Shed hunting

Yep, it's funny til it happens.
I'm betting law enforcement will be out in force if they do it.

I am staying home!! Never left the house today. I see I can't come into UT for any non-essential reason. Good for your state government. They get it!! The more of us that stay home, the quicker this crap ends.

Grapevine around Sublette County says there's been a big push by Sublette and Teton govt's asking the state to delay the May 1st shed season to both residents and non and open at a later date. Grapevine also says G&F regional offices have discussed and state is now deciding how they'd go about enforcing such a b.s. rule...

Grapevine around Sublette County says there's been a big push by Sublette and Teton govt's asking the state to delay the May 1st shed season to both residents and non and open at a later date. Grapevine also says G&F regional offices have discussed and state is now deciding how they'd go about enforcing such a b.s. rule...

Same way they enforce the shed closure now?

Not much needs to change other than an arbitrary date, which the Commission already has the authority to change.

Understand. But why would you close to residents if what I'm hearing is true? There's dozen of boats getting on the local waters, concentrating people at the parking areas to go fishing but they'd consider closing an activity that is about as socially distant as you can be. What I'm I missing here? Is the State that afraid of non-residents coming into the State and not being able to enforce their 14-day quarantine rule?

Understand. But why would you close to residents if what I'm hearing is true? There's dozen of boats getting on the local waters, concentrating people at the parking areas to go fishing but they'd consider closing an activity that is about as socially distant as you can be. What I'm I missing here? Is the State that afraid of non-residents coming into the State and not being able to enforce their 14-day quarantine rule?
I don't think they can wait too much longer and then expect that they can reach everyone to let them know of the change. When it comes to antler hunting, there is no way to reach all participants in a quick manner. If they close it just a few days prior, there'll be many people showing up having no idea it's been closed.

It might be reasonable to keep the state managed areas and access pts such as the feed grounds and federal managed national elk refuge closed... a big might IMO. But to try and keep folks off the other millions of acres of public lands....come on now. I'm assuming the Jackson Boy Scouts won't be on the refuge collecting sheds prior to the May 1 opener since Teton Co. was granted to extended their Stay at Home order. Maybe they are in small groups? Perhaps someone can comment on this? $100,000's of thousands of $$$ laying out there if they don't pick them up first. Is this push to extend the shed opener more $$$ driven then pandemic driven?

You can bet if they close it signage will be posted on highways and at access points.
Wyoming is possibly on a curve to get our state opened back up to some form of business again. If keeping NR out for another few weeks helps then so be it. Your President stated we need to not have a big rebound after a soft opening to remain in Phase 1.
If you think sheds are more important than getting our state back open then I don't have a clue what to say to that.

What is the difference in people coming from out of state to hunt sheds vs. people going back into restaurants, gyms, barbers, banks and the like? People in the hills won't be around other people. Most wont even have to stop for gas to get back home.

If you think sheds are more important than getting our state back open then I don't have a clue what to say to that.

You can say that with sheds and fishing and spring bear & turkey, can't you? How many boats are floating down the Platte and Green River today? Parking lots filled? What's the real reason wytex? I'll comply with whatever comes down from the State, but you've got to wonder what the real reason is. Wouldn't Wyoming be saying it cannot control the non-residents that would be coming to the State to collect sheds? Yet sheds have been being collected in central Wyoming for months now and at a higher rate by residents since this pandemic started.

There is not many people fishing here at all! Wyoming is not selling non resident daily fishing liceneces rite now and if your trip is less then 14 days you must remain quarantined for the duration of your stay its rite on the game and fish website

The problem the state is facing right now is of their own doing: shed seasons. If anyone on here thinks east of the divide is crowded with shed hunters, they don't know what they are talking about. Especially with elk sheds, it requires miles and miles of walking big open country. It's nothing like Jackson Hole.

Because surrounding states allow people to shed hunt anytime, all those folks pile into western Wyoming all at the same time. As far as why shed hunters get picked on and not other groups? It's all because shed hunters are second class citizens you know. If you shed hunt you have only the rights the Commission will give you thanks to legislators that know jack about shed hunting. If you shed hunt you are either a money hungry low-life or some kind of sick wildlife harasser. Just ask all the conservation groups!

If states are really concerned about the virus like they say, they need to shut down all but essential activity to border crossers. My 2 cents...

Last edited:
They may shut down the Jackson fiasco...but I guarantee no where else will be...and our local store IS selling non-resident fishing licenses..I checked yesterday..THEY GOT NO WORMS THOUGH!!

They may shut down the Jackson fiasco...but I guarantee no where else will be...and our local store IS selling non-resident fishing licenses..I checked yesterday..THEY GOT NO WORMS THOUGH!!

Teton is just telling people to stay away. Sublette & Lincoln Cnty have made no announcement. I've got a feeling that many of those teton locals that have been out of work will be out in force around Jackson. Good place to stay away from anyways. G&F only suspended 1 & 5 day fishing license sales to NonRes. They can still buy an annual and 14-day quarantine then go fishing. No need for worms Longun, I've found the fishing has been good enough lately using about anything down around your area that I just may put shed hunting on the backburner. ;)

The problem the state is facing right now is of their own doing: shed seasons. If anyone on here thinks east of the divide is crowded with shed hunters, they don't know what they are talking about. Especially with elk sheds, it requires miles and miles of walking big open country. It's nothing like Jackson Hole.

Because surrounding states allow people to shed hunt anytime, all those folks pile into western Wyoming all at the same time. As far as why shed hunters get picked on and not other groups? It's all because shed hunters are second class citizens you know. If you shed hunt you have only the rights the Commission will give you thanks to legislators that know jack about shed hunting. If you shed hunt you are either a money hungry low-life or some kind of sick wildlife harasser. Just ask all the conservation groups!

If states are really concerned about the virus like they say, they need to shut down all but essential activity to border crossers. My 2 cents...
That's funny Jim's, didn't you have a whole thread on how your Turkey hunt should go on ?

Looks like Governor Gordon extended the 14 day quarantine requirement till May 8. I feel this is a completely unnecessary requirement.

I second that motion S.S. but the wife an I found 24 antlers the first day and 14 yesterday...I doubt I go anymore..my butt is pretty saddle sore..

This 14 day quarantine thing is total bs. It says both residents and non-residents. I personally know a group from Jackson who went golfing in Rexburg. I doubt any of them self quarantined when they went back to Jackson. I’m seeing a lot of wy plates on the Henrys fork in Idaho doubt any of them are self quarantining either when they return to Wyoming. Same with Montana, total bs.

All I saw were Utah plates in Wyoming, also saw the game and fish patrolling, said there wasn’t many deer left in the area after the past few bad winters

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom