shed after January 1st it's considered illegal whether you touch it or not. I have a framed warning in my shed room for that

Would it be only State land or Gov't land too.
seems like they can control the State land, But making a law for all the Govt land could be a issue.

seems like they can control the State land, But making a law for all the Govt land could be a issue.
Nope, wildlife and their parts belong to the state regardless of public, private, federal lands. They get to manage them however they choose.........as it should be with many more issues as well.--SS

WY keeps DIY NRs off federal wilderness all season long for big game hunting. Doubt they would have any trouble keeping you off federal land (x 3 days) for shed hunting if they wanted to.

But WY would probably let you go guided shed hunting those 3 days!

Nope, wildlife and their parts belong to the state regardless of public, private, federal lands. They get to manage them however they choose.........as it should be with many more issues as well.--SS
This is not correct. There is no law saying a shed antler belongs to the state. The two bills are trying to make sheds on public land the property of the state, but not on private land. These are unchartered waters for this idea and there could be issues in the future surrounding this.

NR will be buying GPS coordinates for antlers

I will start it off, i know of a few 400 class bull sheds laying around in the hills

If the Gov't decide to take control of their lands I'm guessing they could get it done might take awhile BUT if was a Cash Cow they will try.

Here's a novel idea.

Include antlers in the Lacey Act. You don't need "shed laws" to "protect"(see JM above post) wildlife at vulnerable times, if you simply make antler sales illegal.

Until this commercial market came to be, which is mostly exporting American Wildlife products overseas, virtually no one picked up a horn, let alone harassed animals for them.

We watch as animals struggle in winter, then decide right as they are at their weakest, and trying to recoup, that it's a great idea to have idiots harassing them on search of horns to send to Asia.

Our ancestors knew that a commercial market for wildlife parts meant no wildlife. Just another area they were smarter than us.

I don’t get the enthusiasm for shed hunting. Would rather spend my springtime Flyfishing and turkey hunting.

For me it just not about the sheds. Its getting the dog out, taking the kids for a river bottom trip, getting the horses in shape.

Finding sheds is just a bonus. Its a major bonus when my son was 9 at the time found a double main beam whitey with a drop tine, then at 10 years old he found a whitey that had triple brow tines on both sides.

I have never witnessed people chasing animals to get antlers to fall off. We dont have a shed season where i am but if one came all the trail heads will still be full in late march till fall. So many people get out just to ride horses.

Worst thing i have seen is G&F chasing 400 cow elk with a helicopter on the hoo doo ranch. This was late april so not far from dropping calves. They were trying to push the elk off the ranch and back up Carter mountain. Poor elk go up and come right back down. Lasted long enough to where they had to refill and went back to chasing. Finally they got the elk off. Next day the elk were back. The like to come down to the oil fields to get warmth on the underground pipelines and also the good feed.

For me it just not about the sheds. Its getting the dog out, taking the kids for a river bottom trip, getting the horses in shape.

Finding sheds is just a bonus. Its a major bonus when my son was 9 at the time found a double main beam whitey with a drop tine, then at 10 years old he found a whitey that had triple brow tines on both sides.

I have never witnessed people chasing animals to get antlers to fall off. We dont have a shed season where i am but if one came all the trail heads will still be full in late march till fall. So many people get out just to ride horses.

Worst thing i have seen is G&F chasing 400 cow elk with a helicopter on the hoo doo ranch. This was late april so not far from dropping calves. They were trying to push the elk off the ranch and back up Carter mountain. Poor elk go up and come right back down. Lasted long enough to where they had to refill and went back to chasing. Finally they got the elk off. Next day the elk were back. The like to come down to the oil fields to get warmth on the underground pipelines and also the good feed.
That's also all the shed season does. Pushes the elk back up the mtn may first weather they are ready to go back up or not some years they aren't ready yet too much snow up high still on the first

Would need a 5 week head start in Co to beat all the guys who have been picking them up since mid March haha

I have 5 wyoming plated trucks we'll start the bidding ?
GW told me once up there if the horse trailer has Wyoming plates they didn't bother riding in to check their lic. I Thanks him for information and told him from now on I would stop at a truck stop and lift a couple of Wyoming plates and put them on my trailer.
They just laughed. This happen up in unit H

?
1675137247920.gif

Oh man look at the beard on that turkey! Are those two inch spurs?
Definitely struck a chord on that one SS. Maybe it’s the fact that you got caught in the transgender bathroom with another guy at some point. So quit changing the subject with your fascination for homosexuality.

I just can’t understand the shed hunting craze over the last 20 years. It’s gotten to the extreme of shed seasons to help herds from expiring from exasperation at the expense of passionate collectors. Now the separation of the NR from the resident. What’s next? Shed youth seasons statewide? LE shed hunts for AI or WY after an expensive application?

I do miss the days I could walk on the winter range and incidentally find copious sheds. That was 30 plus years ago. We wouldn’t even pick them up! Now I admit to keeping them when I see them as they are rarer than ever before. But you calling me gay for turkey hunting and Flyfishing over shed hunting is a first. Didn’t know that picking up white chalky bone made you feel superior to others.

Men always find a way to everything gay, for some reason they are just fixated on being gay. Makes me wonder why but not hard to figure out.

The fish and game are really smart ,they will watch from a distant point and if they see someone with out a cowboy hat on they will know its a Non resident and go after them . :) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Definitely struck a chord on that one SS. Maybe it’s the fact that you got caught in the transgender bathroom with another guy at some point. So quit changing the subject with your fascination for homosexuality.

I just can’t understand the shed hunting craze over the last 20 years. It’s gotten to the extreme of shed seasons to help herds from expiring from exasperation at the expense of passionate collectors. Now the separation of the NR from the resident. What’s next? Shed youth seasons statewide? LE shed hunts for AI or WY after an expensive application?

I do miss the days I could walk on the winter range and incidentally find copious sheds. That was 30 plus years ago. We wouldn’t even pick them up! Now I admit to keeping them when I see them as they are rarer than ever before. But you calling me gay for turkey hunting and Flyfishing over shed hunting is a first. Didn’t know that picking up white chalky bone made you feel superior to others.
You can’t understand something so you want to tell us what you do for fun instead?

Fly fishermen are the fairies of the outdoor world. Add in a fly fishermen that hunts turkey and that’s probably the most sensitive individual you’re going to come across outdoors. Such an individual spends his free time on forums telling everyone how they don’t understand others choice in their hobbies. And when they find something they don’t agree with they smash that report button in the corner of the forum.

Fly fishermen are the Karen’s of the world. And I don’t care that you’re gay. How you chose to get off is none of my business.

They sell dildos made out of elk sheds now. Just sayin’

You can’t understand something so you want to tell us what you do for fun instead?

Fly fishermen are the fairies of the outdoor world. Add in a fly fishermen that hunts turkey and that’s probably the most sensitive individual you’re going to come across outdoors. Such an individual spends his free time on forums telling everyone how they don’t understand others choice in their hobbies. And when they find something they don’t agree with they smash that report button in the corner of the forum.

Fly fishermen are the Karen’s of the world. And I don’t care that you’re gay. How you chose to get off is none of my business.

They sell dildos made out of elk sheds now. Just sayin’
Haha SS nobody’s offended by you. Just keep your elk antler dildos to yourself. No one wants to hear about it. Just saying.

As a non-resident of Wyoming who enjoys shed hunting I would fully support it being 100-0 for residents until the fall. I would honestly like to see major restrictions placed on the sale of them as well. I do think if a guy gets lucky and finds one during a hunt, he should be able to pick it up.

Eventually the Utah based wildlife exploiters and influencers will only have their own wildlife to exploit. All the states around them will have laws in place keeping them penned up until June.

Looks like the other bill will pass, pending consensus on amendments, and NR will have to possess a conservation stamp to shed hunt.

I believe also the Commission is empowered by the legislature to change the season if they so choose.

"23‑1‑302. Powers and duties.

(a) The commission is directed and empowered:

(xxxi) To regulate and control the collection of shed antlers and horns of big game animals for the purpose of minimizing the harassment or disturbance of big game populations on public lands west of Interstate 90 from the Wyoming‑Montana state line to Buffalo and west of Interstate 25 from Buffalo to the Wyoming‑Colorado state line any time during the year, subject to the provisions for bighorn sheep horns in W.S. 23‑3‑117. Pursuant to this paragraph during the period beginning 6:00 a.m. on May 1 and ending June 30, the commission shall require nonresidents to obtain a conservation stamp for the collection of big game animal shed antlers and horns on public lands. A conservation stamp shall not be required for residents of Wyoming, any person under fifteen (15) years of age or for the collection of shed antlers and horns by or on behalf of a nonprofit organization. The commission shall adopt rules necessary to issue a conservation stamp under this paragraph;

Section 2. The game and fish commission shall promulgate all rules necessary to implement the provisions of this act.'

There were some Senate amendments, the bill will go to a concurrence committee first.
I'm not politically intelligent, but how i read what's going on.. cause senate made amendments it goes back through the house and upon being passed there again, will move onto governor?

Just like they enforce anything they see people out in the field and they'll ask to see you conservation/antler stamp now. Or wyoming ID of some sort

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom