Sheds off of bucks you have shot?

Wyo_Roadhunter

Thought it would be fun to see who has been lucky enough to find sheds off of bucks they have shot. Here are a couple that I found the sheds off of then was lucky enough to shoot. The 1st is my 2017 30" buck. I found 2 years of sheds off of him that spring and was able to take him that fall. The next was a fluke I found the shed and @juice sent me pictures of the buck before he shed. He was a non typical on one side and a straight 4 on the other. When I shot him he switched the inline to the straight 4 side.

IMG_2895.JPG

2017 deer 2.jpg

2017 deer 1.jpg

IMG_20200918_130454_511.jpg

2020 deer 1.jpg

2020 deer 2.jpg

Man, I wish I could plan along, but I don't have any that I'm sure of. I have one that might could be off the same buck, but it's probably a long shot, as I found the antler in 2006 and killed the buck in 2011 about 500 yards apart. The antlers look a bit similar, but no slam dunk same buck thing.

That's really cool that you've found the antlers and killed the bucks. Really cool.

Edit with pic anyway
FD962EAF-BAAF-4B39-AD27-8A6579DD8DB2.jpeg

Man, I wish I could plan along, but I don't have any that I'm sure of. I have one that might could be off the same buck, but it's probably a long shot, as I found the antler in 2006 and killed the buck in 2011 about 500 yards apart. The antlers look a bit similar, but no slam dunk same buck thing.

That's really cool that you've found the antlers and killed the bucks. Really cool.

Edit with pic anyway
View attachment 24072
That looks like the same deer to me... if not, it's creepy how similar they are. That is a long time in between but is it possible he was just super old? Or is it his older brother or dad? Something like that?

Edit with pic anyway
View attachment 24072
Looks close enough to me to say it is!

That looks like the same deer to me... if not, it's creepy how similar they are. That is a long time in between but is it possible he was just super old? Or is it his older brother or dad? Something like that?
He was old when I killed him.

Those are some sweet bucks. I only have one that I think can't from the same buck and it's nothing big. What's weird about it though is when I found the shed. I was out looking on Halloween when I noticed a white faced deer. I got my spotter and saw this buck had shed both sides. My friend had said during the rifle hunt there was a one antlered 4 point, but just assumed it broke off. I only found the one side, but a year later hunting the same hill I walked up on the buck I harvested and immediately remembered that shed. I was hesitant to pull him by the antlers.

IMG_20191122_222207_057.jpg

Those are some sweet bucks. I only have one that I think can't from the same buck and it's nothing big. What's weird about it though is when I found the shed. I was out looking on Halloween when I noticed a white faced deer. I got my spotter and saw this buck had shed both sides. My friend had said during the rifle hunt there was a one antlered 4 point, but just assumed it broke off. I only found the one side, but a year later hunting the same hill I walked up on the buck I harvested and immediately remembered that shed. I was hesitant to pull him by the antlers.

View attachment 24124
Thats awesome! Way weird he shed in October though

That's awesome! I wish I could say the same. I have shot zero bucks over 185, and have found zero antlers of bucks I've shot.....unless you count my first buck when I was 14, when I shot its antler off and found it by my dead buck.
I will try to get picture up in the next few days. Going to have to do some digging to find the all the sheds.

Dad and I shot this buck way back in 1981. We first saw the buck on Thanksgiving day, but that was not our day. The last day of the season he was back in nearly the same place and we learned from our previous mistakes.
I found one of the sheds in Aug. of 81 and the match in in Feb of 82. The single I picked out of a neighbors shed pile.
Antlers were about two miles from where we shot the buck.
81 nontypical.jpg
DSCN3680.JPG

This buck was from 1994. I first saw the buck in the summer of 93, but never hunted him as I took a different buck the first week of the season. Went looking for him that Dec. and found the right antler. Back in Jan of 94 found the match, and saw the buck so I knew he survived the season. That spring and summer I spent many a hour looking for the 94 sheds, Never found them, but did turn up two more from earlier years. That fall I found him the first week of the season.
SCAN_20190207_191102140.jpg
DSCN3682.JPG

I’ve got sheds off 3 bucks that our family has killed. I killed 2, my brother killed the other. I’ve got one more “maybe”, but it’s hard to tell with as young as he was from the shed.

I shot this buck back in 99. Found the shed a year or two later. Aso found a few smaller antlers from the buck, but parted with them before I shot him. Kind of kicking myself for selling them now.
Tallest buck I have seen alive with G2's of 19 2/8 and 20 4/8.
99 buck.jpg
DSCN3689.JPG

I found this shed on heavily hunted public land in 2006. Had a close encounter with the buck with archery gear in September but passed on the shot because I was not convinced I would be able to recover him in the dark and rain. Hunted hard for him but never saw him again until I got him the last week of the rifle season.
horns_sky.JPG
DSCN3693.JPG

Found this buck during a 3rd season Colorado hunt but he broke his typical side off. Went back the next year looking for him and On the third day of the hunt I found his shed, told my uncle and buddy I was sleeping with his antler under my pillow for good luck The very next morning I killed him 300 yards from where I found his shed.

We have killed two over 200” and a mid 180 in the same canyon and found their sheds
94A3163A-0E03-4832-BB5D-D7858B0B326C.png

163056AD-56FD-4CF9-96DF-DF11FE3A18FF.png
9976B536-ADD6-406D-B791-BAF9ED0C7547.png

I shot this buck back in 99. Found the shed a year or two later. Aso found a few smaller antlers from the buck, but parted with them before I shot him. Kind of kicking myself for selling them now.
Tallest buck I have seen alive with G2's of 19 2/8 and 20 4/8.View attachment 24461View attachment 24462
I shot a buck in 2016 that looks almost the same as that buck but the cheater is out the opposite side and not quite as long. I think I like tall narrow bucks more than wide haha.

IMG_0006.JPG

I shot a buck in 2016 that looks almost the same as that buck but the cheater is out the opposite side and not quite as long. I think I like tall narrow bucks more than wide haha.

View attachment 24541
Great buck. I too like tall bucks. Seams like there are more of them in MT than the wide ones. The cheater on mine is sadly broken off and would have been much longer. He also has a five inch inline on the same G3 and a 2 inch point coming off the back of the left G2 that can not be seen in the pictures.

Edit: you can see just the tip of the point on the G2 against the box of the pickup.

07 buck shed.jpg

I found this little shed sitting out in the wide open while hiking around and then shot a buck just a few minutes and maybe 1/2 mile later. Just a small, young buck but I'm pretty sure it was his shed from the previous year.

Found this 30" deadhead deadhead winter kill. Then found shed one year later.

He was either hit by car or lion killed. His nose came off when boiling skull and remaining nose is very bruised/discolred from blood. Could be car impact or lion bite on nose to suffocate? Found in dry creekbed on same level as country road. I 've found many lion kills in the area over the years.

20210218_174657.jpg

Thought it would be fun to see who has been lucky enough to find sheds off of bucks they have shot. Here are a couple that I found the sheds off of then was lucky enough to shoot. The 1st is my 2017 30" buck. I found 2 years of sheds off of him that spring and was able to take him that fall. The next was a fluke I found the shed and @juice sent me pictures of the buck before he shed. He was a non typical on one side and a straight 4 on the other. When I shot him he switched the inline to the straight 4 side.

View attachment 24044

View attachment 24045

View attachment 24046

View attachment 24047

View attachment 24048

View attachment 24049

View attachment 24541
Awesome, Nice buck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom