Sheep and deer draw results

I doubt that many max deer points nonresidents are stacking points to share anymore. Divide max by two and look at what you get? Is it worth 20+ years of nonresident license and application fees, plus the trip to take hunter education to get to share points once, eat the tag price then do it again once more where you have to hunt or eat the tag?

I doubt that many max deer points nonresidents are stacking points to share anymore. Divide max by two and look at what you get? Is it worth 20+ years of nonresident license and application fees, plus the trip to take hunter education to get to share points once, eat the tag price then do it again once more where you have to hunt or eat the tag?
He said “non hunters” not “non residents”.

Any credit card hits today?
Trying to keep positive, but things are not looking promising.
Thanks

They have today off since they didn't get their precious day off with the 4th on a weekend. Tomorrow will be the day to give up hope if no charges.

I hope they are not done with CC hits. Loosing my optimism.

AZGuy it’s looking like you were right.

I can not believe the point leap for 13NR points not to draw 12AW Early. Must be what I am going to call a shift in units. Guys applying for the strip realizing that max points will take 30 something years to clear max point pool, so they jump to late Kiabab. Then late Kiabab hunters not getting anywhere switch to early. Then early now takes forever.

Still keeping my fingers crossed.
Anyone know how many NR point it took to draw Kiabab archery?
Thanks

I hope they are not done with CC hits. Loosing my optimism.

AZGuy it’s looking like you were right.

I can not believe the point leap for 13NR points not to draw 12AW Early. Must be what I am going to call a shift in units. Guys applying for the strip realizing that max points will take 30 something years to clear max point pool, so they jump to late Kiabab. Then late Kiabab hunters not getting anywhere switch to early. Then early now takes forever.

Still keeping my fingers crossed.
Anyone know how many NR point it took to draw Kiabab archery?
Thanks
Guaranteed was 6 for Kaibab archery. Few guys drew with 5 in the bonus pass but not many.

They’re done with running cards. Might be a very very rare straggler that was next in line for a bad card but that doesn’t happen much anymore since they run it the am after update date. Anyone who’s claiming card hits now just didn’t know how to check their pending charges. Happens every year about 3-4 days later when pending charges become confirmed charges.

Guaranteed? Pretty disappointed! 8 NR pts and no draw for Kaibab archery 1st choice for me..
Its rough out there! Especially for non res- in many states. But that is disappointing not to draw that tag as a res. I lived in Az in the 90s & hunted Kiabab every year.

Not sure now if 9 NR points will draw the Kiabab archery next year.
Going to have to see when the draw statistics come out to plan for next year.

I forgot about the tag reduction. That definitely had to of raised. Here is the breakdown from last year. There were 23 bonus tags for nr last year and I believe 19 this year so not a huge difference but definitely enough to bump it a point or two. Or the department screwed up the draw and we will never know. Seems like way to many hunts this year that people were guaranteed to draw and haven't gotten charges. Hard to believe on a year like this a bunch of high point holders decided to cash in.

Screenshot_20210706-191604_Chrome.jpg

I forgot about the tag reduction. That definitely had to of raised. Here is the breakdown from last year. There were 23 bonus tags for nr last year and I believe 19 this year so not a huge difference but definitely enough to bump it a point or two. Or the department screwed up the draw and we will never know. Seems like way to many hunts this year that people were guaranteed to draw and haven't gotten charges. Hard to believe on a year like this a bunch of high point holders decided to cash in.

View attachment 45507
If the dept. did mess up, we will never see the odds report. I think we are still waiting for this years elk report. I also know of someone that “should” have drawn his 2nd choice but still hasn’t got a hit. Guess he has to hunt real deer now instead of the desert rats

View attachment 45507
I know there are several contributing factors but, after watching the slow and steady decline of the overall numbers in this heard...I just can't stop thinking of the THOUSANDS of doe tags that have been issued over the last decade. I started hunting up there almost 30 years ago and, when I look at this chart....it's just sad! Many years ago, I had quite a conversation with the biologist (AM) in which she shared her plan on reducing the heard numbers and how that would also help to increase buck to doe ratios. Again...I see charts like this, and it's just sad!

View attachment 45507
Did this list come from AZ Fish & Game, or another web site?
Simple layout.
Thanks

My parent's had their account charged for another deer tag last night around 9. The first charge came last Friday and now the second last night. Looks like some of the declined/rejected cards are being weeded out and they are reassigning tags for different hunts. Some of you might still have a chance.

Im confuzzled! I just looked at the hunt regulations, hunt #1015 is 12 A East, late hunt, Toprut says 12 A West, early. Hunt #1016 is 12A West, early. The amount of tags shown between NR and R add up to 89, doesn't match any of the hunts. Please help me understand, I have 9 points as a resident, I should be able to draw next year?

Im confuzzled! I just looked at the hunt regulations, hunt #1015 is 12 A East, late hunt, Toprut says 12 A West, early. Hunt #1016 is 12A West, early. The amount of tags shown between NR and R add up to 89, doesn't match any of the hunts. Please help me understand, I have 9 points as a resident, I should be able to draw next year?
The hunt number can change from year to year

Hopefully today!! Been a week since cards charged. The other states that don't charge fees up front can charge cards and send out notifications the same day. AZ does have the worst of all the states I apply for.

Hopefully today!! Been a week since cards charged. The other states that don't charge fees up front can charge cards and send out notifications the same day. AZ does have the worst of all the states I apply for.
Well, they do cycle through declined charges and charge the next person in line so that is a 'good' thing' And that takes some time.

Better than Colo dumping good tags guys failed to pay for, with a 2 week window to pay after drawing, into a 2nd draw and giving them away for no pref points...instead of to next in line.

They are up
Yup, that makes it official no tags anywhere for me this year. But do got a work training session scheduled for Denver mid-September, so will stay on and scout CO elk unit 61 for next year. Tag there for me should be near guaranteed. To wait that long and not scout in advance would be bad.

Pulled a 12AW Early Rifle random NR with one point. Really happy. My second choice was 12A archery - the logistics for that one were getting pretty tight and though I do want to get one shot at the Kaibab archery, at 57, I’ll gladly take the rifle opportunity.

First western rifle hunt.
Congrats. It will be a great experience. All public land and lots of deer. That season can be challenging. Bring your "A" game.

I drew one of the 10 recently coveted rifle tags in Hunt Unit 3A/3C, December 10 thru December 31. Really excited to hunt this unit for mulies. We have tagged a couple decent bulls in 3A/3C and spotted a few mule deer shooters. My wife agreed I could mount a good buck next to my 2013 AZ pronghorn in the family room. Good luck all..

I got the 3A/3C October hunt. My 2nd choice. The new late hunt there was my first. My second tag out of over 30 apps.
Congrats! The 3A/3C October hunt was my 2nd choice also. Should be a good one. I got pretty lucky with just 7-points. It has taken me a bunch of years to get drawn for 3A/3C and the first time in many years I got first choice. Good luck..

I got the 3A/3C October hunt. My 2nd choice. The new late hunt there was my first. My second tag out of over 30 apps.
How come recently unit 3 has become pretty coveted ? I’ve done quite a bit of mule deer Hunting but never paid much attention to that area.

Congrats. It will be a great experience. All public land and lots of deer. That season can be challenging. Bring your "A" game.
I don’t know if I have an A game, been on the Kaibab once for two days in 1999 second week OTC - that’s my entire mule deer experience.

I was really thinking if I drew, I’d draw archery, so now I have to start all over and try to figure out the early rifle thing. Planning on getting there a couple days before the opener and figuring it out from there.

How come recently unit 3 has become pretty coveted ? I’ve done quite a bit of mule deer Hunting but never paid much attention to that area.
It's advertised as a 180+ unit when in reality it's more of a 165-170 unit with a few 180s killed every year. It's gotten popular because NR have been switching to that hunt because it's the next best thing after Kaibab and the strip that most nr won't ever draw.

Hunting media. Mid to high teens point holding NR are looking for something else to use them on and the market provided for them. It’s about like a mid tier 2nd season Colorado tag.

My understanding is, Hunt Unit 3AC were deemed "trophy hunt units" by G&F years ago. G&F apparently trucked in a bunch of big mule deer from the Kaibab and may have even reduced or eliminated tags for a while to establish genetics. This is here say to me. I'll reach out to others here for clarification. Thanks.

My understanding is, Hunt Unit 3AC were deemed "trophy hunt units" by G&F years ago. G&F apparently trucked in a bunch of big mule deer from the Kaibab and may have even reduced or eliminated tags for a while to establish genetics. This is here say to me. I'll reach out to others here for clarification. Thanks.
They just manage it for higher buck to doe ratio. The kaibab story is a rumor. The genetics are plenty good in all of AZ to grow big bucks in any unit if the deer density and age class were there.

Question:
I’ve only hunted mule deer, but this year a buddy of mine got me to put in for some whitetail hunts. I drew 36a hunt right after thanksgiving. I’ve never hunted whitetail or the unit. I’ve hunted desert mule deer , so I know the terrain, and know I’ll be putting in a lot of time glassing. Other than scouting which I’ll defintiely do. Any tips on whitetail in general , and also for 36A?
Not asking for secret spots or anything, just tips. Thanks I’m advance!

Not asking for secret spots or anything, just tips. Thanks I’m advance!
"Just tips" from AGFD

White-tailed Deer

Overview:
Unit 36A supports a good population of white-tailed deer. White-tailed deer are found on every mountain range in the unit, even the small sets of mountains adjacent to the flats.

White-tailed deer seem to like the more rugged and steep slopes of the mountains in the unit. They are also found in some of the lower desert that most hunters would consider mule deer country. In the foothills as well as in some of the desert areas, both mule deer and white-tailed deer can be found together. The occurrence of white-tailed deer in lower elevations has increased for the past decade. These desert areas will usually have ocotillo present similar to those found between the Sierrita, Cerro Colorado, and Las Guijas mountains.

White-tailed Deer have been nicknamed the “gray ghost” because of their ability to remain concealed. They are relatively small and hard to find. Glassing them is the best way to find them. It allows the hunter the opportunity to find the deer before the deer finds him and plan a stalk. White-tailed deer are very fast and once they are spooked they clear out of the country without hesitation.

ACCESS:

The gate at the Batamote Ranch house has been legally locked and no vehicular access is permitted through that gate.

The gate on the east side of Gunpoint Mountain that provided access to the Navarro Ranch has been legally closed by commission rule. Maps and sign in boxes have been added to access points on the Navarro Ranch. It is highly encouraged that you sign in and report any issues that you find while recreating in this area.

Generally, access in 36A is very good. Most of the unit is State Trust Land mixed with some private land. From the East, access is now most easily obtained off of McGee Ranch Road through a gate about 4 to 4 ½ miles west of Mission Road. This road will take you into the low country on the northeast side of the Sierrita Mountains. There are several roads that go out to the east towards Mission road but they are hard to follow and they are not on maps.

There is a locked gate going into a half section of state land at the west end of Pima Mine road. This road is a deeded road and is private property running through the state land and is legally locked.

From the Northeast you can enter from Ocotillo Ranch road off of Mission Road. This route is tricky because you will need to travel southwest through the subdivision to the power line road. Once on the power line travel west to the State land fence. From this Point you can either travel west along the power line or you can travel southwest toward the Sierrita Mountains and McGee Road. There is no longer access through the Navarro Ranch, Indian Kitchen, or the Ruby Star Area. It may be easier to access this area from the McGee Road.

The Sierrita mountains are found in the center of the hunt unit and are the largest and the highest mountain range in the unit. These mountains have no public vehicular access to the top of the mountain. The main roads on the east and west sides are legally locked on private property. Foot access is allowed into this area.

Access to the northwest side of the Sierrita mountains can be obtained be taking Ajo road, HWY 86, west out of Tucson to Sierrita Mountain road and then south on Sierrita Mountain road to the end of the pavement. Continue south on the dirt road though a cattle guard and staying on the main traveled road that will veer to the left (follow signs for Cysco Ranch). This road will take you to the base of the mountains as well as having several roads that leave it. These roads will also take you to different part of the valley giving you access to different parts of the mountains.

This area is constantly being developed and many of the roads run across private property. When the landowners start construction at their site, they sometimes put up a fence and lock off the road. There is no right away across these private lands and they can close the roads.

Access to the north end of the Sierrita mountains can be obtained be taking Sierrita Mountain road to the end of the pavement. The paved road turns west and is called Diamond Bell Road. Take the dirt road to the east about three quarters of a mile and go through the gate. As you travel Northeast in this area it borders the Tohono O’Odham Indian Reservation so pay attention to signs on fences. The Reservation is not included in 36A and if you are trespassing or hunting on Tohono O’Odham Land you are subject to Tribal Laws.

Access to the southeast corner of the Sierrita mountains can be obtained by going south on the frontage road to the first gate south of the rest area. This road will allow access to the southeastern portion of the unit and the area south of the Caterpillar property. The access off Calle Tres is now extremely limited due to Caterpillar property expansion. You cannot access the powerline or any roads further west without trespassing.

The Caterpillar Proving Grounds is currently closed to all hunting including archery. The Caterpillar Proving Grounds property line is well marked and includes a southern parcel of 4,620 acres purchased from State Land in December of 2011. This newly closed parcel includes the Tinaja Hills. Maps of the closed area are available at the Tucson AZGFD office at 555 N. Greasewood Rd.

Freeport McMoRan mine purchased 8,300 acres of State Land in July, 2012. Most of this area was land that they previously leased. Contact the mine for hunt information.

The southern portion of the Sierrita Mountains used to be, in part, accessed by the road going north next to the Marley Cattle Company’s barn. This has been legally locked by the Marley Ranch. Access to the southern portion of the Sierrita mountains can be obtained by taking Batamote Road off Arivaca Road at milepost 17.6. This will provide access to the southwest portion of the mountain.

The Cerro Colorado mountains are in the south central portion of the hunt unit. They are the most rugged of the unit’s mountains. Access around and into these mountains can be acquired off Arivaca road from most of the roads that go north off Arivaca road from milepost 17.6 to the road about a half-mile west of milepost 9.

The Las Guijas Mountains run along the southwestern portion of the unit from the town of Arivaca to the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge. Access to this mountain range can be gained from any of the roads north off Arivaca road from milepost 9 through Arivaca to five miles east of Sasabe highway or Hwy 286.

Access to the north side of the Las Guijas mountains is obtained from the east by taking either of the roads near milepost 9 or 7 north off Arivaca road then go west on the road to the Montana Ranch house. Access can also be gained off of mile posts 5 and 3 but these roads are not traveled as much. There are several roads going north and south off this road. Access can also be obtained from the west by taking the Secundino road at milepost 16, turn east off of HWY 286 and continuing east off the refuge.

Access to the western portion of the hunt unit can be obtained from Sasabe Hwy (286). There are numerous roads going to the east off the Hwy. Many of these roads will take you to the base of the mountains with some of the roads taking you all the way around the mountains coming out on Arivaca road or even Interstate 19.

The Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge in the southwest portion of the unit is open to hunting (except quail and predators) and camping. The Refuge also has stricter regulations regarding the use of OHV’s and carrying loaded firearms in vehicles. Contact the Refuge for specific regulations that apply to hunting and camping on the Refuge at 520-823-4251.

The best maps to get for this unit are the USGS Topographic maps. These maps will give detailed information on the location of most of the roads and waters, as well as the terrain features of the unit. They are available from map and survey supply stores as well as some outdoor equipment supply stores. Maps depicting the land ownership are available from the State Land Department. The BLM map is also good to have, as it has a larger scale so all of the area is on one map. You will need the “Sells” map for this area.

Congrats to those that drew. We should have better luck next year. Will be interesting to review the draw stats when they come out.

Question:
I’ve only hunted mule deer, but this year a buddy of mine got me to put in for some whitetail hunts. I drew 36a hunt right after thanksgiving. I’ve never hunted whitetail or the unit. I’ve hunted desert mule deer , so I know the terrain, and know I’ll be putting in a lot of time glassing. Other than scouting which I’ll defintiely do. Any tips on whitetail in general , and also for 36A?
Not asking for secret spots or anything, just tips. Thanks I’m
Wear good boots, carry good glass, I personally wear leather gloves in the ocotillo and mesquite. Not sure of the illegal situation with the new border policies but i usually see a lot in 36A eapecially in the Buenos Aires NWR. Never had problems but it’s kinda spooky when hiking in the dark and you run into a group. Bring lunch out in the field just because you may not feel like hiking into the same area twice in the same day. Be patient, you will find them in any of the mountain ranges listed on AZGFD website. That’s where I got my info when I first hunted 36A. The Cerro Colorado’s are rougher than the others listed IMO. If you decide to hunt the Buenos Aires, do a little online research they have some different rules on camping.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom